PDA

View Full Version : Linux From Scratch

Khakilang
January 1st, 2010, 07:37 AM
I came across this in a magazine. Does anyone build Linux from scratch to suit your own need and requirement? I like to try someday. Does anyone can share on how to go about it? Is it difficult?

~sHyLoCk~
January 1st, 2010, 07:39 AM
Difficulty depends on the person. It depends on his hardwork, understanding and knowledge. So this is a vague question.
I have successfully built my own little flavor out of LFS and CLFS as a summer project for uni. I don't use it anymore. It was fun.
Read the documentation and if you think you can do it then proceed.

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 1st, 2010, 07:40 AM
It is pretty difficult. If you've never tried Arch, I'd try that first. You can learn a lot, but it's very well documented and you can still customize (almost) everything.

~sHyLoCk~
January 1st, 2010, 07:40 AM
It is pretty difficult. If you've never tried Arch, I'd try that first. You can learn a lot, but it's very well documented and you can still customize (almost) everything.

Arch will teach nothing about LFS.
Arch is nowhere as difficult as LFS. Infact Arch is pretty easy to use and install.

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM
Arch will teach nothing about LFS.
Arch is nowhere as difficult as LFS. Infact Arch is pretty easy to use and install.
That's the point. I'm assuming since he had to ask, that he'd be in over his head. That's fine if he wants to experience the most growth, but he asked whether it was difficult or not, which at least implies that his decision is based on how hard it is going to be.

Linuxforall
January 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Just one simple plain word, Gentoo. That wil teach you about Linux, also Slackware.

Icehuck
January 1st, 2010, 08:18 AM
Linux from scratch is not difficult. It will test your ability to copy commands from the book to the terminal. They explain what the commands are, but they won't tell you why you need them. If anything it is time consuming, but you learn the steps to compile Linux.

I will admit I have compiled LFS like 20 times out of sheer boredom.