PDA

View Full Version : We want the GDM back.

hariks0
January 3rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
From karmic onwards our good gdm has been replaced by the new featureless gdm 2.20. It allows no login screens other than the ugly default. Anybody interested in getting the gdm back may follow this thread. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1356482)

Please vote in the poll accordingly.

BenAshton24
January 3rd, 2010, 12:11 AM
I'm honestly not bothered (i'm not using Ubuntu anymore, but when i was I wasn't bothered) I don't even have GDM on my current system... a command line login is fine for me :)

jbrown96
January 3rd, 2010, 12:11 AM
I use auto-login, so it doesn't matter to me.

Paqman
January 3rd, 2010, 12:16 AM
From karmic onwards our good gdm has been replaced by the new featureless gdm 2.20. It allows no login screens other than the ugly default.

It's early days yet, give them a chance. A lot of work has been done on the boot experience, but there's a lot left to be done.

alakazam
January 3rd, 2010, 12:18 AM

this lol

dragos240
January 3rd, 2010, 12:21 AM
Development will continue to progress, and it probably will add the same fuctionality as the previous versions.

The Toxic Mite
January 3rd, 2010, 12:23 AM
I don't give a damn about it, to be honest... ;)

Keyper7
January 3rd, 2010, 12:28 AM
Just be patient, and features will come back.

There is already a Lucid blueprint (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/Lucid/GDMCustomGreeter) on the subject.

MasterNetra
January 3rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
I'm just waiting for the implementation of some kind of theming for the new GDM other then the hack method.

gsmanners
January 3rd, 2010, 12:42 AM
I'm actually waiting for lxdm to get to a release state. At that point, gdm can just take a hike.

ElSlunko
January 3rd, 2010, 12:45 AM
I like the script I found somewhere that changes the GDM background to whatever my latest wallpaper is. +1 for the new GDM!

murderslastcrow
January 3rd, 2010, 02:44 AM
I think they need to make it easier to change the themes from inside the GDM, or have a utility like Jaunty did. I've successfully changed the GTK theme and background animation for the GDM/Xsplash, and I think it's cool to mix the splash and login manager together, and there's a lot of potential here, but I personally think it's quite silly not to give users an easy way to configure it. We need to be able to customize our looks and sounds easily in Lucid, or I'm probably gonna' start building Ubuntu from a command line install instead.

x33a
January 3rd, 2010, 04:22 AM
i thought the current gdm is 2.28 and the legacy package is 2.20?

Exodist
January 3rd, 2010, 05:12 AM
Development will continue to progress, and it probably will add the same fuctionality as the previous versions.
This^^

I personally would have liked it left out for one more version, but hey its gota be tested somehow. :-|

AllRadioisDead
January 3rd, 2010, 05:24 AM
There are alternatives to GDM you know.

Queue29
January 3rd, 2010, 05:36 AM
I voted for all 4 options.

Warpnow
January 3rd, 2010, 06:38 AM
I just wish the legacy gdm package wasn't broken.

RiceMonster
January 3rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
I voted for all 4 options.

this.

hellion0
January 3rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Having some functionality back that was in the old GDM would be nice... but until then, I've actually taken to using KDM instead on my laptop running Karmic.

NightHawk877
January 3rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
I do miss the old GDMs customization, but some of you guys don't know that it's new and has a lot of bugs to wring out. People tend to forget that every new product has things to improve on.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 3rd, 2010, 07:32 AM
I don't give a damn about it, to be honest... ;)

Yep.