PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not Really Fair to Ask This But So Be It

pstefanini
January 2nd, 2010, 05:57 AM
This is more of a Windows questions but I'm stuck.. at an impasse... I'm alsmost there.

I have Ubuntu 9.10 on one hard drive and Windows (anything XP, Vista or 7) on a separate Hard Drive.

To explain... about two months ago my Windows XP hard drive died. I was ok with it, I"ve been using Ubuntu 9.10 happily ever since....

However, I need Windows for work (at home). I've had trouble reinstalling XP on a separate drive but after several attepts, cleaning the original XP disk, it worked!

From advice on this forum, I unplugged the Ubuntu hard drive! That worked like a charm also so I can now boot both systems separately off the F11 key at bootup.... I should be elated... but there's a PROBLEM.

I cannot get Windows XP to recognize my network so I can't get on the internet, upgrade to Service Pack 3 etc.....

Can anyone extend a helping hand here? Ubuntu 9.10 is still running perfectly with internet access etc. on a separate hard drive!

I will be happy to upgrade to XP SP3, Vista or version 7 if anyone thinks my current plain vanilla XP install, with no access to the intranet will be recognized by a new install disk... what do you think?

Respectfully, and happy new year! Phils

prshah
January 2nd, 2010, 07:08 AM
I cannot get Windows XP to recognize my network

I will be happy to upgrade to XP SP3, Vista or version 7 if anyone thinks my current plain vanilla XP install,

What network is it? Wireless / wired? Where exactly are you facing the problem? Is the network driver installed? Check using: Click Start-Run-
devmgmt.msc If you can post a screenshot of that it will be useful, along with the make of motherboard / network card.

Please give some more information about your network and specific problem for more exact troubleshooting steps.

You can upgrade to SP3 by buying an SP3 update CD; or typically finding it on CDs that come free with computer magazines.

However, it will not help if the driver is not installed. Posting more details about your network card will help us point you to the driver. (If the driver is at all the problem).

cariboo
January 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Have a look here (http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm) there is a pretty comprehensive network troubleshooting page. This is an Ubuntu support forum, as ans such we don't really support any version of Windows. This thread is closed.