PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tried to get rid of dual boot, angered God of Ubuntu

h4nn4h
January 1st, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hey everyone,

I bought a new computer recently (Acer), and it came with Windows 7 (Home Premium, 64bit) pre-installed. I'd been using Ubuntu for a year or so, and I liked that and wanted to keep using it, but since I paid for the Windows it seemed stupid to just get rid of it altogether, so I decided to dual boot. So I installed Karmic Koala next to Windows and everything went fine.
Now, a couple of months later, I realised I had been using Windows almost exclusively after all (sorry, free software! I love you but I couldn't stay faithful), and I decided to stop dual booting. After all, I could use the extra drive space and it would be nice to skip the GRUB screen when booting the computer. I did some googling and found out it should be a pretty straightforward process, with the installation disk. No problem, I thought, since I made the recovery disks on the blank dvd-rs that came with the computer straight after I got it.

So I deleted the ubuntu partition, and went for a clean new install with the recovery disks. The disks turned out to be some Acer-made variety of a windows installation disk, but I (foolishly) thought that shouldn't make much difference, and clicked "repair system". It went fine, until the installation was complete and windows said the computer had to be restarted to finish. Ever since then, nothing has gone right. The computer just won't boot. I get "grub rescue" prompts. I can boot from the ubuntu cd or the windows recovery disk, and I've re-installed both OS-es a few times, but the problems remain. I can get into ubuntu fine, but when I try to re-install windows, the problems start again: either the aforementioned "grub rescue" prompt, or it just keeps re-starting and re-starting, claiming there is "no medium".

Does anyone know how to tackle this problem? I know I'm being vague AND I'm trying to get rid of Ubuntu, which is a mortal sin, but still, I'm at the end of my wits here.

phillw
January 1st, 2010, 10:26 PM
Hi,

It's no big deal, what it is, is that grub is in charge of booting your computer. To put Win back in charge follow the instructions here --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

Sorry to hear that you're leaving the ubuntu community :-(

Regards,

Phill.

h4nn4h
January 1st, 2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks a lot, Phil, that guide was exactly what I was looking for. I guess I didn't find the right combination of search terms, because all I found when searching were guides for those WITH actual windows installation disks...I hope that will solve my problems, I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks for your help, anyway, it says a lot that I could get the help I need so fast here, even when trying to UNinstall Ubuntu!

I'm probably not leaving for good; I really like Ubuntu but the world is just so overwhelmingly Windows that it's easy to get used to it and just go with it :s

presence1960
January 2nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
Ha-ha that thread title is funny. LMAO!! :popcorn:

Raistlin82
January 2nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hi all,

1st love the title of the thread!! lol!

Sorry to jump on this thread, hope someone will point me the right direction.

I dual boot ubuntu and vista on my laptop, and long story short i'm looking to unistall ubuntu and grub so that I only have vista. Can someone point me the right direction.... Seem to be having rubbish luck searching the forums today!! Cheers!!