PDA

View Full Version : Sync / Track podcasts from different locations?

zami
January 2nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Any suggestions for syncing or tracking podcasts between my iPod Touch, and my Ubuntu running computer?

For example - I subscribe to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz from Librivox (no really - my seven year old and I have been listening to it!)via RSS -
http://librivox.org/bookfeeds/the-wonderful-wizard-of-oz.xml

I'd like to be able to listen at my computer OR listen via my iPod, and have what I've already listened to marked off.

PodNova is supposed to do this - it's all browser based so in theory, you make an account, then access that same account from your computer, your Mom's computer, your iPod, etc. But, unfortunately it hasn't been able to actually access any podcasts feed addresses I've given it. It's great in theory. Perfect even... but it doesn't work. (alas)

Are there any similar services any of you would recommend?

I guess I should add, I'm not interested in using iTunes! I don't often boot into Windows - certainly not as often as I listen to Podcasts. Also, this is an iPod touch I'm dealing with and it *will not* physically sync with Linux. (Other iPod's will, but the "Touch" wont.)

Thanks for any help!

-zami

Paqman
January 2nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Google Reader?

zami
January 2nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Google Reader?

Thank you! I'm trying it now. If I can get it to mark feeds as "unread" by default it will be perfect.

-zami

Paqman
January 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
No probs, it should detect that you're on a phone when you browse it. If not then just direct it to www.google.com/reader/i/ to force it into mobile mode.

zami
January 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Well, it seems because some of these books are *years* old, by default they will always appear as "read".

Still, this is far simpler than trying to remember each and every long URL for the various books. It's not a perfect fix, but it's pretty darn good!

I also tried Bloglines, but the interface for the iPod is clunky. The actual mobile page displays no feeds (and I can't seem to fix it). And the full-size page displays...
unread items : light blue
read items : slightly lighter blue
Heh! Think they could use a CSS overhaul on their page!

I guess Bloglines limits unread feeds per user by count, whereas Google Reader limits unread feeds by publish date. Maybe Google will implement a count method in the future. I can hope, right?

Anyhow thanks for the help.

Still taking suggestions if anyone's got 'em!

-zami