PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Simple Grub Edit Problem

garywright
January 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Greetings all. I am a new user with little knowledge about linux but am trying. I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on an acer laptop and everything is fine except that the fan doesn't work.

After checking a few threads here I found that I could make it come on continuously (which I reluctantly accept as OK and is better than not working at all) if I edit the grub commands from the grub startup menu by adding the line "acpi=off" and then ctl X to boot.

This works fine but I don't want to have to do this every time I start. Can someone please tell me if I can automate this by editing some special file? I forgot to say that I am dual booting with Vista.

zine92
January 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
You can edit the /etc/default/grub file and add acpi=off to the command line settings. The line would look like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off quiet splash"

Must be edited as root.

Go to terminal and copy and paste in terminal

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Then run:

sudo update-grub

Then reboot.

Hope this solves your problem.

Solutions from
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3108939
but edited by myself

SecretCode
January 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm a beginner with grub but I'll give this a try.

I assume you are using grub2, if this is a fresh install of 9.10.

Make a backup copy of /etc/default/grub. Then edit this file (with your favourite text editor in sudo/gksudo mode). Change the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off" Then run
sudo update-grub

eta ... while I was typing that zine92 posted the same solution!

JoeFriday49
January 5th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Greetings all. I am a new user with little knowledge about linux but am trying. I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on an acer laptop and everything is fine except that the fan doesn't work.

After checking a few threads here I found that I could make it come on continuously (which I reluctantly accept as OK and is better than not working at all) if I edit the grub commands from the grub startup menu by adding the line "acpi=off" and then ctl X to boot.

This works fine but I don't want to have to do this every time I start. Can someone please tell me if I can automate this by editing some special file? I forgot to say that I am dual booting with Vista.

Hope that worked better for you than it did for me... LOL It was time for a fresh install anyway... : (