PDA

View Full Version : .net substitute.

hariks0
January 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
I have been working on .net. I would like to swith to ubuntu for programming too.Is there any substitute for .net in ubuntu/linux ?

Queue29
January 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
I have been working on .net. I would like to swith to ubuntu for programming too.Is there any substitute for .net in ubuntu/linux ?

The Mono platform.
http://monodevelop.com/

Unfortunately, Mono and everybody associated with it gets a bad reputation in the FOSS world. Something about being traitors and supporting Microsoft or something. It's all rubbish, Mono is a fantastic platform and has the potential to provide the quality apps that could potentially move linux based operating systems into some real market share, but only if it's embraced.

froggyswamp
January 2nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Mono (constantly and seriously) lags in both quality of implementation (inc. speed) and release cycles compared to .NET on windows, because of that if you really want to do serious cross-platform stuff, Java could be a better solution.

argor
January 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Mono (constantly and seriously) lags in both quality of implementation

can you further explain what you mean here

(inc. speed) and

far from it mono is faster at some things just like
.net is faster at some things
also mono has support for SIMD which can be extremely useful

release cycles compared to .NET on windows,

how can it lags when mono is released more often than .net
by the way mono is also released on the windows platform

because of that if you really want to do serious cross-platform stuff, Java could be a better solution.
i have used both c#/mono and java and i can tell you by fare c# is a lot easer to use for cross-platform applications i can even use the same binary for linux and windows

SunSpyda
January 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Mono (constantly and seriously) lags in both quality of implementation (inc. speed) and release cycles compared to .NET on windows, because of that if you really want to do serious cross-platform stuff, Java could be a better solution.

Then again, you get better component-based programming, and a far more compact initial framework, and a more feature filled language(C# with lambdas, properties, unsafe code, etc).

However Java is, IMHO, far more useful out-the-box than .NET languages due to the fact it comes with *far* more libraries. You can do things using 'standard' Java, that would take 3rd-party, potentially unportable libraries to do in .NET. Like applets (There are vague equivalents in .NET, but IMO not as portable), GUIs (WinForms is portable, but looks crap on Linux, and GTK# isn't on Windows by default, and WPF isn't on Mono), etc.

But let's not turn this into a 'C# vs Java' flame-fest, instead I prompt the OP to try both Java AND C#/Mono before arriving to a final, personal, conclusion. I actually quite like both of them in different ways.

Is Mono really that much slower than MS .NET? I've never really noticed a difference.

froggyswamp
January 3rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
can you further explain what you mean here

i have used both c#/mono and java and i can tell you by fare c# is a lot easer to use for cross-platform applications i can even use the same binary for linux and windows
What else should I explain? How to draw right conclusions? Maybe also how to google?

SunSpyda
January 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Seeing as MS pushes the forefront of new .NET developments, you can be quite sure that MS .NET will be probably faster than Mono. But as I said before, I couldn't really tell the difference.

How often Mono versions are released doesn't necessarily correlate with new MS .NET features as they are released. Many features are in MS .NET, that are not in Mono, like WPF (It's a MS library, but I would still call it a .NET feature).

I would call it bytecode, executable or IL rather than a binary. And of course, let's not forget that you can obviously use the same Java executable for Linux and Windows. It's a tradeoff - I must admit that Mono is far easier to use and setup than JRE, but on the other hand Java has (IMHO) more OO libraries, and far more of them for a much larger range of tasks. IMO it's worth the extra hassle, over using non-standardized libraries in .NET in many scenarios.

mmix
January 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
vala

http://live.gnome.org/Vala/QuickIntroForCSharpProgrammers

jordilin
January 3rd, 2010, 10:46 PM

Use the mono platform http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page which is sponsored by Novell.

phrostbyte
January 4th, 2010, 02:34 AM
For Mono: one click install (apt:mono-devel,monodevelop)

For Java: click this (netbeans)