PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo is a...... file manager?

dragos240
December 31st, 2009, 09:04 PM
I was bored, so I typed in 'gentoo' into my terminal. And this happened:

dragos@dragos-desktop:~$ gentoo
The program 'gentoo' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install gentoo
gentoo: command not found

At this time, I'm just thinking "It's going to install gentoo (linux) on my system?". So I searched it up.

dragos@dragos-desktop:~$ apt-cache search gentoo
bitbake - build system used for embedded Linux distributions
gentoo - a fully GUI-configurable, two-pane X file manager
libmodule-packaged-perl - Report upon packages of CPAN distributions
whohas - query multiple distributions' package archives

Who knew!

JDShu
December 31st, 2009, 09:07 PM
I used to use this a lot when I used the Gentoo (the distribution). Its a nice and simple application and at the time, nautilus was terrible (or maybe I was a linux noob).

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 31st, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hehe, random terminal commands are fun :)

RiceMonster
December 31st, 2009, 09:10 PM
I think I remember reading about that somewhere before. Never tried it.

dragos240
December 31st, 2009, 09:10 PM
I used to use this a lot when I used the Gentoo (the distribution). Its a nice and simple application and at the time, nautilus was terrible (or maybe I was a linux noob).

Actually, nautilus IS aweful. It's big, clunky, and takes up more ram than needed. I still use it though. I'm just used to it. Much more than thunar, mc, or gentoo.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 31st, 2009, 09:18 PM
Actually, nautilus IS aweful. It's big, clunky, and takes up more ram than needed. I still use it though. I'm just used to it. Much more than thunar, mc, or gentoo.
Thunar was okay. I missed my traditional (coming from a Doze background) back/forward and up arrow buttons. Are those available in Thunar because I use them a lot.

koleoptero
December 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Thunar was okay. I missed my traditional (coming from a Doze background) back/forward and up arrow buttons. Are those available in Thunar because I use them a lot.

Yes.

JDShu
December 31st, 2009, 09:28 PM

haha I guess I was using a previous generation of laptops, which had significantly less power than my current computer, and thus the clunkiness of nautilus was more noticeable.

RiceMonster
December 31st, 2009, 09:32 PM

View > Location Selector > Toolbar Style

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 31st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks 8-)

juancarlospaco
December 31st, 2009, 11:30 PM
Gentoo with Gentoo, nice!

The Real Dave
December 31st, 2009, 11:53 PM
Typing random commands because your bored? :lolflag: I thought I was the only one :)

I loved this one

ar -r God

It just creates an empty archive, but what does it print when it does that? This of course;

dave@two-face:~$ ar -r God
ar: creating God