PDA

View Full Version : Kahel OS

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
Kahel OS 01-01-2010 "Light" edition, an Arch Linux-based distribution featuring the Xfce desktop: "Today let us introduce to you Kahel OS 'Light' edition 01-01-2010, designed for netbooks with limited storage capacity. Just like the Kahel OS 'Desktop' edition, the 'Light' edition has 32- bit and 64-bit installers. What describes Kahel OS 'Light' edition 01-01-2010? Lightweight - the light desktop operates on Linux 2.6.32 and uses Xfce 4.6 which is suitable for PCs with low memory and resources; power-packed - the installer is compressed and the standard install is just 1.8 GB; SSD-friendly - KahelOS 'Light' includes Btrfs and NILFS file systems; bundled with lightweight applications - includes Claws email client, Midori web browser, gThumb image viewer and organizer, and Exaile music player."http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05852

Anybody try Kahel yet? I like that it is Arch based but don't care much for XFCE.

I do like the default orange but that is easily changed.

EDIT: fortunately Kahel has a Gnome version also:

Kahel OS 12-25-2009, an Arch Linux-based, rolling-release distribution with GNOME and GTK+ applications: "On this very day of 'gift-giving', three months after our first installer release 09-09-2009, we give you the new Kahel OS (Desktop edition) installer version 12-25-2009. Kahel OS now has Linux kernel 2.6.32, X.Org 7.5 and GNOME 2.28.2 by default." Some of the other improvements include: "simplified installation, the installer appears automatically upon boot-up; KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) is automatically detected, which means faster boot process, faster X server load, seamless graphical 3D effects, faster graphics, and an improved animated boot sequence; faster boot-up - the startup process has been tweaked enormously to speed up the boot process."
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05840

Now the Gnome version I may actually try!...anybody else try Kahel Gnome version yet?

~sHyLoCk~
January 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
EDIT due to troll's sentiments:
Very nice people leeching off arch servers and not even contributing back. They even modified Judd and Aaron's copyright info.
Every now and then they come to spam Arch forums with their nonsense.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=80006

A request: Don't use kahel os. Use Arch, it's already done right.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
Thieves. Leeching off arch servers and not even contributing back. They even modified Judd and Aaron's copyright info.

A request: Don't use kahel os. Use Arch, it's already done right.Thanks for the heads up I didn't know that had a bad rep.

I thought it might be like what Ubuntu is to Debian or like what Sabayon is to Gentoo or what MacPup is to Puppy?

cayote_girl_16
January 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
Thieves. Leeching off arch servers and not even contributing back. They even modified Judd and Aaron's copyright info.

A request: Don't use kahel os. Use Arch, it's already done right.

Thieves? wow, that is some heavy acquisitions coming from you, considering that they did not stripped the copyright license from the file and it is still in original form intact without modifications, also this had been fixed because the christmas release of Kahel had credited Arch properly.

Your calling them thieves, my closest friend is one of the Kahel OS developer your calling as thief. I fully support my fellow filipinos for the Kahel OS effort and I'm offended personally as a 'Filipina' who is proud of Kahel OS, and will go to war with them that you are calling as thieves.

I'm using Kahel eversince their first installer came out, and I too believe that Kahel did not violate anything, because they did not stripped the original Copyright on the scripts.

Arch Linux have been quiet about their own stealing from Crux and they have stolen a lot of code and made many GPL license compromises, because they have stripped the original Crux copyright notices from their codes.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
How does anybody steal from a project that is Open Source and falls under the GPL?...if they are following the GPL?

Giant Speck
January 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Your calling them thieves, you are also calling us 'Filipinos' as thieves. I fully support my fellow filipinos for the Kahel OS effort and I'm offended personally as a 'Filipina' who is proud of Kahel OS, and will go to war with them that you are calling as thieves.

I don't believe he said anything about Filipinos. I believe he was targeting specific persons with his accusations, not a whole nationality. Calm down.

~sHyLoCk~
January 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
I am not calling Filipinos thieves, weird accusations, even if a Software is Open Source, which can be freely modified and re-distributed, there is something called "GPL", please read that license. You can not remove the original contributor's credit and re-distribute that. I don't want to respond to a troll but this is some serious misconception you have.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Arch Linux have been quiet about their own stealing from Crux and they have stolen a lot of code and made many GPL license compromises, because they have stripped the original Crux copyright notices from their codes.

LOL!

loell
January 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Your calling them thieves, you are also calling us 'Filipinos' as thieves.

speak for yourself and don't drag your nationality just in the name of defending your favored issues (Yes, I too am a Filipino), just try defend it on its own merits and nothing more.

as far the stealing thing though I believe they already corrected it, so there's no point at beating up the dead horse.

if they have good ideas, then surely it wouldn't hurt adding it up in your preferred distro list.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
I am not calling Filipinos thieves, weird accusations, even if a Software is Open Source, which can be freely modified and re-distributed, there is something called "GPL", please read that license. You can not remove the original contributor's credit and re-distribute that. I don't want to respond to a troll but this is some serious misconception you have.

LOL!What to do if you see a possible GPL violation (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html)

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
as far the stealing thing though I believe they already corrected it, so there's no point at beating up the dead horse.

if they have good ideas, then surely it wouldn't hurt adding it up in your preferred distro list.Good to hear that it has been corrected...

~sHyLoCk~
January 2nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
speak for yourself and don't drag your nationality just in the name of defending your favored issues (Yes, I too am a Filipino), just try defend it on its own merits and nothing more.

if they have good ideas, then surely it wouldn't hurt adding it up in your preferred distro list.

loell, well said. If they have corrected it, good to know, but still I won't be using it. Arch is fine the way it is and I have the ability to use Arch. :)

loell
January 2nd, 2010, 02:18 PM
I don't use it either, but I did try it.

I like the Idea of seamless Arch gnome , but then Arch could do that more less.

still, it may have it's own audience to cater with. :)

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
loell, well said. If they have corrected it, good to know, but still I won't be using it. Arch is fine the way it is and I have the ability to use Arch. :)

I don't use it either, but I did try it.

I like the Idea of seamless Arch gnome , but then Arch could do that more less.

still, it may have it's own audience to cater with. :)
Okay since it appears they corrected any past mistakes I am actually going to give it a try just to see what it's like: downloading the 64bit Gnome version now.

I certainly hope this is a 'Live CD': http://www.kahelos.org/downloads.php

cayote_girl_16
January 2nd, 2010, 02:25 PM

LOL!

Someone from the Kahel OS dev is a friend of mine, and I'm really offended the way you 'branded' him as a thief.

So Could you elaborate more on this, or shall I give you evidences,

I suggest that you look at Crux's pkgmk[1], and compare it with Arch's makepkg[2], not only that they are very identical, but the Arch devs have totally stripped the copyright notices from it, which is IMHO more criminally offensive than anything your accusing.

[1] - http://crux.nu/files/pkgutils-5.34.2.tar.gz
[2] - http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/snapshot/pacman-3.1.2.tar.gz

I suggest you research before posting any idiotic and offending comments.

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Your calling them thieves, you are also calling us 'Filipinos' as thieves. I fully support my fellow filipinos for the Kahel OS effort and I'm offended personally as a 'Filipina' who is proud of Kahel OS, and will go to war with them that you are calling as thieves.

Exaggerate much? Calm down.

~sHyLoCk~
January 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
cayote_girl_16

There's a difference between stealing and modifying copyrights, and building something from scratch by being inspired by something. Know your facts.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52871

Moreover you should go to the link where some of your developer friends went blatantly in Arch forum with an arrogant insane tag "Do it right", and implied Arch didn't do it right in the first place. Arch forum is against distro bashing and have never insulted anyone's work like this!

It's winter there I hope? If not pour some cold water over your head and calm down. I apologies, and have edited my post. :-)

Regards

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
Okay download complete, burning CD now.

Hey , if I really like the way this looks I may give Arch a try next (since I have never actually tried Arch) :P

overdrank
January 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Please keep the Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) in mind when posting or the thread will be closed.

cascade9
January 2nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
After reading that arch thread, and checking the kahel OS website, I'd be giving kahel OS a nice, wide berth. Even if they have 'fixed' issues, its a bad way to start.....and you might as well use arch anyway.

So you really think Arch is innocent, I suggest you research before posting any idiotic and offending comments, also I pity you for being a total loser.

This from the person who tied to say that because he called kahel theives, he was calling all Filipinos thieves?

Get over youself, and your friendship with the kahel OS...er....'very nice person who just happens too leech of arch servers'. LOL

cayote_girl_16
January 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
I don't use it either

Crab mentality and colonialism is not so rare anyways, so I don't have a hard time to understand that is runs through your genes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonialism

It's winter there I hope? If not pour some cold water over your head

If only we have a good women protection program here in my country, you will be the first one that I'll put some charges with for being verbally abusive and offensive.

This is enough for me, and I don't deserve treated like this.

RaZe42
January 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
I must say that Kahel (or rather their developers) leave a bad taste in my mouth.

@cayote_girl_16: Calm down, reread you post(s), edit.

~sHyLoCk~
January 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
If only we have a good women protection program here in my country, you will be the first one that I'll put some charges with for being verbally abusive and offensive.

*sigh* What? what? what? I never said anything rudely to "you" personally. c'mon!

Ayway do this if you feel I insulted you/abused you in anyway:
On my post's bottom-left corner you will find a "report abuse" icon, click that and tell the mods to ban me or whatever nice things you have to say about me. I am still lost as to why you took it so personally.

Regards

konqueror7
January 2nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
that was an overacted response. we're not trying to go all against you but, people have opinions that may have misunderstood sometimes, and that is what happened right now.

i myself is of filipino blood, and i know that it hurts to tell a whole nation so, so is to anyone. but the poster directed it to a specific person.

never tried Kahel OS for that matter, but wouldn't also not attempt to, if its a derivative from Arch, then it would divert from Arch's original philosophy of being 'lightweight', because they have taken the freedom to personalize and build a 'lightweight' system.

of all things, i praise and is impressed that the filipino devs are starting to get really involved in the community.

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 03:11 PM

lol, that's some drama right there. Wow.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I think everybody can agree Kahel made very bad mistakes in the beginning which hopefully they have corrected and learned the err of their ways. The effect of this is many people will not want to try their distro. Even I am hesitant to try it, but since I have downloaded and burned a CD I might as well look at it.

Let's try to keep the rest of this thread Happy now, please read my signature and have a Happy day.

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
I shouldn't have to scroll left to right with a 24" monitor.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
I shouldn't have to scroll left to right with a 24" monitor.:lolflag:

konqueror7
January 2nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
I think everybody can agree Kahel made very bad mistakes in the beginning which hopefully they have corrected and learned the err of their ways. The effect of this is many people will not want to try their distro. Even I am hesitant to try it, but since I have downloaded and burned a CD I might as well look at it.

Let's try to keep the rest of this thread Happy now, please read my signature and have a Happy day.

make it fast, and post the details! :P

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
make it fast, and post the details! :PThe CD is burned I am just waiting for the Fedora download to complete. I am going to give 3 distros a test spin: Kahel, NuTyx and Fedora 12.

~sHyLoCk~
January 2nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Lol, I didn't even know about NuTyx, I gotta say the desktop setup looks awesome. Kinda reminds me of PC-BSD. :P

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Lol, I didn't even know about NuTyx, I gotta say the desktop setup looks awesome. Kinda reminds me of PC-BSD. :P

yeah NuTyx does look nice, I am ready to dive into them! :P

konqueror7
January 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
The CD is burned I am just waiting for the Fedora download to complete. I am going to give 3 distros a test spin: Kahel, NuTyx and Fedora 12.

fedora 12 would i be interested, the last one i tested was 10 i think, and i really liked the delta-rpm plugin for yum.:P

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
fedora 12 would i be interested, the last one i tested was 10 i think, and i really liked the delta-rpm plugin for yum.:PI didn't realize that Fedora or should I say Yum uses sudo also until now.

konqueror7
January 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
I didn't realize that Fedora or should I say Yum uses sudo also until now.

not by default, 'su -c' is the default, users must always manually add themeselves to sudo...:P

and by the way you mean, 'now', then its great to see sudo as default...

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
not by default, 'su -c' is the default, users must always manually add themeselves to sudo...:P

and by the way you mean, 'now', then its great to see sudo as default...I meant 'now' as in my realization, I was just reading a how-to for fedora 12 that said to use sudo. I'm not sure if it comes by default or not but I will let you know soon, burning the CD now.

I plan on trying these newly burned distros in this order:

1. fedora 12
2. NuTyx
3. Kahel (if at all)

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
I meant 'now' as in my realization, I was just reading a how-to for fedora 12 that said to use sudo. I'm not sure if it comes by default or not but I will let you know soon, burning the CD now.

I plan on trying these newly burned distros in this order:

1. fedora 12
2. NuTyx
3. Kahel (if at all)Okay back after playing with distros a bit...here is the run down:

1. fedora 12 (KDE) - very, very nice even tried to run the installer but it didn't want to like my hard drive so I left, but it is an awesome distro.

2. NuTyx - could not get beyond the French and it looks like an installation CD only

3. Kahel - also looks like an installation CD only also but here is the scary part if you don't make a selection within seconds to reboot or install it automatically starts to install itself. Not a good thing at all.

konqueror7
January 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Okay back after playing with distros a bit...here is the run down:

1. fedora 12 (KDE) - very, very nice even tried to run the installer but it didn't want to like my hard drive so I left, but it is an awesome distro.

2. NuTyx - could not get beyond the French and it looks like an installation CD only

3. Kahel - also looks like an installation CD only also but here is the scary part if you don't make a selection within seconds to reboot or install it automatically starts to install itself. Not a good thing at all I would advice to stay away from Kahel at all cost.

never been fond of KDE, seems always to 'heavy' for me,,,:P

regarding Kahel OS, it may still need alot of improvement as i see it. oh, try changing the red color or your statement, maybe later on the angry poster will have a new reason to rage here.:P

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
never been fond of KDE, seems always to 'heavy' for me,,,:P

regarding Kahel OS, it may still need alot of improvement as i see it. oh, try changing the red color or your statement, maybe later on the angry poster will have a new reason to rage here.:PYeah just experimenting with KDE, when I do use it I strip it down to nothing, very very extremely minimal.

The red is edited out.

konqueror7
January 2nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah just experimenting with KDE, when I do use it I strip it down to nothing, very very extremely minimal.

The red will stay as a warning for all to stay away from Kahel for now unless you have a spare box to play in it needs to become more user friendly.

i meant that red color might again misunderstood...:P

mmm...i think i try fedora too...haha

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM

mmm...i think i try fedora too...haha
:lolflag:

fedora is fun to try. :P

(I'm actually downloading Linux Mint 8 now):rolleyes:

Uncle Spellbinder
January 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
NuTyx - could not get beyond the French and it looks like an installation CD only

Yeah, NuTyx looked interesting to me as well. I was going to try it, but after seeing it's description at Distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=nutyx), I decided against it.

"NuTyX GNU/Linux is an i686-optimised, French Linux distribution created from Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch, with a package manager borrowed from CRUX. The project releases a number of different editions, including an installation CD and DVD, as well as a 4 GB live USB. The distribution is designed primarily for French-speaking intermediate and advanced Linux users."

cayote_girl_16
January 2nd, 2010, 05:02 PM

3. Kahel - also looks like an installation CD only also but here is the scary part if you don't make a selection within seconds to reboot or install it automatically starts to install itself. Not a good thing at all I would advice to stay away from Kahel at all cost.

This is biased and misinformation,

I'm not really an expert on Linux, but I have installed Kahel OS without any problems,
I have a nice KMS, a nice Kahel cartoon bootup animation, my filesystems are BTRFS and NILFS2 on my SSD drives, I have a very fast bootup, only 6 seconds from GRUB to GDM, A really fast desktop, no need to wait for months to get the latest packages and I'll just update the system, and overall I'm so happy with it compared with any distribution I've used in the last 5 years.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah, NuTyx looked interesting to me as well. I was going to try it, but after seeing it's description at Distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=nutyx), I decided against it.

"NuTyX GNU/Linux is an i686-optimised, French Linux distribution created from Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch, with a package manager borrowed from CRUX. The project releases a number of different editions, including an installation CD and DVD, as well as a 4 GB live USB. The distribution is designed primarily for French-speaking intermediate and advanced Linux users."

.Unfortunately my French is inefficient at best.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Unfortunately my French is inefficient at best.

All I can do in French is count to 10! :lol:

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 05:05 PM

mmm...i think i try fedora too...hahalooks like you were right,...I should state that my opinion is that, simple my humble opinion. I would expect people to come to their own conclusions through trial and error just as I did.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
I kinda powerless, and thinking that it's no sense of reporting this to the mods as a offensive and misinformation, since this forums and the mods are biased.To avoid any further misunderstandings or hurt feelings as the OP I would kindly ask the staff to please close this thread.

Giant Speck
January 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
This is biased and misinformation,

I'm not really an expert on Linux, but I have installed Kahel OS without any problems,
I have a nice KMS, a nice Kahel cartoon bootup animation, my filesystems are BTRFS and NILFS2 on my SSD drives, I have a very fast bootup, only 6 seconds from GRUB to GDM, A really fast desktop, no need to wait for months to get the latest packages and I'll just update the system, and overall I'm so happy with it compared with any distribution I've used in the last 5 years.

I thought you were done with this thread.

Let me remind you that this forum has a "report post" feature. If you think a post violates the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct, then report it.

Let me also remind you that no two users will have the same experience with an application or operating system.

MasterNetra
January 2nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
I thought you were done with this thread.

Let me remind you that this forum has a "report post" feature. If you think a post violates the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct, then report it.

Let me also remind you that no two users will have the same experience with an application or operating system.

+1

And relax cayote. 今幸福 is just reporting his experiences with it, I don't think he is trying to attack it. Though telling people to stay away from something that simply auto-installs if no choice is made is a bit excessive, simply warning them that it does that should be enough.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
+1

And relax cayote. 今幸福 is just reporting his experiences with it, I don't think he is trying to attack it. Though telling people to stay away from something that simply auto-installs if no choice is made is a bit excessive, simply warning them that it does that should be enough.Good point I edited out my prior post. It now reads:

3. Kahel - also looks like an installation CD only also but here is the scary part if you don't make a selection within seconds to reboot or install it automatically starts to install itself. Not a good thing at all.

I kinda powerless, and thinking that it's no sense of reporting this to the mods as a offensive and misinformation, since this forums and the mods are biased.

Quoting your original post, I apologize if you find my experience offensive, but it is not misinformation it is just what happened to me. Everybody experiences something different accordding to their hardware it would be impossible to replicate the same event on different hardware owned by a different user. This is why a company like Apple keep such strict controls on their hardware.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
:lolflag:

fedora is fun to try. :P

(I'm actually downloading Linux Mint 8 now):rolleyes:...and here is a default look at Mint 8

Nice and snappy as you would expect any Ubuntu remix to be but I find the Mint 8 default wallpaper pretty horrid (I have to apologize in advance if that offends anyone it is just my opinion).

matthew
January 3rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
To avoid any further misunderstandings or hurt feelings as the OP I would kindly ask the staff to please close this thread.
Closed by request