PDA

View Full Version : How crap is the xbox?

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 12:17 AM
Well, the reason i am writing this is that i can't get it to accepts certain files.
If i look at the microsoft page, it lists all the files i have but refuses to play them if i select them.

I tried now several application but none work for me so far.
That includes fuppes, ushare, twonkey (reset all day) and some others.
I have now a PS3 application which i will try. It supposed to work on the basic level.
But i think i have to consider a different media hub to play all the files.
What would be there as alternatives to get everything running and playing?
Internet PC (Atom) or anything else.
I do love gaming on the xbox, but streaming is a horror. :(

cowlip1
January 1st, 2010, 12:41 AM
Well, the reason i am writing this is that i can't get it to accepts certain files.
If i look at the microsoft page, it lists all the files i have but refuses to play them if i select them.

I have now a PS3 application which i will try. It supposed to work on the basic level.

XBMC is great. You can put it on a Mac Mini or Apple TV or any entertainment PC you want, or get an original Xbox off of eBay and mod it (be warned that the original Xbox is not powerful enough to play a lot of Hi-Def stuff--but I don't care at all!).

http://xbmc.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC

EDIT: Of course, this is if you mean getting a new "internet hub" as getting one of those systems...otherwise ignore this post!

pwnst*r
January 1st, 2010, 01:21 AM

xbox or 360? what files are you having issues with?

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 02:38 AM
xbox or 360? what files are you having issues with?

I am sorry. I am always asuming 360, but forget there was a pretecessor.
Its the 360 and the issue i have is with mostly my video files.
I encoded them with handbrake, so there are default H264./AAC.
Even some oddly avi's don't play. Haven't found a workaround this so far, but from what i have tried, nothing has worked completly.
ushare did work to some extent. But i had problems with picture files or more specific with folders. It did display one, but not the other one. I modified the config but to success.
Then i tried twonky. Worked actually pretty good, but it resets over time for some reason and to be honest, i did not borthered to find out why.
Then came alone fuppes. Honestly it took a long time to build the database (over night) and it did not connect to the xbox. Fuppes seems to see the xbox as an device, but xbox fails to see fuppes.
I think i need an dummy guide for that :(
But from what i was reading, the xbox blocks some content.

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 02:43 AM
XBMC is great. You can put it on a Mac Mini or Apple TV or any entertainment PC you want, or get an original Xbox off of eBay and mod it (be warned that the original Xbox is not powerful enough to play a lot of Hi-Def stuff--but I don't care at all!).

http://xbmc.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC

EDIT: Of course, this is if you mean getting a new "internet hub" as getting one of those systems...otherwise ignore this post!

Let me try XBMC. Looks kinda need. It even runs from a USB stick :)I'll give it a try. thanks

pwnst*r
January 1st, 2010, 03:00 AM

if you have a windows install tversity works awesome.

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 06:58 AM
Actually, i finally gotten the PS3 Media Server running.
Very simple indeed and its transcoding fine too.

If you look for a simple solution, you should use this.
Runs on Java. :lolflag:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

munky99999
January 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original xbox with modchip actually was pretty good.
New xbox360 isnt really moddable; so practically useless.
Old Ps3 had full support from sony in putting linux on it.
New Ps3 is all locked up.

Honestly I dont really like consoles for gaming. Mouse and keyboard >>>>> pad.

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 1st, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original xbox with modchip actually was pretty good.
New xbox360 isnt really moddable; so practically useless.
Old Ps3 had full support from sony in putting linux on it.
New Ps3 is all locked up.

Honestly I dont really like consoles for gaming. Mouse and keyboard >>>>> pad.I get more immersed with a gamepad, especially with rumbleshock, triggers, etc. The mouse and keyboard will always have a special place in my heart, but I don't buy that old way of thinking.

Edit: Before I get pounced on, I need to make it clear that I know that a mouse and keyboard is more accurate.

hansdown
January 1st, 2010, 07:16 AM
Erm... That's great yester64!

What happened with the 360?

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 07:29 AM
Erm... That's great yester64!

What happened with the 360?

Nothing.
The PS3 Media Center works with the Xbox 360 now. 360 will be seen and the console sees the media center.
Works good and much easier than ushare or fuppes. At least for my purpose.
You don't need to setup the media center either. Kinda foolproof.
And since it worked, i marked it solved.

with all the other programs i had problems. Some worked partly or not at all and i did not want to dig in further really.
XBMC looks nice, but it had some problems with my harddrive and with livecd it did not see my harddrive.

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM
I get more immersed with a gamepad, especially with rumbleshock, triggers, etc. The mouse and keyboard will always have a special place in my heart, but I don't buy that old way of thinking.

Edit: Before I get pounced on, I need to make it clear that I know that a mouse and keyboard is more accurate.

I think strategie, sims and fps works best with mouse and keyboard. Everything else is good for gamepad.
But to be honest, to me it matters more for what it was intented in the first place. I never had the money to buy the best gfx card to enjoy the highest resolution. And i like the easy setup on a console, versus making stuff working on the pc sometimes. But thats just me really.

t4nc
January 1st, 2010, 04:38 PM
Microsoft are playing the long con on the 360.

1)Unreliable hardware (RRoD, disk scratching).
2)Harddrives that run out of space quickly, but can be handily upgraded with larger Microsoft only replacements.
3)Wireless controllers that eat batteries fast, but you can handily replace them with a Microsoft rechargeable battery kit.
4)No built in WiFi unlike both of its rivals, problem handily solved with a Microsoft WiFi adapter.
5)Xbox Live Gold is too expensive, and you only get online multiplayer with gold, not Silver, oh no sir-ee. Both of its rivals are free.

I've seen the light, my 360 is getting traded in for a PS3 Slim.

pwnst*r
January 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM
@OP: so in the end your problem had nothing to do with the 360, and everything to do with what software you decided to choose that actually worked in CONJUNCTION with the 360.

the 360 works as designed.

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 06:39 PM
@OP: so in the end your problem had nothing to do with the 360, and everything to do with what software you decided to choose that actually worked in CONJUNCTION with the 360.

the 360 works as designed.

I''ll guess you can say it so.
In the end, it does work now. That all i want it.
The only thing i like to mention is, that the ps3 media manager does not have a database which means everything will be scaned in live.
But it was the easiest software to setup.
I hope that helps other people too.

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Microsoft are playing the long con on the 360.

1)Unreliable hardware (RRoD, disk scratching).
2)Harddrives that run out of space quickly, but can be handily upgraded with larger Microsoft only replacements.
3)Wireless controllers that eat batteries fast, but you can handily replace them with a Microsoft rechargeable battery kit.
4)No built in WiFi unlike both of its rivals, problem handily solved with a Microsoft WiFi adapter.
5)Xbox Live Gold is too expensive, and you only get online multiplayer with gold, not Silver, oh no sir-ee. Both of its rivals are free.

I've seen the light, my 360 is getting traded in for a PS3 Slim.

Mm.. without going in the much details, i can tell you that i was disappointed in the fact, that the console has some lag issues.
That might be by design or else. Not sure.
Problem is, i like Fable so that why i got the xbox. Even though it is not a hardcore rpg but it is so fun to play.
Live is expansive. But worst is, that once you place your cc information into you live account it is available all over. I don't like that but i have no idea how sony or nintendo do it.
So far, the console works fine and i like it for netflix. Now netflix is available also on the ps3 so it not a plus for the 360 anymore.
I hope it will last (please) :) so that i don't have to send it in.

pwnst*r
January 1st, 2010, 07:02 PM
i'll be trying that ps3mediacenter since i have both consoles - tversity works, but it's heavy and i don't need that interface.

johnboy1313
January 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM
My xbox died about a year and a half ago now from typical microsoft red light of death failure, i refuse to buy any other microsoft product until they at least attempt to fix that which has not been done as of yet. PS3 for the win.

pwnst*r
January 1st, 2010, 07:14 PM
My xbox died about a year and a half ago now from typical microsoft red light of death failure, i refuse to buy any other microsoft product until they at least attempt to fix that which has not been done as of yet. PS3 for the win.

cool story, bro.

t4nc
January 1st, 2010, 07:20 PM
Mm.. without going in the much details, i can tell you that i was disappointed in the fact, that the console has some lag issues.
That might be by design or else. Not sure.
Problem is, i like Fable so that why i got the xbox. Even though it is not a hardcore rpg but it is so fun to play.
Live is expansive. But worst is, that once you place your cc information into you live account it is available all over. I don't like that but i have no idea how sony or nintendo do it.
So far, the console works fine and i like it for netflix. Now netflix is available also on the ps3 so it not a plus for the 360 anymore.
I hope it will last (please) :) so that i don't have to send it in.

Do you mean expensive?

t4nc
January 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM

What about the Wii? :(

pwnst*r
January 1st, 2010, 07:27 PM
i think the OP should change the title since it's wrong and not a reflection of what his issues were.

t4nc
January 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM
i think the OP should change the title since it's wrong and not a reflection of what his issues were.

cool story, bro.

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM
i'll be trying that ps3mediacenter since i have both consoles - tversity works, but it's heavy and i don't need that interface.

The only thing i can tell you is, that i started the program first and then i fired up the xbox and everything worked.
My first attempt went like yours, meaning the xbox did not see the media manager.

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 07:58 PM

I thought that is covered for 3 years with MS. Wasn't it?

pwnst*r
January 1st, 2010, 07:59 PM
um.. i never said i had issues with the xbox streaming media.

yester64
January 1st, 2010, 08:08 PM

I don't think i can, or can i?

pwnst*r
January 1st, 2010, 11:31 PM
I don't think i can, or can i?

report it same as requesting ^_^

mickie.kext
January 1st, 2010, 11:38 PM
How crap is the xbox?
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/GuyzieMan/RedRingOfDeath.png

johnboy1313
January 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
I thought that is covered for 3 years with MS. Wasn't it?

it does but my was past the warranty

MaxCarnage
January 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
I use uShare and have never had any problems with it. The interface is tiny and simple, and I haven't had an issue streaming anything that the Xbox can decode natively (which is basically everything I have). Not sure what problems you had with it, but it's pretty easy to figure out if you just **** around with it a little bit. Although I guess it doesn't matter now since you solved your problem.

yester64
January 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
yes, i solved it with the ps3 media manager.
ushare did work, but had problems with some of my folders. so it worked partly only for me.
i am happy now :)