PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] apache virtual hosts on new ext4 partition

hinge
December 31st, 2009, 04:31 PM
I run a development lamp on my laptop. I have been doing this for looong a time - no hassel.
I run each project (cakephp) as a different virtual host on apache. e.g. one project is defined like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /home/martin/development/dosmer/trunk/app/webroot
ServerName dosmer
<Directory /home/martin/development/dosmer/trunk/app/webroot/>
AllowOverride All
Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

This has been working!!!!
Until....

My home is mounted as a separate partition, and this partition was giving me some problems. So I decided to delete it and format it as a ext4 system. The former was ext3. After doing this I get this in my apache log:

[crit] [client 127.0.1.1] (13)Permission denied: /home/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

And a 403 in my browser...

Each time I try to access one of the virtual hosts. Permissions should be OK - set to 777.

I have tried to make a virtual host that resides on my root partition ("/"), which is ext3 - this works fine.

My fstab is:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=12525790-5876-4034-af19-2c62240413a9 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=ec06167e-8f05-439d-8f05-b65c012e4d12 none swap sw 0 0

UUID=82755c2e-a5c4-46d0-a828-9738b1f547cd /media/store ext4 defaults 0 2
#/dev/sda3 /media/store ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

/media/store/home /home none defaults,bind 0 0

What could be causing this - I suspect that it is the way my partition is mounted...but I don't know what to do about it.

phillw
December 31st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hi,

what do you get if you
ls -al /home/.htaccess

Regards,

Phill.

hinge
January 1st, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hi,

what do you get if you
ls -al /home/.htaccess

Regards,

Phill.

I get:

ls -al /home/.htaccess
ls: cannot access /home/.htaccess: No such file or directory

I know that the apache error.log says /home/.htaccess - I take it that when apache says home it means the virtual home folder - i.e. the looong path /home/martin/.....
Even so I don't have any .htaccess files in the test site - it should not be necessary -IMHO.

hinge
January 1st, 2010, 02:25 PM
I get:

ls -al /home/.htaccess
ls: cannot access /home/.htaccess: No such file or directory

I know that the apache error.log says /home/.htaccess - I take it that when apache says home it means the virtual home folder - i.e. the looong path /home/martin/.....
Even so I don't have any .htaccess files in the test site - it should not be necessary -IMHO.

Maybe what I wrote above is not true....

I tried to set up at virtual host in my root partition which had wrong permissions. The error in my apache error.log is:

[crit] [client 127.0.1.1] (13)Permission denied: /var/www/dosmer/trunk/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure...

Whereas when I move the same virtual host til the new partition I get:

[crit] [client 127.0.1.1] (13)Permission denied: /home/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

The virtual host file for the first is:

DocumentRoot /var/www/dosmer/trunk/app/webroot
ServerName gotest
<Directory /var/www/dosmer/trunk/app/webroot/>
AllowOverride All
Options FollowSymLinks
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

and the latter:

DocumentRoot /home/martin/development/dosmer/trunk/app/webroot
ServerName dosmer
<Directory /home/martin/development/dosmer/trunk/app/webroot/>
AllowOverride All
Options FollowSymLinks
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Why would it report the paths differently in the error log - when it says /home/ - does it atually mean /home/???? and why that????

kerdany
January 3rd, 2010, 04:18 AM
I'm also facing the same problem on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) installed on my Acer Aspire One netbook. The problem goes as follows:

I have an apache2 installed on my netbook, I want to create a virtualhost on that points to a directory on a mounted drive (mounted via an entry in /etc/fstab)

The problem is that the virtualhost always returns a 403 Forbidden error.
I did some research online, but I couldn't find a clue .. All keys lead to allowing permission on files in the virtualhost directory files ..

I tried to chmod -R 775 and even 777 the directory of the virtualhost on the mounted drive (and even its parent), but the problem persists.

Information:
The drive is an ext4 partition mounted on /var/work
fstab line:

# /var/work was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=3b0298b6-7002-4c62-9335-69d09b376ef4 /var/work ext4 defaults 0 2

Virtual Host configuration (actually it's a copy of the default virtual host, and it works fine if it points to a non-mounted directory instead) .. This is a name-based virtual host:

ServerName blog
DocumentRoot /var/work/wife/blog/public_html
<Directory /var/work/wife/blog/public_html/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

/etc/hosts entry:

127.0.0.1 blog

Apache log error:

[Sun Dec 27 17:15:09 2009] [crit] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: /var/work/wife/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

Note: notice that the server is looking for .htaccess two directories above the vhost directory?? not even one directory above it.
Also note that the error message is somehow misleading .. check this reported bug:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-bugs/200507.mbox/%3C20050707174643.4D01713@ajax.apache.org%3E

hinge
January 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
I solved my troubles lasyt night - I'm sorry to say - but apparently it was a simple matter of permissions.

sudo chmod -R 755 /home/martin/
sudo chown -R martin.users /home/martin/

After that it all works.

and kerdany, I can confirm you setup, it should work - try out the permissions