PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu on a home DVD player

sudoer541
January 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Has anyone inserted an ubuntu iso CD/DVD on a home DVD player?

I just did this before an hour ago and my player was actually reading the CD. I saw lots of text to a point that it said ERROR, Please insert another DVD disc.
that was kinda weird and stupid lol.

murderslastcrow
January 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
You're mad. But I'm sure if it has a USB port you could get some e17 based Ubuntu on there with a minimal CD (that is, if it has an eternet port or you have some wireless adapter that work work well in Ubuntu).

But I think this would be down to a few very expensive DVD players that actually have RAM in them, and they would be worth more than a normal 300 MB RAM computer you could run compiz on. So you might as well just get one of those from a junk yard instead of contemplating installing it on a DVD player. XD

forrestcupp
January 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
I've never heard of somebody bricking their DVD player. :)

xuCGC002
January 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
I remember hearing that Linux could be run on a PS2, so I put a 7.10 disc in. Boy, was I farther from the reality.

In addition to that, I have the slim PS2.

Techsnap
January 2nd, 2010, 11:28 PM
I just did this before an hour ago and my player was actually reading the CD. I saw lots of text to a point that it said ERROR, Please insert another DVD disc.

Try putting a DVD in Ubuntu without the codecs installed and it will do more or less the same thing.

benerivo
January 2nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Most DVD players should be able to browse the ubuntu disk, and display .jpg images that are on it. Some may also be able to read any text files. The same thing happens on the usb port on my tv when i stick a usb live ubuntu image in it.

sudoer541
January 3rd, 2010, 12:41 AM
Most DVD players should be able to browse the ubuntu disk, and display .jpg images that are on it. Some may also be able to read any text files. The same thing happens on the usb port on my tv when i stick a usb live ubuntu image in it.

thats interesting.

lisati
January 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM
My Freeview (http://freeviewnz.tv) box even has an ethernet port. I wonder what would happen..... :)

(Wanders off to contemplate options for hooking it up)

Edit (much later): not a lot happened. The light on the front of the router lit up but that was about it. No signs of activity. The instruction book reckons it's for firmware upgrades but gives no info on how.

3rdalbum
January 3rd, 2010, 02:48 AM
I remember hearing that Linux could be run on a PS2, so I put a 7.10 disc in. Boy, was I farther from the reality.

Linux can be run on the PS2. But the PS2 doesn't have an x86 processor, it has a MIPS processor. So you need a distribution that's compiled for MIPS and is tailored to the PS2 hardware - this limits you to only one distro, and that's Sony's PS2 distribution.

Melee Antoinette
January 3rd, 2010, 02:51 AM
interesting idea. think i will try this.

sudoer541
January 3rd, 2010, 03:44 AM
My old magnasonic DVD player had been collecting dust for a while now.
I love experimenting lol+

xuCGC002
January 3rd, 2010, 03:49 AM
Linux can be run on the PS2. But the PS2 doesn't have an x86 processor, it has a MIPS processor. So you need a distribution that's compiled for MIPS and is tailored to the PS2 hardware - this limits you to only one distro, and that's Sony's PS2 distribution.

Yeah, I ended up finding out about this later on.