PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating World of Warcraft!!

donniezazen
January 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hi,

What is your experience with World of Warcraft? What OS do you use?

Is trial version different from full version? I downloaded full version can i use it with trial account.

What is backgrounder.exe? what is Launcher.exe? Why do i get installer when i click desktop link?

When i start wow using wow.exe, it ask me for account and password. Any word is working as password? And at the end i get patch required and i am struck in this endless loop. I have tried this on both Ubuntu and XP.

Please help,
SK.

siimo
January 2nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Do not play this game! there is no going back, seriously. :)

ikt
January 2nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
Hi,

Is trial version different from full version? I downloaded full version can i use it with trial account.

What is backgrounder.exe? what is Launcher.exe? Why do i get installer when i click desktop link?

When i start wow using wow.exe, it ask me for account and password. Any word is working as password? And at the end i get patch required and i am struck in this endless loop. I have tried this on both Ubuntu and XP.

Please help,
SK.

Have you purchased an account or are you trying to play illegally?

If you have only downloaded world of warcraft you will need to update to the latest expansions so you'll have quote a few gb to download.

I would play on xp as I rarely find wine up to the job.

donniezazen
January 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Have you purchased an account or are you trying to play illegally?

If you have only downloaded world of warcraft you will need to update to the latest expansions so you'll have quote a few gb to download.

I would play on xp as I rarely find wine up to the job.

No, i have opened a legal 10 days trial account with WoW. It took me 6 hours to download the full version with the Blizzard's downloader and now i cannot play.

Do you use your registered email as account login id or some other name? There is not enough character limit to enter a whole email id.

Right now i am trying it on XP but it is giving me same error.

Thanks.

Exodist
January 2nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Hi,

Please help,
SK.

Backgrounder lets WoW download patches when your not using the pc or playing the game.
Luancher checks for updates, news and then launches wow.exe if all good.
wow.exe, duh..

Do not play this game! there is no going back, seriously. :)
O god I know.. I played that game for 3 1/2 years straight and gained 30 pounds.

If you have school/college or a life and family. Dont play it. Its very addictive. You will even play it when you hate it.

I finally got sick of farming gold for a whole week just to pay for my epic gear repair bills. I got many high level tunes and a barrage of mid levels needing leveled up.

I plan on playing again come august, in before the next huge expansion. I want to make my level 80 female Rogue into a Wargen.. hehe

Exodist
January 2nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
No, i have opened a legal 10 days trial account with WoW. It took me 6 hours to download the full version with the Blizzard's downloader and now i cannot play.

Do you use your registered email as account login id or some other name? There is not enough character limit to enter a whole email id.

Right now i am trying it on XP but it is giving me same error.

Thanks.

I coulndt get the trail to run in wine. Never tried the trial on windows. I had bought the full game.
Only issues I had installing WOW in wine was Ubuntu would not see the LichKing expansion DVD. It seen the CDs fine.

nickstu
January 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
If you have a friend who's playing i suggest you copy the game folder from him, so it's already patched and everything

donniezazen
January 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
Backgrounder lets WoW download patches when your not using the pc or playing the game.
Luancher checks for updates, news and then launches wow.exe if all good.
wow.exe, duh..

Thanks for the info. What do you use as your account login id? The registered email or something else.

SK.

toupeiro
January 2nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Blizzard has recently required that all game logons be registered with battle.net. If you did not volunteer to do this, it will register the email address you used to create your wow account as the login.

I've been playing wow in linux since 2006 and have always been satisfied. Now, wine support for it is better than ever.

ticopelp
January 2nd, 2010, 11:06 AM
I've been playing wow in linux since 1996

That's pretty hardcore, considering the game was released in 2004.

donniezazen
January 2nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Blizzard has recently required that all game logons be registered with battle.net. If you did not volunteer to do this, it will register the email address you used to create your wow account as the login.

I've been playing wow in linux since 1996 and have always been satisfied. Now, wine support for it is better than ever.

Thanks.

Yes i do had to create the account with battle.net. So, do you use your email id as the account logon or some short name? As i said their is not enough space to write whole email id. How do you manage that?

And, Do you have to tweak your winecfg in order to play WoW in wine or it works out of box?

Thanks,
SK.

LookTJ
January 2nd, 2010, 11:46 AM
That's pretty hardcore, considering the game was released in 2004.
Warcraft, no. WoW, yes :guitar:

toupeiro
January 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
LOL sorry!! I meant 2006

I had 1996 in my head from something else. my bad. I'll correct it now.

t0p
January 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine

ticopelp
January 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
LOL sorry!! I meant 2006

I had 1996 in my head from something else. my bad. I'll correct it now.

I figured, I was just teasing. :P