PDA

View Full Version : [other] alt key in Firefox under xrdp/fluxbox

robertbub
January 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
I cannot get the ALT key to work the way I want it to in Fluxbox running under xrdp (the remote desktop server). Below is the modmap.

ALT works in all cases, except with Firefox. Alt_L-Left does not go back to the previous page in Firefox -- Alt_R-Left does. If I remove Alt_L from mod4, then Alt_L doesn't work at all as desired in other applications (mrxvt, Emacs, etc.).

Since I'm running gnome-settings-daemon, I thought that perhaps changing the Keyboard Layout would help (it does on my machine running full-fledged GNOME), but I only get "Generic Keyboard" (presumably because the xorg.conf used by Fluxbox is brain-dead). (With full-fledged GNOME, I select "Right Alt key never chooses 3rd level" in "Layout Options..." in "Layouts" in "Keyboard Preferences". (BTW, in addition to running full-fledged GNOME, the xmodmap maps are different (both Alt keys are mapped to mod1), but everything works as desired.))

I presume that I'm stuck with "basic X Windows" with this xrdp/fluxbox combination. I figure my choices are

change Firefox to somehow accept Alt_L (which is both mod1 and mod4) so that Alt-Left works using the left Alt key
manipulate xmodmap somehow so that both ALT keys work in all applications as ALT key (including in terminal windows and Emacs)
get "Keyboard Preferences"->Layouts->"Layout Options..." to allow me to select ALT key stuff (I presume that this would need me to allow another selection besides "Generic Keyboard")
I don't know how to do any of this.

Thanks for any suggestions.
$ xmodmap
xmodmap: up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift Shift_L (0xa), Shift_R (0xb)
lock
control Control_L (0x8), Control_R (0x9)
mod1 Alt_L (0xe), Alt_R (0xf), Meta_L (0xc), Meta_R (0xd)
mod2
mod3
mod4 Meta_L (0xc), Meta_R (0xd), Alt_L (0xe)
mod5