PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I save .odp as video?

GabrielWolff
January 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hi

in OpenOffice.org Impress I made a odp slide show of pictures of my kids, including music and transition tricks.

I'd like to send it to some family members, including grannies who wouldn't find the on/off button on a computer if I hadn't pointed it out 50 times before.

So what I need is a simple file format. One double click on the file and it's open. On both WIN and Ubuntu.

I thought I could convert it to .avi or something, but after hours of googling I'm still clueless how to do this.

Does anyone have any idea or better suggestion?

G

Hagar Delest
January 2nd, 2010, 11:08 PM
Does it help: Making a DVD from a presentation (ppt2dvd) (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2090)?

GabrielWolff
January 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Does it help: Making a DVD from a presentation (ppt2dvd) (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2090)?

Thanks, but no, not really. The last post on that thread, concluding the whole discussion, is:
"VideoPPT doesn't work with OOo, it is an add-in for PowerPoint.". Same goes for ppt2dvd.

But come on, people, it cannot be that Impress cannot produce any version of a slide show that is visible, usable, playable by anyone else than people who use OpenOffice themselves!! What good is the program then!?

Anyone else with any other good ideas?

Hagar Delest
January 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
There are other proposals in the thread:
- Export as PDF
- Export as SWF (and then convert to avi or mpeg if needed)
- Use a portable version of OOo to play the slideshow

There may be screen recorders also that will record the slideshow you run on your own desktop (recordmydesktop).

GabrielWolff
January 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM
There are other proposals in the thread:
- Export as PDF
- Export as SWF (and then convert to avi or mpeg if needed)
- Use a portable version of OOo to play the slideshow

There may be screen recorders also that will record the slideshow you run on your own desktop (recordmydesktop).

- I tried to export the slideshow as swf. Unfortunately any transitions got lost, and so did the sound track. Is that my fault or is it just the way swf works?
- recordmydesktop lost the sound track as well when I closed the mic. How do I record everything, incl the sound?

G

Hagar Delest
January 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Don't know for the sound. If it hasn't to be precisely synchronized with the slide changes, perhaps a movie editor could add the sound afterward.