PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to install windows and ubuntu in 2 diff partitions???

tattushenoi
January 2nd, 2010, 03:23 AM
I have an 80 Gb Samsung HD.I have created 3 partions .

20Gb , 8 Gb , and rest 40 Gb.

I have installed Windows Xp in 20 Gb. I want to install Ubuntu 9.10[kramic koala] in 8 Gb partition...but when I try to install...

1.the 8 Gb partition is never selected automatically...
2.When I try to give it manually..the error message 'NO ROOT FILE SYSTEM DEFINED .CORRECT FROM PARTITION MENU' is displayed.
3.When i give largest cont space ..it selects [obviously] 40 Gb.

i have tried creating 5 partions of 8 Gb and one of 10 Gb...so that it selects 10 Gb...but it does not...what should i do to get windows in my c:[with 20 GB] and ubuntu in my D:[8Gb]...and rest 40 Gb of data...???

phawnex
January 2nd, 2010, 03:24 AM
which version of ubuntu are you using?
i just installed 9.10 this morning and it works fine. the partiton question asks to put it side by side when u restart your computer. it works fine. but i have an apple, so i dont know how it would be 100% on a pc.

does your pc actually show you partitioned your disc in three parts?

weird that it would do that. try fiddling with the manual option with different gig sizes...

tattushenoi
Partions====partitions*

tattushenoi
i am using 9.10

northrup
January 2nd, 2010, 03:26 AM
In my experience, 8 GB is pretty small for an Ubuntu installation, which is likely why it's not being autoselected. I'd dip a little bit into either the Windows XP partition or the data partition to give it a little headroom; you'll need to take another chunk out of your partitions anyway for your swap partition, if you haven't already.

tattushenoi
January 2nd, 2010, 03:27 AM
yes...the side by side thing gets linux and windows in one partition and then separates.them...but when i formatted windows[i regret that now] linux also went off.....when i tried to install linux again...it doesnt select 28 Gb I reserved for windows and linux....linux goes into 40 Gb....

phawnex
January 2nd, 2010, 03:27 AM
yea 8gbs is pretty small. i gave ubuntu 19 gbs. it says on the ubuntu site and other tutorials ive seen about installing ubuntu that it usually demands 8-10 with all the software packages it includes.

tattushenoi
January 2nd, 2010, 03:28 AM
i tried 10 Gb too....swap area is 1 Gb...

pastalavista
January 2nd, 2010, 03:29 AM
Choose MANUAL mode of installation again and at the partition menu select the 8gb partition and designate it as "/" in the format select area with an ext3 or ext4 file system to be the Linux root directory.

phawnex
weird... have you tried to totaly back up your disk? then totally reformatting and cleaning your disc so its just one unit? then repartition with 2? one with linux and one for ur windows? im not familiar with pc backup utlities but maybe that would work? maybe someone else knwos a better option i had to back up my mac intel with time machine before partioning.

-=hazard=-
Did you formated it in ext3 or ext4? After the format did you pointed the partition on / ?

kansasnoob
January 2nd, 2010, 03:41 AM
I like to prepare my partitions using Gparted and then use the manual option to install as shown here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html