PDA

View Full Version : How do you watch TV?

Cowchip7
December 31st, 2009, 08:03 PM
I am curious how everyone watches TV, we we have such a diverse group in this forum. I had cable television all my life but recently made the switch over the air (free) broadcasting. I am amazed at the number of channels and quality of video. The high definition is amazing. I don't think I will ever pay for cable again!

I supplement my bunny ears with a Netflix account, Roku player, and Bluray player. :P

nubimax
December 31st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Never watch it anymore. no need get the news from the internet.
M.

lisati
December 31st, 2009, 08:12 PM
Although I have video capture cards with analogue, I rarely use them these days. The 11 TV stations I can get through the Freeview (http://www.freeviewnz.tv/whats_on_freeview/channels#) box connected to my TV are more than enough. It's also rare that I use the traditional analogue signal either - a combination of poor reception on some of the free-to-air stations and a TV that sometimes needs a firm tap on the back to use the antenna is a nuisance.

fancypiper
December 31st, 2009, 08:14 PM
I watch TV by downloading the programs and watching them whenever I want. Currently, I mostly use Miro (http://www.getmiro.com/) for downloading and watching.

ashmew2
December 31st, 2009, 08:15 PM
From Cable TV to Satellite TV to no cable/no satellite to TV TUNER CARD , and finally stopped..lol...Just watch TV for cricket matches of India here and there..

blur xc
December 31st, 2009, 08:16 PM
Other- Verizon FIOS for our phones, internet and tv. The quality is good, and reliability is top notch. Charter cable would go out frequently in high winds, and dish during heavy rain or snow. The latter doesn't happen often in the so-cal high desert, but the boxes would need rebooting often enough, and locating the satelites takes forever.

Using the computer for entertainment would be horribly impractical.

BM

Groucho Marxist
December 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM
I am curious how everyone watches TV, we we have such a diverse group in this forum. I had cable television all my life but recently made the switch over the air (free) broadcasting. I am amazed at the number of channels and quality of video. The high definition is amazing. I don't think I will ever pay for cable again!

I supplement my bunny ears with a Netflix account, Roku player, and Bluray player. :P

I use on-line content delivery methods like Hulu on a broadband connection for certain shows I miss due to work (i.e. Simpsons). This concurrently allows me to view cable programming such as the Colbert Report for "free" (sans broadband costs).

Ironically, I am a broadcaster who does not particularly enjoy television, with the exception of Jeopardy. However, in that case, I usually watch to see how smarmy Alex Trebek can get or how he pretends to fluently speak every language known to man.

kellemes
December 31st, 2009, 08:24 PM
Digital tv by air (DVB-T).

lykwydchykyn
December 31st, 2009, 08:32 PM
I get a drink, a salty snack, and a comfortable spot on the couch. I set my mouth slightly agape, put on my best vacuous expression and stare at the flickering lights on the screen until someone screams at me or hits me enough to bring me back to reality.

Isn't that how we all watch TV?

Eisenwinter
December 31st, 2009, 08:33 PM
I rarely ever watch TV. When I do, it's football (usually Spanish league), or a program hosted by Bear Grylls called Ultimate Survival (Man vs Wild in some countries).

I try to avoid watching channels which broadcast news reports, such as the Israeli channel 2, channel 1, BBC, CNN, and the likes.

Also, I don't try to keep up to date with news on the internet. I believe all news today is made with an attempt to brainwash people, and don't want any part of that.

Queue29
December 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hulu. The amount of commercials everywhere else (plus paying for service on top of that(!)) is utterly rediculous.

Cowchip7
December 31st, 2009, 08:46 PM
I rarely ever watch TV. When I do, it's football (usually Spanish league)

You mean soccer? :lolflag: :lolflag:

craigeo
December 31st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Currently Satellite.
Put an antenna up and hooked a computer up to the tv.
Been trying to use Hulu and over the air.
Only get 4 channels over the air though.
And my kids are fighting it :)
Haven't been able to make the switch completely yet but am hoping to and save $80 per month.

kellemes
December 31st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hulu. The amount of commercials everywhere else (plus paying for service on top of that(!)) is utterly rediculous.

Don't know how it is at your end of the world but here a movie often gets broken into 10 or 12 peaces or something. Ridiculous indeed.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 31st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Comcast digital cable, but I rarely watch it at all. My parents are paying for it. When I move out of the house I don't think I'm even going to buy a TV. If I want to play my PS2 or Dreamcast games I'll just buy an adaptor and hook the systems up to my LCD monitor.

Defiant Rat
December 31st, 2009, 09:03 PM
I use TVCatchup.com (http://www.tvcatchup.com/) since i cant get a freeview signal in my room. :popcorn:

metalf8801
December 31st, 2009, 09:09 PM
I mostly watch Hulu but sometime I watch Netflix on my PS3 I really hope that there support for Netflix Watch Instantly on Ubuntu soon it should work now that moonlight 2.0 is out now but there must be a problem with DRM

kevinatkins
December 31st, 2009, 09:18 PM
I believe all news today is made with an attempt to brainwash people, and don't want any part of that.

+1

I think you've got a point there ;)

I still watch a bit of telly... more often it's on the web these days, rather than using a traditional TV set

hreikin
December 31st, 2009, 09:19 PM
i usually use things like iplayer/4OD to watch TV but thats probably because i never catch anything when its on the TV :P unless its the football ofcourse ;)

ive only ever had the analogue channels 1-5 and then freeview so have never really been into TV, which is probably why i like playing with linux/pc's/consoles

hessiess
December 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM
For the most part, I don't.

HappinessNow
December 31st, 2009, 09:36 PM
I don't watch TV.

khelben1979
December 31st, 2009, 09:45 PM
I don't watch TV.

Same here.

scouser73
January 1st, 2010, 01:24 AM
I watch TV on the internet.

SuperSonic4
January 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM
I rarely ever watch TV. When I do, it's football (usually Spanish league), or a program hosted by Bear Grylls called Ultimate Survival (Man vs Wild in some countries).

I try to avoid watching channels which broadcast news reports, such as the Israeli channel 2, channel 1, BBC, CNN, and the likes.

Also, I don't try to keep up to date with news on the internet. I believe all news today is made with an attempt to brainwash people, and don't want any part of that.

There are only 5 ways for the average person to get accurate news -- sight, sound, touch, taste and smell. Anything else has the potential for inaccuracy.

Also Ray Mears >> Bear Grylls :p

Oops forgot - I mainly watch tv via freeview

lovinglinux
January 1st, 2010, 02:01 AM
I watch on my computer exclusively. I have Satellite DTH hooked to a PCTV card, but most of the time I watch streaming and downloaded programs. I also develop my own media center application (http://fmc.isgreat.org), which is a Firefox extension.

jomiolto
January 1st, 2010, 02:30 AM
Other. I don't watch TV. Internet is much better waste of time ;)

Ms_Angel_D
January 1st, 2010, 04:28 AM
Hulu or Netflix for me and My family. Cable cost's too much for too little actual programming.

Eisenwinter
January 1st, 2010, 09:17 AM
You mean soccer? :lolflag: :lolflag:
American handball is not real football. They touch the ball with their hands all the time, therefore I call it American Handball.

Football is the game where only the goalkeeper is allowed to touch the ball with hands. and even then, only close to his goal.

Khakilang
January 1st, 2010, 09:24 AM
I only watch the new and some rerun of old movie I miss. DVD movie and internet for me most of the time.

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 1st, 2010, 12:42 PM
I use Dish Network. The DVR is great. There isn't much on TV these days though. Can't wait for new episodes of Burn Notice.

lovinglinux
January 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
I use Dish Network. The DVR is great. There isn't much on TV these days though. Can't wait for new episodes of Burn Notice.

I can't wait for the last season of LOST and the new Caprica series.

handy
January 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
Lived in this house for 20 years & never watched TV in it.

We despise TV, it is one of the most unhealthy things for the mind of humanity.

TV trains the brain to function with a short attention span. It feeds the mind rubbish & trains it to accept this rubbish; promotes constant propaganda;- political & consumer spin abounds.

TV desensitises people to the inequitable policies of their governments, spreads fear in an effort to help govern people, entertains & diverts people so that they are mostly just a mere shadow of what they could be.

Zoot7
January 1st, 2010, 02:38 PM
I generally download all my TV series and watch them in my own time. I see no point in paying a subscription fee for a satellite or cable service when a good chunk of it is advertisements.

lovinglinux
January 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
Lived in this house for 20 years & never watched TV in it.

We despise TV, it is one of the most unhealthy things for the mind of humanity.

TV trains the brain to function with a short attention span. It feeds the mind rubbish & trains it to accept this rubbish; promotes constant propaganda;- political & consumer spin abounds.

TV desensitises people to the inequitable policies of their governments, spreads fear in an effort to help govern people, entertains & diverts people so that they are mostly just a mere shadow of what they could be.

The amount of commercials and the bs propaganda are really creepy. I really can't watch a single commercial anymore or even TV news with all their biased bs information, but movies and series are really entertaining. Not to mention HBO documentaries. Discovery and NatGeo were good, but nowadays they just broadcast sensationalist rubbish for the dumbed down masses.

madnessjack
January 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM
Terrestrial DVB, I'd like to watch on-demand stuff via the Internet more but the ISP won't have it

lovinglinux
January 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Terrestrial DVB, I'd like to watch on-demand stuff via the Internet more but the ISP won't have it

If I could, I would only watch on-demand via web, but unfortunately, the networks don't realize yet that there is a huge market for on-demand TV, specially outside the US where TV shows schedules are way behind.

I would be glad to pay the money I spend on satellite TV on a decent on-demand service. Perhaps when Hulu implements their premium service we will be able to access the videos.

LeifAndersen
January 1st, 2010, 05:08 PM
I watch TV online. Either that, or I just listen to the radio on my DAP.

t4nc
January 1st, 2010, 05:10 PM
I don't, I watch DVDs instead.

pwnst*r
January 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
Verizon FIOS +50" Plasma + big speakers = woot

handy
January 1st, 2010, 11:56 PM
If I could, I would only watch on-demand via web, but unfortunately, the networks don't realize yet that there is a huge market for on-demand TV, specially outside the US where TV shows schedules are way behind.

I would be glad to pay the money I spend on satellite TV on a decent on-demand service. Perhaps when Hulu implements their premium service we will be able to access the videos.

I expect that you will start to see what you desire becoming a reality this year in parts of the world & it will just continue to grow.

Unfortunately with it, comes the increased corporate control of the internet with many things that will impinge on the freedom that we now experience.

The battle has been going on at a government level in multiple countries for a while - the U.S., GB, Oz, parts of the E.U.

There will eventually be deep packet inspection on all internet traffic, what is not desired by the mega-media-corps will be slowed to a crawl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8272003.stm

As far as the internet is concerned, these are the good old days, imho.

Boy I hope I'm wrong.

Cam42
January 2nd, 2010, 12:53 AM
internet

Zoot7
January 2nd, 2010, 01:48 AM
I expect that you will start to see what you desire becoming a reality this year in parts of the world & it will just continue to grow.

Unfortunately with it, comes the increased corporate control of the internet with many things that will impinge on the freedom that we now experience.

The battle has been going on at a government level in multiple countries for a while - the U.S., GB, Oz, parts of the E.U.

There will eventually be deep packet inspection on all internet traffic, what is not desired by the mega-media-corps will be slowed to a crawl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8272003.stm

As far as the internet is concerned, these are the good old days, imho.

Boy I hope I'm wrong.

I do too.
IMO it's absolutely dispicable that you have bodies willing to walk on anybody in the name of profit dictating what is pretty much an essential service in todays' world.
This is sadly approaching with the Entertainment industry all because they won't lower prices and put their content online, but instead want to jump up and down kicking and screaming and force others, and ultimately the public to pay for their own incompetency.
What's even more concerning is that it's probabaly only going to be a matter of time before more corporate industries want their piece of the pie. :(

tghe-retford
January 2nd, 2010, 02:44 AM
Two TV's whose software uses not just the Linux kernel but a number of programs including busybox, glibc, ffmpeg and SDL, a Freeview set-top-box whose whole operating system uses Linux kernel 2.2 and a PC with a DVB-T card which uses Linux. All of them get their signal from an aerial using DVB-T (Freeview). No satellite where I live, big trees surround the flat I live in and block any signal. Cable isn't an option here and the only IPTV service which offers a service here is from the same ISP I left years ago because of their shocking service.

(as an aside, my Internet radio also uses the Linux kernel with programs installed and I reguarly have to edit the config file using vi after a firmware upgrade)

phawnex
January 2nd, 2010, 02:50 AM
unfortunately cable.

once i get settled in linux then i will find out how to do it on computer.

starcraft.man
January 2nd, 2010, 02:52 AM
The best way. I don't.

Apart from a handful of series I own on DVD.