PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how can i achieve a compiz effect similiar to mac?

higashi
January 2nd, 2010, 05:21 AM
i like the way that windows minimize on a mac computer, and i was wondering if i can get them to minimize the same way on mine.

The closest thing i can find to that effect is 'Magic Lamp', but i dont like that it's wavy.

Vacuum would be a perfect effect, except it wont let me use it as a minimize effect (& i dont like that it vacuums into / out of my cursor)

Any suggestions?

nerdtron
January 2nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Yes. I also like the 'minimize mac effect'.
Any suggestions?

Little Bones
January 2nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
If you go to your Synaptic Package Manager, and search 'Compiz', you should come across the Compiz Compositing Manager. Install the package named 'compizconfig-settings-manager' and its dependencies. If you then go to System->Preferences->Compiz you'll have the ability to edit all sorts of effects.

For the one you want, go to Effects->Animations. You'll see the tab there for 'Minimize'. There's where you can edit the minimize effect to magic lamp (basically vacuum). I have mine set to a time of 400 and I think that looks quite nice.

So for nerdtron that might be to your liking.

To get it without the wavy bit you'll have to ask someone else, or google it. I'm quite happy with the wavy bit personally.

DaymItzJack
January 2nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
There used to be a thread around here where all you do is edit a file and you can set your magic lamp animation to 1 wave so it looks just like the mac animation. It was pretty quick and easy. I never had a problem with it.

nilarimogard
January 2nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
You need to edit the Magic Lamp to get the "Genie" effect similar to Mac OS X: http://www.webupd8.org/2009/05/docky-move-it-to-top-of-desktop-add.html

higashi
January 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks so much, nilarimogard!