PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Broadcom wireless driver disables Ethernet

musicaldolphin
January 3rd, 2010, 01:58 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505, which has the Dell Wireless 1505 (Broadcom) card. To run the card, I installed the Broadcom STA wireless driver, which seems to activate the wireless card OK. The problem is that once I installed that driver my onboard Ethernet card was deactivated (and yes, it is enabled in BIOS). I had to remove the wireless driver to get the Ethernet back. Does anyone have ideas? I haven't found this problem listed elsewhere. I am running Ubuntu 9.04 with no other problems.

Urnso
January 3rd, 2010, 03:28 AM
I had the same issues on an upgrade from 9.04, my broadcomm card would simply not work. I reinstalled a fresh 9.10 and still could not get my wireless to work.

My fix was to go wired after installation and go to synaptic and totally remove the following packages:
bcmwl-kernel-source
bcmwl-modaliases

Reboot and make sure your wired connection comes up after reboot.

Go back into synaptice reinstall those 2 packs, reboot and your wireless should work now.

Worked for me, if you don't have wired I am sorry I don't know how to do this off USB or CD.

Good Luck!:P

musicaldolphin
January 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
My fix was to go wired after installation and go to synaptic and totally remove the following packages:
bcmwl-kernel-source
bcmwl-modaliases

Reboot and make sure your wired connection comes up after reboot.

Go back into synaptice reinstall those 2 packs, reboot and your wireless should work now.

Worked for me, if you don't have wired I am sorry I don't know how to do this off USB or CD.

Good Luck!:P[/quote]

I have wired when I removed the STA driver. I looked for the packages you mention but they are not present in Synaptic. Should I perhaps reinstall the driver, then remove them?

bkratz
January 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Here is an alternate

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1368699

The bcmwl....... is on the live cd also.

musicaldolphin
January 4th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Here is an alternate

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1368699

The bcmwl....... is on the live cd also.

The driver is present in the Hardware Drivers applet. My problem is that as soon as I activate the STA driver, my Broadcom wireless card is then recognized, but my Ethernet is disabled at that point. I have to deactivate the STA driver to get my Ethernet back.

fxer
July 13th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Any luck fixing this one? With a clean install of 10.04 when I enable wireless via that STA driver my wired disappears...