PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommended high-speed internet services compatible with Ubuntu

RSASKA
January 2nd, 2010, 01:57 AM
Happy New Year!

I have Ubuntu 9.04 on Dell Inspiron 1545. Currently I use Verizon high-speed and use Westel Model 7500 router. Please recommend high-speed (i.e. DSL, Cable) internet services that are best suited to the Ubuntu family. I am seriously looking to get away from Verizon, but I don't want to end up with an even WORSE provider.

chrisamiller
January 2nd, 2010, 04:03 AM
Ubuntu (and all modern operating systems) are pretty much provider-agnostic. The modem the provider provides you with takes care of all the ISP-specific functions. As long as there are bits coming in the network port, Ubuntu doesn't care whether you're hooked up to cable, DSL, or a T1 on the other end.

Barriehie
January 2nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
COX is my provider and has been for many years without any issues on their end. Zoom modem and direct connect. Was using Motorola surfboard modems before but they start failing at about 3 years and it's a drag to troubleshoot!

RSASKA
January 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Good Morning,

Thank you all for your responses.

@Barry: please clarify " Zoom modem and direct connect." Is this a special type of modem?

peepingtom
January 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hi,

As long as the ISP doesn't require you to use a special USB device, you'll be fine. If they give you a modem/router with an ethernet connection, you won't have a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol
DHCP should automatically configure your connection, just connect your modem or whatever to your computer via ethernet (looks like a big phone cable) and your connection will work. If you go with DSL (high speed over phone lines), it might use PPPoE. Ubuntu easily supports that, you'd configure it with NetworkManager (right click on the networking icon in the notification area, aka "system tray". You'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck, post back if you need help setting it up