PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problems Installing Xubuntu on Older Computer

Gillette
January 1st, 2010, 05:56 PM
I've got an old Compaq Ipaq with a 9 gb harddrive, a Pentium III (coppermine) processor with 733 mhz and 512 RAM.

I just used the alternate CD to successfully load Xubuntu on an even weaker computer.

I used the same CD and everything was looking like a successful installation when Xubuntu kept giving messages about corrupted files.

I also used the desktop Xubuntu CD and it acts like the computer doesn't have enough RAM to handle the live CD.

Anyway I then successfully loaded Windows XP on the computer. Then I tried the alternate CD again with the same story. What is going on?

Gillette
January 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM
I think I figured out what the problem is. I used CD-RW dics and this is what wikipedia says about that:'

"Also, CD-RWs cannot be read in some CD-ROM drives built prior to 1997. This is why CD-ROM drives of the age must bear a "MultiRead" certification to show compatibility."

I'll go buy some CD-R discs and try that.

emeraldgirl08
January 1st, 2010, 06:22 PM
I'll be doing the same thing soon. I can think maybe of two things. You may need the most recent BIOS update for your machine and a total zeroing out of your Hard Drive might help.

I had trouble running a livecd of a couple of distros with an old IBM 600X. I had been waiting for a battery I had ordered and tried running a livecd sessions but got a text readout that mentioned something about an ACPI, APM, BIOS (1999) and BIOS (2000). Putting two and two together I figured that the peripheral power management was handled differently way back then. I also figured that a flash to the most recent BIOS for the 600X (2001) would set my dads laptop right.

It worked. I haven't installed the linux distro I want yet but at least the livecd GUI will load. You may want to go to the website and check for livecd run requirements. I'm pretty sure xubuntu like other distros requires at least 256 or a little over 300 so you shouldn't have a problem.

And don't forget. From what I've read a clean install is the best so zero out that old hard drive and start a clean install. I use Killdisk to zero out my hard drives.

Gillette
January 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
I'll be doing the same thing soon. I can think maybe of two things. You may need the most recent BIOS update for your machine and a total zeroing out of your Hard Drive might help.

I forgot to mention I've been using Ubuntu on this machine for several years. The original install must have been from a CD-R.

Gillette
January 2nd, 2010, 05:53 AM
I found an old CD-R with Xubuntu 7.10 on it and installed it from that. It went through the entire installation process properly and said it was time to boot up. At which point I removed the CD and clicked the enter key. Loud beep and then blank screen. Does that every time I try to boot up -- just before you enter your user name and password. I think I'll try installing it from a USB memory stick.

Gillette
January 4th, 2010, 05:04 AM
The old computer didn't have the option to boot from a USB so I bought a new CD-R and installed the desktop version of Xubuntu successfully.