PDA

View Full Version : installed Ubuntu without owners permission

m4tic
January 2nd, 2010, 09:22 AM
My sister's lenovo notebook has been giving her crap and me. I'm always the one she asks for help when xp is giving her the usuals and yesterday i got fed up and Dual booted her XP with Karmic Koala. I did it after driver issues with her digicam and i just had to install Ubuntu. She doesn't know its installed yet(i set a micro size time-out in grub) but sometime in the future when her XP is beyond repair once more she'll thank me

Eisenwinter
January 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
What do you expect people to say? "Oh, we now award you the title of 'Ubuntu God' for installing Ubuntu on someone's computer without them knowing"?

hyperdude111
January 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM
I now pronounce you man and "Ubuntu God". lol.

what happens though If your sister has worse problems with ubuntu and blames you for all the problems she's had so far. Ubuntu is notoriously bad with web cams.

schauerlich
January 2nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
In b4 storm and lock.

Exodist
January 2nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
In b4 storm and lock.
LMAO..

In before his sister strangles the **** out of him.. :lolflag:

m4tic
January 2nd, 2010, 09:34 AM
lol he he, its a confession and i feel bad sometyms

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 09:53 AM
stop picking on your little sister and go out and buy her a new computer. :popcorn:

TironN
January 2nd, 2010, 09:55 AM
I seriously doubt a Windows user with not much (or any) real knowledge with computers will appreciate the open source lifestyle. I have this problem with many of my friends:

Where is MSN?
How can I get Steam working?
What is a colonel??
WHERE THE **** IS WINDOWS???

Yeah... It can be hard

Frak
January 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Wow, good job screwing THAT up. "I know you used XP, but I thought you'd like Ubuntu better, so I made the choice for you."

m4tic
January 2nd, 2010, 10:44 AM
Wow, good job screwing THAT up. "I know you used XP, but I thought you'd like Ubuntu better, so I made the choice for you."

lol i guess i did

murderslastcrow
January 2nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
That's how I was with my parents' totally trashed Windows computer in the beginning.

And you know what? It worked. (lmao, I recommend a more skillful and gradual approach, since I didn't say it worked perfectly)

CharlesA
January 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Not yer machine, not yer call.

^ That sums up my thoughts.

Simon17
January 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
I don't think it was such a bad thing to do. It's not like he's forcing her to use it. It's basically an emergency system so she can still get online or whatever in case (when) she screws up her Windows install again until she can get it fixed.
Her computer is still booting into Windows by default, so unless she noticed that her hard drive shrunk by 10%, this hasn't affected her at all.

saulgoode
January 2nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
My sister's lenovo notebook has been giving her crap and me. I'm always the one she asks for help when xp is giving her the usuals and yesterday i got fed up and Dual booted her XP with Karmic Koala. I did it after driver issues with her digicam and i just had to install Ubuntu. She doesn't know its installed yet(i set a micro size time-out in grub) but sometime in the future when her XP is beyond repair once more she'll thank me

I typically make it a condition of my fixing a Windows machine that I be permitted to install GNU/Linux to a partition on it. As far as they are concerned, it is a repair/debugging tool -- and that is precisely what it is. If they have problems with networking, their printer, the display, or whatever, I am able to boot into the GNU/Linux partition and at a minimum verify whether or not it is a hardware failure. More often, I am able to retrieve information, settings, and even recover data that would otherwise be lost.

I see nothing wrong with this and see no reason to do it surreptitiously. (I will even offer to install a separate harddrive, as a 10Gb drive is more than sufficient and I have lots of them). If they don't want me "messing with" their computer then I am more than happy to leave them to their own devices (though to date my offer has never been rejected).

Tristam Green
January 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
I don't think it was such a bad thing to do. It's not like he's forcing her to use it. It's basically an emergency system so she can still get online or whatever in case (when) she screws up her Windows install again until she can get it fixed.
Her computer is still booting into Windows by default, so unless she noticed that her hard drive shrunk by 10%, this hasn't affected her at all.

i set a micro size time-out in grub

This says otherwise. He did make the decision for her.

Simon17
January 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
I figured he meant he set grub to load Windows by default with the timeout at 0.

Giant Speck
January 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Deceiving others for the sake of spreading open-source software is fun and completely acceptable and honorable behavior. You should get a medal or something.

The Real Dave
January 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM

How would you feel if I installed Vista on your laptop?

MooPi
January 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
What do you expect people to say? "Oh, we now award you the title of 'Ubuntu God' for installing Ubuntu on someone's computer without them knowing"?
Wait a minute I want this award. My sisters laptop took a dive four months ago and she asked if I could fix it. I sadly informed her that it was beyond repair but I could salvage her favorite recipes on the hard drive. I built her a nice desktop and told her that we could use her nice new LCD TV as her monitor. She was so happy about this she never noticed that I replaced XP with Ubuntu. I was thoroughly surprised but went with it. She finally asked me last month why her computer looks and acts so differently. I told her that I used Linux and that it was better than Windows XP and would never get a virus. She exclaimed "great as long as it works". So I guess I'm off the hook.

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM

/thread

Keyper7
January 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
What makes me sad is that, after all the negative responses, the OP is simply going "lol ha ha" like a mischievous little kid.

He clearly does not realize how rude his behavior was, or does not care.

Giant Speck
January 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
What makes me sad is that, after all the negative responses, the OP is simply going "lol ha ha" like a mischievous little kid.

Or he's lying.

Anyway, I find it funny that, based on his thread title, he thinks he did it illegally.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM

.....^THIS!...

(I wouldn't feel bad if this thread was closed, it seems is just plain mean and disrespectful to his baby sister to not talk to her first, perhaps better communication overall would be key)

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
Or he's lying.

Anyway, I find it funny that, based on his thread title, he thinks he did it illegally.

He's feeling so rebellious I'm sure. I wonder what sort of mischief he'll get into once he goes and plays outside.

The Real Dave
January 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Wait a minute I want this award. My sisters laptop took a dive four months ago and she asked if I could fix it. I sadly informed her that it was beyond repair but I could salvage her favorite recipes on the hard drive. I built her a nice desktop and told her that we could use her nice new LCD TV as her monitor. She was so happy about this she never noticed that I replaced XP with Ubuntu. I was thoroughly surprised but went with it. She finally asked me last month why her computer looks and acts so differently. I told her that I used Linux and that it was better than Windows XP and would never get a virus. She exclaimed "great as long as it works". So I guess I'm off the hook.

Thats different though. The OP didn't have permission to install Ubuntu on what wasn't his computer. You just exposed your sister to Ubuntu, and she liked it. My parents are the same, our computer used run XP, but now runs Ubuntu (with XP locked for gaming and iTunes only). I explained to them that they could do everything they wanted, just faster and more secure. They love it. Even my Dad, who HATES technology, uses Ubuntu to Google the answers to crossword puzzles and history articles. When he found Wikipedia, it almost blew his mind, and Mom is glad that she can be sure her Internet Banking is safe. Well, more safe at least. :)

Keyper7
January 2nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
He's feeling so rebellious I'm sure. I wonder what sort of mischief he'll get into once he goes and plays outside.

He does not have to go and play outside. He can be awesome indoors.

http://blog.vortixgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/this-kid-is-awesome.jpg

PartisanEntity
January 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
It's a touchy topic, and I have mixed feelings about it, but I think when it comes to immediate family, we know them much better than anyone else.

Sometimes, they just need a push and slipping them an Ubuntu under the radar can work.

I am not saying it should be done like this always. But if your relative isn't a total newb and generally is not afraid to try out new applications, then this method could work.

Plus the OP seems to have installed Ubuntu on his sisters laptop as an emergency fallback, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Only if it was me, I would have told her about it, since there is nothing wrong with it really.

Marlonsm
January 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
It's a touchy topic, and I have mixed feelings about it, but I think when it comes to immediate family, we know them much better than anyone else.

Sometimes, they just need a push and slipping them an Ubuntu under the radar can work.

I am not saying it should be done like this always. But if your relative isn't a total newb and generally is not afraid to try out new applications, then this method could work.

Plus the OP seems to have installed Ubuntu on his sisters laptop as an emergency fallback, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Only if it was me, I would have told her about it, since there is nothing wrong with it really.

I agree, but I still wouldn't like my OS to be changed without asking me before.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:24 PM
I agree, but I still wouldn't like my OS to be changed without asking me before.
agreed...good communication is key to maintaining good relations with siblings at all times.

wulfgang
January 2nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
I had to install ubuntu on my sisters(who is older than me) computer before because windows crashed, she was pissed.
I have never heard the F word used so many times in one sentence, and I've never called anyone a d.a so many times also, so that did not go well.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
I had to install ubuntu on my sisters(who is older than me) computer before because windows crashed, she was pissed. Your sister is not going to like ubuntu.:lolflag:

Oh No!...

jollysnowman
January 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
lol I hope your 16 year old ego is better now. Look at how many responses you got!

Keyper7
January 2nd, 2010, 03:34 PM

The problem with this reasoning is that it gives too much importance to "what works". Spreading Ubuntu is not a noble ultimate goal.

Ubuntu is just an operating system, not something really worthy of throwing common courtesy in the trash.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:36 PM
People in general prize their stuff, when you go messing around with their stuff no matter what the reason, it almost surely will generate an unfavorable response, unless you're lucky. :P

TironN
January 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hate to say it guys but if this kid is a troll...

He's won.

/thread

dragos240
January 2nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
You can't install ubuntu illegally! What's with the title.

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM

You could under the "right" circumstances.

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
You can't install ubuntu illegally! What's with the title.agreed. the title is mis-leading and should at the very least be edited perhaps to:

installed ubuntu without my little sister's permission (hit the OP's report post button to request an appropriate title change)

mickie.kext
January 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
When Windows explodes again, you will know if it was good or bad choice.

markp1989
January 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM

you would of been better to explain to her why your installing it for her (as a backup) my older sister had a ubuntu/win dual boot, she never used ubuntu , but i put it there for her so she can access the web if she had a problem, she asked me to.

whats gona happen now she notices that a few gb of her C drive is missing. or if she does see grub, shes gona think that ubuntu is some kind of virus

jwbrase
January 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Or he's lying.

He did. It's just not as funny as he thinks. He installed software on somebody else's computer without her permission. She could very likely press charges for that, although she's probably more likely to sic their parents on him than to do so.

HomoGleek
January 2nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
In the UK it could come under the computer misuse act

3(1) A person is guilty of an offence if
a) he does any act in a way which causes the unauthorized modification of the contents of any computer;

Perhaps.... maybe wrong tho

AllRadioisDead
January 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
This is stupid. If his sister is incapable to maintain an XP installation which clearly she is, then what do you think is going to happen with ubuntu? Linux is not windows, and she will expect it to be. Linux has more than its fair share of problems, and what will happen when they present themselves to her?

MooPi
January 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
I don't exactly install Linux this way but have used a boffed XP install to introduce others to Linux. When Windows has crashed and burned so many times friends and family become pliable to the idea of Ubuntu or Linux. Easier intro than a stealthy drop in.

Skripka
January 2nd, 2010, 05:35 PM

Well, Frak-I don't blame him. When someone openly admits their incompetence at operating and maintaining an OS--after a while I'd choose to get them to stop running to me expecting their computer fixed for free.

Like most go to "computer people", I got jaded a long time back and tell people (in person) that your computer is not my problem. You screwed it up, you get to fix it--or pay someone to fix it. Not my problem. Installing Ubuntu on their machine is the least costly way to get a long-running problem to go away.

Not "honorable"....but then again running to family expecting free computer service every week/month isn't either.

markp1989
January 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Well, Frak-I don't blame him. When someone openly admits their incompetence at operating and maintaining an OS--after a while I'd choose to get them to stop running to me expecting their computer fixed for free.

Like most go to "computer people", I got jaded and tell people that your computer is not my problem. You screwed it up, you get to fix it--or pay someone to fix it. Not my problem. Installing Ubuntu on their machine is the least costly way to get long-running problem to go away.

Not "honorable"....but then again running to family expecting free computer service every week/month isn't either.

i can see where your coming from abit, i do get sick of having people buger up there install then expect me to fix it for free, but you still cannot decide what they run. 2 of my sisters run linux (one ubuntu one arch) and they asked me to install it for them .

forrestcupp
January 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
But he didn't change her OS; he added another OS choice to the one she already had. He didn't take XP away from her. That's why I don't really have a problem with what he did. The only thing he did bad was to set Grub so that she doesn't have hardly any time to choose XP. But that's easily fixed.

The only reason that what he did could be bad would be if she didn't have enough hard drive space to support both Ubuntu and all that she would want to do in Windows.

But if it was someone's computer who is not immediate family, that would be a different story.

markp1989
January 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
But he didn't change her OS; he added another OS choice to the one she already had. He didn't take XP away from her. That's why I don't really have a problem with what he did. The only thing he did bad was to set Grub so that she doesn't have hardly any time to choose XP. But that's easily fixed.

The only reason that what he did could be bad would be if she didn't have enough hard drive space to support both Ubuntu and all that she would want to do in Windows.

But if it was someone's computer who is not immediate family, that would be a different story.

i thought that he ment he had set xp as default

RiceMonster
January 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM

Like most go to "computer people", I got jaded a long time back and tell people (in person) that your computer is not my problem. You screwed it up, you get to fix it--or pay someone to fix it. Not my problem. Installing Ubuntu on their machine is the least costly way to get a long-running problem to go away.

It's fine if you explain it to them before hand and let them know what they're in for, so they can at least tell you if they want it or not.

hoppipolla
January 2nd, 2010, 05:48 PM

*puts away the award* ._.

hehe

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
But that's easily fixed.

By who? And how would she know that's even something that can be changed?

Skripka
January 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
By who? And how would she know that's even something that can be changed?

Presuming she ever notices...

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Setting a "micro-sized timeout" will guarantee she notices when she doesn't get a chance to boot to windows.

Skripka
January 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Setting a "micro-sized timeout" will guarantee she notices when she doesn't get a chance to boot to windows.

Meh. You overestimate how much the average computer-user notices about their computer. The only real noticable clue for such folks that something is funny, is the lack of a Start button.

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM
So she won't notice she's not using Windows? Really?

Skripka
January 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
So she won't notice she's not using Windows? Really?

It ain't just a coincidence that 99% of computer support lines treat you like a 4 year old...asking you if the machine is even turned on, etc.

MooPi
January 2nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Meh. You overestimate how much the average computer-user notices about their computer. The only real noticable clue for such folks that something is funny, is the lack of a Start button.
I can vouch for this statement. I strategically placed icons on the desktop for my sister of the applications she would need. Firefox, Nautilus,(named as "Home") and Rhythmbox. My sister wasn't concerned because she had what she needed.

schauerlich
January 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM

She doesn't know its installed yet(i set a micro size time-out in grub) but sometime in the future when her XP is beyond repair once more she'll thank me

I took that to mean the time-out kicked it into XP.

Keyper7
January 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM

What's the problem with refusing to help or openly installing Ubuntu?

pwnst*r
January 2nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
It ain't just a coincidence that 99% of computer support lines treat you like a 4 year old...asking you if the machine is even turned on, etc.

Wow.

Grenage
January 2nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
It's cute that the bulk of this thread is referring to a scenario that the OP didn't even mention.

chriswyatt
January 2nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
I installed Ubuntu on my dad's laptop as he'd managed to screw up his Windows by going on dodgy websites and installing dodgy applications. He's been very happy with it.

I also did the same thing where I tried to put all the things he'd need to use on there for him and made sure I set up DVD support / codec packs etc.. I think the only problem he's had so far is Ubuntu warning him that his hard drive's getting close to death, which is a good thing and he would've been oblivious to it on Windows.

Giant Speck
January 2nd, 2010, 06:58 PM

But it is a coincidence that 64.8% of statistics are total BS.

ctrlmd
January 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
why most of you people enforce others to change in their OS:confused:
WHY not let them chose their own OS

chriswyatt
January 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM

Keep us updated on how she reacts, if you're still alive to tell the tale.

:popcorn:

gnomeuser
January 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Thank you for getting across the impression that Linux users will secretly install Linux in place of doing what they agreed to do when asked to fix the computer, hoping that Windows will break so that they can pressure people into complying with their choice.

And you take pride in doing so claiming you did a good thing?

Thank you, really from the buttom of my heart for reflecting poorly upon the entire community. You are the ideal we should all aspire to become.

You never ever force anyone to use Linux, ever. You don't install it on someones machine against their wish or without their knowledge and consent. You allow and enable people to make honestly informed choices. You do not lie and misrepresent the capabilities of Linux nor of competing products to serve your agenda.

A failure to do so will reflect poorly on all Linux users as a whole, it will lead to disappointed users who will refuse to try Linux again and will stop trusting anyone who uses Linux provided it did not suit their needs when it was forced upon them using lies, trickery and/or deceit.

markp1989
January 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM

i agree with you completly !

Frak
January 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
Choice is for the weak.

sudoer541
January 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
If I was your little sister, I would raise my laptop in the air and it would land straight in your face! :)
why would you touch something that does not belong to you?
I hope your sister installs windows vista on your computer some day and see how it feels lol. :P

edit: yes I meant windows vista, not windows 7!

zami
January 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
I don't understand why there are so many indignant and offended replies here.

The guy installed an emergency partition on his sister's computer. Should he have told her? Well, I probably would have, but then I don't know the full situation, do I.

I'm seeing accusations that he-

-installed Ubuntu instead of fixing Windows like he promised to do.
But he didn't say that. In fact, she's using Windows again currently, so either he *did* fix the Windows partition, or Windows just needed a reboot.

-is forcing someone to use Linux.
But again, he hasn't said that. His sister is booting back into XP, and it sounds like that's the GRUB's default choice. There is no at-gun-point Linux use going on.

And many posts are insinuating that the OP is a rebellious, mullet sporting, indoor-dwelling, arrogant kid.

What I read as a light, conversational post, has turned into a personal attack based on presumptions.

What the hell folks. Talk about poor ambassadorship for Linux... how do you think a 7+ page long thread of righteous indignation and personal insults looks?

-zami

Frak
January 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
mullet sporting

I said nothing of the sort.

Sef
January 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Locked. Thread has run its course.