PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mounting 2TB hard drive via usb, suddenly read only??

boandmichele
December 31st, 2009, 06:30 PM
i bought a new 2 terabyte hdd for storage reasons, my current 750gb and 320gb drives are full up. it is an internal drive, which i have hooked up currently by a usb dock.

upon first getting it, i went into gparted and formatted it as ext4 (this is being done in 9.04 running ext3 btw)

i then proceeded to transfer 960gb to the drive over the next several hours. this went smoothly (and slowly), but now i am having trouble with the last 300 gb. it acts as if it is transferring just fine, but when i come back in an hour or two, it's thrown an error saying the file system is read-only, due to permissions problem. it also appears to have come un-mounted.

any ideas? i feel like a simple fstab entry would fix it but i have no idea what that would be. its currently mounted as /dev/sdd1, but i am afraid to try and move any files to it now :/

deadalus.globalnode
December 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Have you tried copying it as root? Also where did you order this hd from?

CharlesA
December 31st, 2009, 06:36 PM
Try mounting it with:

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/device /mountpoint/goes/here -o rw

boandmichele
December 31st, 2009, 06:41 PM
Try mounting it with:

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/device /mountpoint/goes/here -o rw

that seems to have worked using

sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sdd1 /media/2tb -o rw

im copying files now but i won't know for a few minutes if it is successful.

deadalus, i ordered it from frys, and yes i tried copying as root and it still gives the same error, which is why this is so frustrating.

CharlesA
December 31st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Looks good. Hope it works for you. :)

boandmichele
December 31st, 2009, 08:02 PM
okay well it did it again. i transferred a folder of about 70gb just fine. but the next folder of 131gb stopped a third or so of the way through, and said 'cannot copy to 2tb, drive is read-only,' or something like that. :(