PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot with Win7 on ICH10R Raid5

badogg
January 1st, 2010, 10:54 PM
I haven't tried to install Ubuntu in a while due to some frustrations during install previously. If memory serves I couldn't install it on to my ICH10R Raid5 boot array and I didn't want to give that up. So now I am getting the Ubuntu itch again. :)

here is my hardware:
Asus Maximus II Formula mobo
4GB G. Skill Ram
Intel Q6600 Quad Core
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card
BFG Tech Nvidia 8800GTS-640 video card
2 Raid Arrays on the ICH10R SATA controller:
Array 1: Raid5 with 3 250Gig drives (this is my boot volume)
Array 2: Raid0 stripe with 2 500 gig drives for apps/games

I'm currently running Window7 64bit. I would like to dual boot with Ubuntu, but would like to make sure that it isn't going to have a problem installing to my Raid5 volume. I would also appreciate any pro's or con's to installing the 64bit version of ubuntu 9.10. Will everything run ok in the 64bit version, or will I not be able to do some stuff like the advanced desktop effects and such?

Just trying to make sure I am thinking everything through and prevent as much chance of a nightmare as I can.

So what do you all think?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your time.

gordintoronto
January 2nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
I can't help you with the Raid question.

I have been running 64-bit for almost 6 months. I have endured ZERO limitations due to this choice. I often try new programs out, and nothing has complained about 64-bit. I often use Gimp, Skype, Cinelerra or Miro as well as the normal Internet programs.

badogg
January 2nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
So I have been searching the forums more and more. And I'm still not sure if I should even attempt this being I have Win7 x64 already installed on my Raid5 that I want to add Ubuntu 9.10 x64 from the same array. I don't want to destroy the windows install just yet until I can make sure everything is going to work with Ubuntu.

badogg
January 3rd, 2010, 09:07 AM
Alright, so I downloaded the 64bit iso and attempted to install and very quickly ran in to a problem. The install is recognizing the array that has the bootable volume on it, but wants to erase the whole partition and use it all. On my laptop, it was able to install and share the partition with Windows 7. Any of you guys know whats up with this and maybe have some info that might help so I can get these running side by side?

badogg
January 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM
*bump*:guitar:

badogg
January 6th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Come on, someone has to know something about this. You guys know everything! ;)

badogg
January 19th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Haven't heard anything, just bringin it back up to the top.

Cheers