PDA

View Full Version : i wish ubuntu was a rolling release

mamamia88
January 1st, 2010, 06:00 AM
i just installed classic debian today and man are the packages out of date and it can be a pain in the *** to get everything working the way i think it should. so who else wishes ubuntu was a rolling release?

chris200x9
January 1st, 2010, 06:07 AM
use sidux

mamamia88
January 1st, 2010, 06:09 AM
how is sidux? i already got my wireless and video working. just expressing how much easier ubuntu is to use and if it was a rolling release it would be perfect for me

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 1st, 2010, 06:11 AM
"Not I", said the pig. Part of what makes Ubuntu what is is, is the development cycle. Take that away and it would be an entirely different distro.

exploder
January 1st, 2010, 06:16 AM
Just add the GetDeb repo and you can get a lot of updated packages. For Firefox updates you could use Ubuntuzilla. Using these and ppa repos, you could keep you system up to date for quite a while. :)

vrkalak
January 1st, 2010, 06:27 AM
I have a dual-boot of Debian 'testing' Xfce and Xubuntu Lucid 10.04 Alpha 1

I love the ease of a 'rolling release' such as Debian 'testing' has but ...

I also, have the same thing by, always moving my Ubuntu install to the next new version, as soon as it goes to Alpha. Of course, you have to stay on top of the Updates.

I find my Xubuntu-Lucid to be, just as, if not more stable than Karmic or Jaunty was.

I heard that the Ubuntu Devs are looking at 'testing' as a base, instead of 'unstable'.

HappyFeet
January 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM
Just add the GetDeb repo and you can get a lot of updated packages. For Firefox updates you could use Ubuntuzilla. Using these and ppa repos, you could keep you system up to date for quite a while. :)

Exactly. If I wanted a rolling release, I would install one. I like ubuntu as it is.

Skripka
January 1st, 2010, 06:44 AM
"Not I", said the pig. Part of what makes Ubuntu what is is, is the development cycle. Take that away and it would be an entirely different distro.

"Entirely different" insofar as it would still be a close Debian relative, merely changing the update frequency. Totally different indeed.

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 1st, 2010, 06:49 AM
"Entirely different" insofar as it would still be a close Debian relative, merely changing the update frequency. Totally different indeed.
Totally different in the fact that Ubuntu's whole philosophy is "Linux for Human Beings." I think that with rolling updates it becomes even more of a burden on the user to know what and when to update. The changes can be a lot more drastic. Bugfixes aren't likely to change how you use a piece of software as much as an entire new version is, complete with a whole new set of bugs.

So basically, I think it is contrary to Ubuntu's goal, which is to be a complete, free, user friendly OS. There are other distros that do a fine job of rolling releases, but they come with their own problems.

chris200x9
January 1st, 2010, 06:53 AM
how is sidux? i already got my wireless and video working. just expressing how much easier ubuntu is to use and if it was a rolling release it would be perfect for me

it's a rolling .deb, I don't use ubuntu so I can't elaborate more.

Skripka
January 1st, 2010, 06:54 AM
Totally different in the fact that Ubuntu's whole philosophy is "Linux for Human Beings." I think that with rolling updates it becomes even more of a burden on the user to know what and when to update. The changes can be a lot more drastic. Bugfixes aren't likely to change how you use a piece of software as much as an entire new version is, complete with a whole new set of bugs.

You make it sound as if it were a bad thing that people should have some encouragement to be familiar with the systems they run. ;)

munky99999
January 1st, 2010, 06:57 AM
Add the development repo to the 3rd party repos. Just like you would with getdeb for example.

Enable. Grab the specific updates that you want. Then disable or else you'd be prompted into updating to lucid lynx basically.

Lets you grab all the updates and not worry to much about being out of date. Though personally. For any app that is important to me. I am basically pulling it down from svn/git and compiling it myself.

Firefox and such I'm quite sure runs along with patches even on the karmic repo.

Another thing I like to do. Get an apt-cacher server going. Then grabbing the packages off your own network will be a breeze.

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 1st, 2010, 07:06 AM
You make it sound as if it were a bad thing that people should have some encouragement to be familiar with the systems they run. ;)
You're right. Maybe I'm more concerned with the competency of the users than the competency of the OS.

:lolflag:

nanotube
January 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
fwiw, i wish there was a rolling release option for ubuntu, too. though know that it'll probably never happen, and that i should check out arch on sidux for this instead. :)

jimi_hendrix
January 3rd, 2010, 03:53 PM

Sidux is amazing (posted from sidux)

markp1989
January 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
i would like rolling release ubuntu, with packages not as new as arch, but alot newer then 6months old lol

insane_alien
January 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
perhaps we could set it up so that there is a rolling release, but also 6 month releases which are essentially snapshots and given extra support(security and bugfix releases like now.)

MasterNetra
January 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Caronical could always branchout a rolling release version of Ubuntu. and still keep the development cycle version or someone could create it. Just a thought.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
An advantage to Ubuntu's development cycle is that it provides a stable target for developers to build new software for, rather than the moving target from a rolling release distro.

Mark is always encouraging cadence across the community for releases, which fits this approach very well. That way, major releases could happen on similar rhythms so that more stable target provided by Ubuntu is still nice, up to date and powerful :)

Hallvor
January 3rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
i just installed classic debian today and man are the packages out of date and it can be a pain in the *** to get everything working the way i think it should. so who else wishes ubuntu was a rolling release?

If you are unhappy, you should try something else. There are easy rolling release distros, like PCLinuxOS, a little harder rolling release distros, like Sidux, or hard ones, like Gentoo. Take your pick.

juancarlospaco
January 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
It is rolling release, you can update everytime you want to Lucid right now...
:)