PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] certain websites are timing out

davidjacob
January 1st, 2010, 07:15 AM
Hello - Strange issue I am having, just installed a fresh 9.10. The only thing I did was an update and installed the wireless drivers. Well i went to to download my favorite browser Opera and firefox just times out. I can get to other websites just fine so far. Though it looks like Office Depot won't let me in either. If I boot into Windows I can connect to either site just fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

focwiz
January 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hello - Strange issue I am having, just installed a fresh 9.10. The only thing I did was an update and installed the wireless drivers. Well i went to to download my favorite browser Opera and firefox just times out. I can get to other websites just fine so far. Though it looks like Office Depot won't let me in either. If I boot into Windows I can connect to either site just fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sounds like a DNS issue..? See this post...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1361797

davidjacob
January 2nd, 2010, 01:08 AM
I tried to change to a open DNS and that didn't solve this issue. Just for testing, I went back to Ubuntu 8.04 and I can browse to opera.com just fine. I even tried removing my router and plugged directly. Very strange. Doing a trace-route leaves my ISP and I would think its something with Time Warner except for the fact I don't have the issue if I boot into windows or on an earlier version of Ubuntu.