PDA

View Full Version : heard of these OSes before?

phillychease
January 3rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-operating-systems-you-ve-never-heard-of-657469

ive only heard of REACTOS

pwnst*r
January 3rd, 2010, 01:53 AM
Heh, some pretty interesting OS's in that list. I'd say "I'm going to try some of those!!!", but like most others, probably won't.

Hwæt
January 3rd, 2010, 01:57 AM

That's a coaster, why'd they put that on an operating system list?

HappinessNow
January 3rd, 2010, 02:02 AM
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-operating-systems-you-ve-never-heard-of-657469

heard of most of those, out of all on the list I like Haiku the best.

Rhapsody
January 3rd, 2010, 02:13 AM
I'd already heard about everything there except AROS and Visopsys (though I admittedly knew little about ARanyM as well). I've actually tried ReactOS and Haiku in VirtualBox, and they both look pretty promising.

3rdalbum
January 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
I'd heard about all of them. I've tried ReactOS, KolibriOS (back when it was known as Menuet), Visopsys and Syllable.

If you're interested in operating systems there's a good site I visit every day for OS news, which funnily enough is called osnews.com :-)

handy
January 3rd, 2010, 02:21 AM
This site's an oldie but a goodie:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/09/26/10-amazingly-alternative-operating-systems-and-what-they-could-mean-for-the-future/

murderslastcrow
January 3rd, 2010, 02:30 AM
I wanna' try Kolibri. I think it'd be cool if they built a brand new DE from the ground up on a new windowing system that has GTK/QT compatibility.

Like, rebuild X.org and Gnome with speed in mind, make it fast enough to run well on a computer with say, 12 MB of RAM, then start adding functionality to it carefully, and when it's ready to use, release it (just like Debian). That would blow people away.

I think that, in the next 20 years, we will probably have a very capable OS that's suitable for those old 'junk' desktops, and suddenly they won't seem so junky anymore.

pwnst*r
January 3rd, 2010, 02:32 AM
heard of most of those, out of all on the list I like Haiku the best.

how do you know you like Haiku the best if you haven't tried them all? ^_^

Skripka
I think that, in the next 20 years, we will probably have a very capable OS that's suitable for those old 'junk' desktops, and suddenly they won't seem so junky anymore.

Naw, they'll still seem junky. PS-most systems that I can remember that had 16MB or less of memory didn't even have an ethernet port.

Skripka

That was some srs pwnage you snuck in there, sir.

RiceMonster
January 3rd, 2010, 02:38 AM
I'd heard of:
Plan 9
Minix
FreeDOS
Haiku
ReactOS
AROS

dragos240
January 3rd, 2010, 02:48 AM
I've heard of 5 out of the 10.

Psumi
January 3rd, 2010, 03:06 AM
I've heard of these:

ReactOS, Kolibri, Syllable, Plan 9, AROS, Haiku, FreeDOS, Minix.

metalf8801
January 3rd, 2010, 03:31 AM
I haven't hear of Visopsys or Aranym I think I've tried a lot of hobby OS and I've tried all of the rest except for Plan 9 and Min.

It only took a second or 2 to boot KolibriOS in QtEmu it just to bad it doesn't have a good web browser.
Haiku looks like it could be great but I wish it was licensed under the GPL instead of the MIT license.
Syllable is defiantly something to watch.
I really don't think ReactOS is ever going to take off unless all the companies that are going to be effect by the up coming death of XP ether start funding it or pay there own people to work on it.
I don't really see the point of AROS.

just my thoughts
Dan

x33a
January 3rd, 2010, 04:02 AM
I have heard of ReactOS, Haiku, Plan 9, FreeDos, and of course Minix.

Most interested in Haiku. Earlier wanted to try minix, but that plan never came to fruition.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 3rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
I've heard about ReactOS before, but what exactly is the point? Why would someone want an OS that only emulates Windows when the entire OS is pretty much based around WINE, an application for Linux?

Why not just contribute to the WINE project and work on Windows support for Linux? I can run Linux and install WINE, getting all of the benefits of Linux with some of the benefits of Windows. Or I could run ReactOS and get none of the benefits of Linux and only some of the benefits of Windows.

Bölvaður
January 3rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
I've heard about ReactOS before, but what exactly is the point? Why would someone want an OS that only emulates Windows when the entire OS is pretty much based around WINE, an application for Linux?

Why not just contribute to the WINE project and work on Windows support for Linux? I can run Linux and install WINE, getting all of the benefits of Linux with some of the benefits of Windows. Or I could run ReactOS and get none of the benefits of Linux and only some of the benefits of Windows.

Because there are different goals.
ReactOS is an OS. It doesn't emulate windows, it is trying to use the same API. ReactOS doesnt run WINE.

ReactOS contributes to WINE.

sdowney717
January 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
ReactOS is like toy OS. Play with it and you will soon see what I mean.
The pace of software development will not slow and where will that leave these other Os's? Extreme niche usage only. Linux also started out as a toy OS. So why has Linux been growing and gotten this far?, mostly as an alternative to MS Windows. Somehow, Linux got the attention these others never could. And MS Windows has basically guaranteed LINUX future successes. People are embracing Linux and the ball is rolling and gaining strength.

djsroknrol
January 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
I've tried Haiku, and remembering back to BeOS, it's not too bad overall.

Shippou
January 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
Actually, I have heard of Minix, esp. version 3. If you are using "Modern Operating Systems" as your reference Computer Science book, then you will get tired of him emphasizing the importance of the microkernel architecture and of the constant nagging (UAC?) to try Minix 3.

I also have tried ReactOS, and I successfully made it show the very much praised BSoD. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5976612&postcount=13

Syllable is really something to watch out for

I am really impressed by KolibriOS. When I read that it was made using assembly code, I really was shocked. I do know how hard it is to code with assembly, and dealing with deadlocks alone in Assembly -- that's quite a lot of work.

As for the other OS, I really liked their own concepts of what a desktop should be. And as of reincarnations -- Amiga's, for example, it just shows that what we thought of as obscure and unheard-of OSes really is not just that obscure at all.

I am really impressed by the list. It just shows how imaginative people are, and how dedicated they are to their work. Just like Andy McLaughlin's operating system.

Shippou
January 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
ReactOS is like toy OS. Play with it and you will soon see what I mean.

Oh well. Good ideas start out as toys. Insignificant toys, at the least.

Look at ARPAnet. Based on the obscure concept of packet-switching, it emerged as just a military toy and became the Internet, making it possible for us to chat like this now.

MasterNetra
January 3rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Heard of Haiku, ReactOS, and Freedos.

chucky chuckaluck
January 3rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
linux didn't make the list, huh? (b'dum-ching!1) i've heard of four of them and have even used minix on a livecd (for about four seconds, saving me from having to buy a pocket protector).

HappinessNow
January 3rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
:lolflag:

Simple, my favorite one is the only one I've used. :P

pwnst*r
January 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
lol nice avatar ;D

nexoncore
January 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
In regards to one of the posts on the first page, call me a geek but there is no actual "junk" computers in my eyes, except for ones which are broken beyond repair.

I say this with the following points

1) If it does what its mean to ( even for year ) then its not junk
2) Linux itself has proven to work on these so called "junk" machines
3) Some I like the original OS on, its a statement of the time and is somewhat a charm.

For instance ( forgive me for not knowing the name ) but I love the old Macintosh's from the 80's. The ones with approx 10 inch screen, and a keybord and mouse. With just a floppy drive. Indeed you cant play wow on it, but it was meant for being a step up from the type writer, which it did well. It also set the platform for future macs.

So what might seem like a junk computer, is a gem in its own right.

HappinessNow
January 3rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
lol nice avatar ;DThanks!

Shippou
January 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
In regards to one of the posts on the first page, call me a geek but there is no actual "junk" computers in my eyes, except for ones which are broken beyond repair.

I say this with the following points

1) If it does what its mean to ( even for year ) then its not junk
2) Linux itself has proven to work on these so called "junk" machines
3) Some I like the original OS on, its a statement of the time and is somewhat a charm.

For instance ( forgive me for not knowing the name ) but I love the old Macintosh's from the 80's. The ones with approx 10 inch screen, and a keybord and mouse. With just a floppy drive. Indeed you cant play wow on it, but it was meant for being a step up from the type writer, which it did well. It also set the platform for future macs.

So what might seem like a junk computer, is a gem in its own right.

Is this the Macintosh Lisa?

zaphodbblx
January 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
I've heard of most of them(I listen to WAY too many Linux podcasts!)

mehaga
January 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
That second list someone posted (pwnster, I think) has Sky OS, and that's one funny OS :) You may think Windows is expensive, but... I wanted to download and try Sky OS years ago when it went beta. But unfortunately, beta had a 100$ price tag on it... :lolflag:

Cheesemill
January 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
I've tried Haiku recently, it made me remember the time my dial-up was connected for 48 hours straight downloading BeOS (all 40MB of it if I remember correctly) !!!

Skripka
January 3rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
I've tried Haiku recently, it made me remember the time my dial-up was connected for 48 hours straight downloading BeOS (all 40MB of it if I remember correctly) !!!

"No, Honey-PLEASE do not make a phonecall for the next 2 days..."

phillychease
January 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM

Cheesemill
January 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM

I'd actually unplugged all the phones just to make sure :)

RabbitWho
January 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
I really love the idea of error messages being presented in the form of Haikus... other than that i think i lost a few valuable minutes of my life reading about those OSs...

I agree that there is no such thing as a Junk computer.. but there are lots of computers I would love to have but would not pay a penny for.

I imagine when I eventually settle down and live in one place I'll have a room filled with old computers and the rest of the house will be filled with cats.

user1397
January 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Kolibri sounds insanely hard to develop...two thumbs up to those devs.

Joey1978
January 4th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I thought MorphOS would be on that list.

Twitch6000
January 5th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I like Haiku the best not only does it use the MIT license but it is a remake of BEOS.

The Real Dave
January 5th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I've used ReactOS, both in a VM and native, I was hoping to use it to replace XP when Windows took a...well, stopped working on my PC. It looks promising, but WOW KolibriOS? A GUI desktop on a Floppy? I've gotta try that :)

I've used TomsRTBT (http://www.toms.net/rb/), but as far as I know that doesn't have facility for a GUI. Its an old OS, but saved me a few times :)

Techsnap
January 5th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Haiku is really interesting.

xuCGC002
January 5th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I've heard of 6 of those and used 4.

notanatheist
December 17th, 2011, 07:02 AM
That's a coaster, why'd they put that on an operating system list?

Lol. Dyslexics of the world untie!

asifnaz
December 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I really like MikeOS it is very vibrant and powerful OS . No viruses no malware and no bloatware . It runs on my on 386 with 2mb ram Laptop .

Hats of to Kolibri OS devs . Their os can run a laptop with 4mb ram with no hard disk .

Elfy
December 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Old thread closed.