PDA

View Full Version : Oh, thet damned FUD

machiner
February 2nd, 2005, 03:47 PM
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/02/0420241&from=rss

I went to the report to see what all the hubbub was about. Mistake.

I couldn't believe the distro choices they made (aside from the fact that the Linux distros try so hard to be like winXP...why bother?).

The most distressing part of the article ( and NO - I did NOT read the whole thing - I couldn't...I stop hard at outregeous FUD) was reading a con about Linspire.

Friggen Linspire -- but Ahem! I'll hold...

The article said that it should be easier to :
connect to the web and install software.

Is it just me, or is typing a line so damned difficult? In 1st grade students begin to really absorb and learn information in a formalized fashion. I don't know, but typing:

apt-get install <software>

would become pretty routine to me after -what - the FIRST TIME I TYPED IT...let's not even discuss synaptic.

(I am NOT unfairly comparing Ubuntu to Linspire - see through the forest)

...And when I read that it was difficult to connect to the web.

O - M- -G!. Winmodems aside (if you use one - your bad. Don't expect anything to work. Winmodems use WINDOWS to run. O - M - G!!!) how difficult is it to - again - type a line.

THis same "stacked-deck" argument is so damned lame.

I'll tell you what - if you're not brain-dead, or if you're not already using a distro of Linux - terrific!!! Absolutely fantastic - stay away from it - it's NOT FOR YOU. (actually, a damed fine marketing technique - Linux is NOT for you...you cannot have it -- watch them line up! It's Human Nature)

Using Linux requires the users be fluent in:
reading comprehension
manual dexterity
appreciation
enjoyment of freedoms
breathing.

Really - I know, I know - I will continue to spread the word about Ubuntu, and even install it on computers that I build/rebuild for friends,neighbors,family, customers...but I will no longer support windows, or the people that use it.

Can I just say it one time -- (screw PC) F*&^ING MORONS! :evil:

They deserve every single mishap they suffer by using windows....The writers reviewing distros and or comparing linux distros to winxp - I have one thing to say to you:

Since windows 2000 was released, the makers of that OS have made it in such a fashion that at least visually and through some functionality - it tries to MIMIC LINUX! As well, your inability to produce objective journalism shines through your inablity to produce factual and unbiased writing. You are quite simply - a Hack.

I have to tell a few neighbors that I will no longer support their crap OS, esp the ones I have showed how to stay safe and productive.

Forgive the rambling and S.O.C writing - I'm steamed.

rudi
February 2nd, 2005, 05:27 PM
LOL I think you've pasted the wrong link dude! http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_clap.gif I was reading your post, then clicked on the link, read it... switched back to your... read it again...mind hurt.... switched back to the article where your link pointed to.... "Linspire?! That machiner dude was talking bout linspire...these are all live CD's, hell even Ubuntu cames out nicely!..."

So i'd checked the articles on slashdot, came up with this... i suppose it was the one you where referring to... http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/05/02/01/2334252.shtml?tid=163&tid=190&tid=106

man, i've had an exhausting exam period, three weeks of only studying.. i thought i had lost my mind and was going slightly mad , but hey, just a wrong link! :D

machiner
February 2nd, 2005, 05:57 PM
I'm laughing my fool head off -- sorry for the bad link - and thanks for correcting it.

ROFLMAO. Sheesh...I need to sleep more at night.

rudi
February 2nd, 2005, 06:06 PM
I'm laughing my fool head off -- sorry for the bad link - and thanks for correcting it.

ROFLMAO. Sheesh...I need to sleep more at night.
I second that, sleep good, confusion bad!

btw. is linspire the same as Lindows? M$ had filed a lawsuit at lindows because it sounds like windows...(and they won in Europe for crying out loud, but that's old news).
The website was blocked for some time for european users, because.. perhaps they thought Lindows was Windows...

Well.. i think that article at choice.com.au was written for people who would think that Windows and Lindows are the same.... lame article in my opinion, but i know that a computer is more then a magical box attatched to a TV screen thingy

tomchuk
February 3rd, 2005, 05:03 AM
Dude, chill out. It's an article aimed at non-tech-saavy people on a consumer review site. They review cars without going into the intricies of how a combustion engine works or how easy it is to change the oil - those things are for car geeks; Car geeks don't read consumer review sites for that kind of information. Likewise you, I and most of the people on this forum probably shouldn't read the review expecting details about apt or the proper syntax of /etc/network/interfaces.

Just because my mom can use a PC with Linspire and can easily install software and check her email, doesn't mean that your distro of choice will force you to use a web interface to apt instead of the command-line. After all, isn't choice what this is all about?