PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to happen to Linux (and the open-source world) in general?

Shippou
January 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Happy new year, and happy new decade to everyone!

Well, I know this is somewhat of a cliche, but what do you want to happen to Linux, and to the open-source world in general, for the years to come?

For me, this is what I would like to happen:
1. More support to new technology. Oh well, the open-source world is not lagging behind in terms of new technology AFAIK, so I think this would not be a problem.

2. More user acceptance. Self-explanatory.

3. KIS Principle. I think this is what people mostly miss. I think that Linux in general should be as simple as possible. This had been taken from the start from programs that do one thing efficiently. Of course, what is simple to me may not be simple to you, or just plain overkill. What I am trying to say is basically about bloat.

4. Closer and more helpful community. I am not saying the community is not tightly-knit; in fact it is very tightly-knit. We should continue this for more years to come.

5. More support from the outside. Intel and Sun are doing their part, and that's very well accepted. MS is also starting to lend a hand, although somewhat slippery. I do hope for more support from other companies (especially in the world of software drivers, and the hardware world) in the years to come.

6. Better applications... Of course, people need more and more advanced applications to meet more demanding needs. Which leads to the next point

7. but avoid software bloat. See #3.

8. Always be free. Of course, this is the ultimate dream of everyone using Linux (and open-source software in general). I do hope that programmers continue to build more and more open-source programs, with outstanding quality and less bloat, and support for them, of course.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
1. More support to new technology. Oh well, the open-source world is not lagging behind in terms of new technology AFAIK, so I think this would not be a problem.
Linux is the only modern desktop OS that runs decently on my newly built computer. 64 bit Windows XP doesn't recognize my networking card and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) has driver issues. As Windows Explorer is constantly crashing and I get the BSOD frequently when trying to play modern games that run fine on XP and my friend's computers who have 7 installed. That's the only reason I can come up with as to why I've had such trouble with it while everyone else says it's the best version of Windows yet.

Three cheers for Linux. Without it I would be forced to use an 8yo OS (9 years in August) and wouldn't even be able to take advantage of my 64 bit processor.

murderslastcrow
January 2nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
I can't believe there aren't more posts here.

I couldn't agree more with the KISS ideology- we need that. That's what sets us apart from Windows and Mac users, we make everything simple. From our programming languages down to our interfaces, it needs to have a focused and maintained goal.

This is great, because we don't have people pretending their program has to do everything- they're okay having a concentrated, elegant approach to their programs. I hope this elegance will continue to grow in our new applications, and as programs continue to integrate with each other.

I hope we won't fall behind on Qt/GTK compatibility.

I hope Linux is used in more schools, where funds for operating systems could be used better elsewhere in enlightening and empowering a new generation.

Linux has already pervaded our lives. It's in our phones, routers, it's serving our websites, And even running Win32 binaries for us in some cases. It's become THE solution for new technology.

This will continue to grow and we will see the Linux kernel implemented even more often in the coming years. It may not be de facto for desktop application, but if things continue at the rate they're going now, Linux will certainly be the kernel behind the majority of portable media devices, telecommunications, and many other new and exciting applications (hopefully not too many death-bots).

Linux is defining the future of this technology and has been for some time now. People may not use it for their word processing as often as we do, but I want to see how it can be used creatively to enhance our lives in the physical world, as it surely will. Linux isn't going anywhere, that's for sure.

Shippou
January 3rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
I couldn't agree more with the KISS ideology- we need that. That's what sets us apart from Windows and Mac users, we make everything simple. From our programming languages down to our interfaces, it needs to have a focused and maintained goal.

This is great, because we don't have people pretending their program has to do everything- they're okay having a concentrated, elegant approach to their programs. I hope this elegance will continue to grow in our new applications, and as programs continue to integrate with each other.

Nice one.

Seriously, I do prefer a centralized software control panel. This has been done already by synaptic. But tightly integrating every possible functionality in a large executable program: well, that's another story.

What really entices me to Linux (and open-source in general) is that there are SO many choices for a specific need. The terminal alone is an example. Don't want terminator? Switch to rxvt. Or to sakura. Or more. Or code yourself one. Or do not use one.

What the KISS principle does to Linux is that it makes the implementation of programs simple and at the same time straightforward. As Tanenbaum had said to Linux, the user does not need a nanny. I do hope that in spite of bloat, Linux would still have the capability to control it, especially in the issues of backward compatibility.

Linux has already pervaded our lives. It's in our phones, routers, it's serving our websites, And even running Win32 binaries for us in some cases. It's become THE solution for new technology.

Yes, Linux HAD and WILL continue to pervade our lives, despite what the MS camp says about "Linux being killed by Windows <version here>". (Sorry for the bashing; I couldn't help myself.) Linux has given a lot of people chance to "go online": from poor countries to the Large Hadron Collider. It has also provided a way to break Microsoft tyranny; even Intel does not want to let go of Linux. I really do hope that people find Linux not as a toy, but as something that REAL people REALLY treasure and not just a product resulting from a thousand monkeys banging wildly on the keyboard.

Linux is defining the future of this technology and has been for some time now. People may not use it for their word processing as often as we do, but I want to see how it can be used creatively to enhance our lives in the physical world, as it surely will. Linux isn't going anywhere, that's for sure.

This is a very good statement.

As stated by one blogger, "If XP is so good, why didn't it wiped out Linux?" Linux, with Unix, BSD and friends, is really important: without it, how would sites like Google be alive? How would the LHC analyze run and analyze large quantities of data in real time? How would Google Android exist? And other things.

Most people, because of spoon-feeding and brainwashing from MS-infested(?) schools, see Linux as only a nuisance to their lives. If they would just dig deeper, they would see not only how Linux challenges the computer world in terms of price, but how did it change the notion of programmers and computer scientists in terms of source code distribution and piracy: that you can distribute the source code freely and be comfortable knowing that the code would not be pirated, the code would be more maintainable and more up-to-date to the current needs of society, and how the cost of maintenance would be significantly lowered.

I am not saying I am pure; I also became a victim of Linux FUD (see my post here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1113056)). Also, this may be too much of a praise to Linux and the open-source world. But what can I say? Linux had practically revised my view of software, especially in terms of performance and the KISS principle.

Oh well.

Other things I would like to add to the list:

No more zealots. Yes, zealots do spread the Linux gospel, and I do appreciate that. But outright denial of problems that pervade the Linux world (or simply bashing other camps because they think it's cool) is just... well, not acceptable. This does not only apply to Linux, but to other open-source projects as well. Look at the KDE vs GNOME. Or other distros bashing other distros.

More efficiency. I do hope Linux get more efficient and speedier, but also without being too much bulky.

Vadi
January 3rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Commercial app support

matthew.ball
January 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM
I really wish open-source would become even just a more popular term, and I am talking about it's real meaning. It seems these days people interpret open-source as a sort of vandalism. Which is just wrong. I guess for this to work - without marketing - requires that people think a little for themselves. I won't hold my fingers crossed though.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years with games and GNU/Linux. Ideally we are becoming big enough that Valve and others can't continue to ignore us. I highlighted Valve because I think if they crossed, most companies would cross - they'd be losing too much possible income to refuse.

I'm pretty excited just waiting for what Canonical give us. It's going to be awesome. The evolution of Ubuntu, even just since Intrepid, has been pretty inspiring for me.

Barrucadu
January 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
The one thing I'm looking forward to most is the state of graphics in Linux. With the advent of KMS, things are improving rapidly. I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of the year, my graphics card runs better with the FOSS drivers than it ever did with KMS.

Anything else, I don't really care about—graphics is the one thing not close to perfect on my laptop, and I can be quite selfish about this sort of thing :P

Shippou
January 3rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years with games and GNU/Linux. Ideally we are becoming big enough that Valve and others can't continue to ignore us. I highlighted Valve because I think if they crossed, most companies would cross - they'd be losing too much possible income to refuse.

Ahh. Games.

This seems to be one of the greatest barriers in Linux adoption.

One more wish: Security. I do hope "Security by obscurity" would not haunt us when Linux takes off. Oh well. It does the security job well these days, and I do hope this would continue to be better and better for years to come.

jrusso2
January 3rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
I have posted many times what Linux needs to do to succeed on the desktop.

1. Forget the open source war and accept commercial software.
2. Come up with a default desktop and installer.
3. Make driver installation a one click install like OS X
4. Make application installs one click when they are not able to be installed from the repository like OS X.
5. Replace Xorg with something like what OS X uses.

Shippou
January 3rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
I have posted many times what Linux needs to do to succeed on the desktop.

1. Forget the open source war and accept commercial software.
2. Come up with a default desktop and installer.
3. Make driver installation a one click install like OS X
4. Make application installs one click when they are not able to be installed from the repository like OS X.
5. Replace Xorg with something like what OS X uses.

I think this would not really work.

Choices, man. We need choices.

And please. We really do not need to clone Mac OSX.

I am not bashing the post. Just my ideas.

RabbitWho
January 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
This is pretty obvious but everything is perfect except for hardware and software support from certain companies. That's the only problem with Linux as far as I'm concerned, and it is something that has yet to affect me, just people I know.

It would be great if all the computer companies offered Ubuntu or some similar user-friendly Linux as an option (with warnings about the differences and a support line), we could kiss driver support problems goodbye forever, and it would mean so many more people had it that it would be worthwhile for software companies to make more cross platform software.

skewty
January 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
1. Commercial support / contribution. Developers need money to survive in our modern world. Money is development time. No volunteer wants to fix boring bugs. But if they are being paid, they have little choice.

2. Faster adoption / implementation upstream of new technology. It took way too long for MPX arrive! (This goes with #1. Also think of patent infringement / licensing) I would prefer open technologies, but the patent system as it is in many countries aroudn the world does not play nice.

3. Less new projects and more combined effort into existing projects. Lets fix what we have instead of building another broken / incomplete one. I'd rather have one running Cavalier than 2 broken Tahoes, 1 broken Cadillac and 1 broken Corvette) if I have to get somewhere.

4. Better development community cooperation. Think unified release schedules and such. Mark Shuttleworth has been working on this already.

5. Standardization. Think LSB. I want a GXLSB. (Gnome Xorg Linux Standard Base) Installing this standard base should give a gdm login window and an almost empty Gnome environment with Gconf and Gedit and the ability to Configure System Settings).

skewty
January 3rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
We, the linux community, will likely never get good commercial / OEM support until they can reduce linux support costs to something more reasonable. Supporting linux currently entails supporting too many distributions each with their own package management systems, quirks, hacks and customizations.

While the freedom to change and fork projects is great; we need to establish an agreed upon BASE SYSTEM. A new version of BASE SYSTEM could come out every year.

Commercial products need only say they are compatible with BASE SYSTEM Version 2009. Their product may work with BASE SYSTEM 2010 and 2011 but that is not a guarantee. (Different BASE SYSTEMs should exist for SERVER and DESKTOP at a minimum)

BASE SYSTEM would include a kernel version, certain kernel compile options / features, runlevels, scheduler, sound system, D-Bus, G-streamer, Xorg, Gdm, Gnome, Gnome Configuration Apps, a few basic apps like Gedit, an HTML Viewer and a PDF Viewer (which are required to Configure your system and read help documents). (I know I likely ommitted things here. It should give you an idea of what I have in mind though)

We don't need to specify package management since few apps should require more than BASE SYSTEM to operate. If a Commercial app does require additional packages, it could include them and statically link them. I don't like this aspect myself but hard disk space is cheap and if it works with that version of the libraries, it works and the user's need to run the application is satisfied.

Most distributions would not have to worry about statically linked libraries as their packages would not link dependancies in this way.

BASE SYSTEM should be a Legal TM and have a recognizable logo which could be placed on approved software boxes at retail stores. Some income could be generated certifying software for BASE SYSTEM and this money could go back into linux projects.

alket
January 3rd, 2010, 07:45 PM
More users ( I mean mooooooooore)

phrostbyte
January 3rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
TO TAKEOVER THE WORLD!

:twisted::evil::twisted::evil:

sudoer541
January 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
TO TAKEOVER THE WORLD!

:twisted::evil::twisted::evil:

you're so evil lol+

RiceMonster
January 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Make it easier for hardware vendors who don't want to open source their drivers to make Linux kernel modules, which I think could help improve hardware support. It's pretty unfriendly at the moment. Perhaps a stable API? Unfortunately, that's unlikely to happen (see Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt in the kernel source). Some say this would be a bad idea. Could be, who knows? I guess the alternate solution would be to get vendors to open up their drivers and get them in the kernel tree. I don't know which is more realistic.

You can do that with deb, rpm and pbi already.

schauerlich
January 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
1) Better software.
2)
3)

inobe
January 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
i want to see absolutely "NO" dependency for proprietary applications and drivers.

Giant Speck
January 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
I want the community to be less arrogant and actually address real problems instead of 1) trying to make everything look cool and shiny, 2) talking up benefits that consumers don't actually care about and 3) senselessly crusading against proprietary software and users of proprietary software.

inobe
January 3rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Open source

The ultimate goal is to provide free software to do all of the jobs computer users want to do—and thus make proprietary software obsolete.

Starlight
January 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Here's my opinion...

First, more standardization, especially in 2 things: a standard widget toolkit, no matter if it's GTK, Qt, Enlightenment, or something else, just that it's a standard one for all Linux GUI apps, so that it's possible to use all your favorite apps and still have a nice, consistent looking desktop. And a standard package format, so that app developers don't have to prepare many different packages for different distributions, just a single, standard Linux package.

Second, I'd love it if Linux got popular enough so that most PC games would have native Linux versions.

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Second, I'd love it if Linux got popular enough so that most PC games would have native Linux versions.

World of Goo has a native Linux version. :)

Anyway, another wish is that Linux, or maybe Ubuntu only, should have a universal equalizer! I do know this is from the Windows experience, but having a general system equalizer would enable a user configure how he/she hears things.

I've been asking this for years (3 years, maybe?). I do hope this gets implemented.

In terms of cross-compatibility, I do hope Java continues to get faster (and less bulky) such that "problematic" apps like games can have cross-compatible Java-based versions.

Barrucadu
January 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
And a standard package format, so that app developers don't have to prepare many different packages for different distributions, just a single, standard Linux package.

We have one, the Linux Standard Base defines a subset of the RPM format as the standard Linux package format.

Techsnap
January 4th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Stable driver API so if something worked in an older version it's not going to break in a newer version, this is the reason I switched back to Windows and I really think this should be top priority.

Old Marcus
January 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM
The community needs to stop being so arrogant and realise that not everyone wants to give their hard work away.

To paraphrase a quote from some user here:

"I like open source and free software, but I also really want my graphics card to work!"

jrusso2
January 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Make it easier for hardware vendors who don't want to open source their drivers to make Linux kernel modules, which I think could help improve hardware support. It's pretty unfriendly at the moment. Perhaps a stable API? Unfortunately, that's unlikely to happen (see Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt in the kernel source). Some say this would be a bad idea. Could be, who knows? I guess the alternate solution would be to get vendors to open up their drivers and get them in the kernel tree. I don't know which is more realistic.

You can do that with deb, rpm and pbi already.

No you can't, what about dependencies?

phrostbyte
January 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'd like to see more government support of open source. Since Obama is supposedly doubling the amount of science funding in the USA, I think some of that should go to developing software. And obviously all software created with government money should be open source.

RiceMonster
January 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM
No you can't, what about dependencies?

deb and rpm download them automatically (through whatever program opens when you double click on them), and pbi already contains them.