PDA

View Full Version : Favorite program for finding duplicate files?

Gizenshya
December 31st, 2009, 06:38 AM
I have tons of duplicate files over several drives, and I want to consolidate and do a backup. (And yes, then start using a regular system of file organization so it doesn't happen again.)

Any recommendations on programs?

The files are mostly PDF's, doc(x), ppt, jpg, mov, mp3, mp4, and wav. So documents, images, and videos. and there are TB's of them to go through :(

I've used a program in Win before that did well, and shows previews of files (thumbnails). But it is only for pictures. It works pretty well, but is lacking in features. It found dupes, but I still had to go there and copy/delete them. Anyway, it wouldn't work for my purposes.

I would like something that had options where I could choose file extensions to exclude, file size ranges, and/ot other options. Due to the number of drives and OS's, I'll have tons of 'duplicate' OS files and the like.

I found FSlint (http://www.pixelbeat.org/fslint/), but I want to hear suggestins before I get started. It's gonna take a while. A long while.

Do any combine finding duplicates with synching folders? (or, if not synching, comparing folders to show any content discrepencies?)

Any suggestions for programs, proper proceedure, or anything else are welcome! :)

cammin
December 31st, 2009, 07:28 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fdupes

Haven't used it, and I'm only posting the wikipedia link because it has a list of links to similar programs in it.

beercz
December 31st, 2009, 01:17 PM
fdupes is damned handy!

man fdupes

Gizenshya
January 1st, 2010, 03:51 AM
does that program have gui?

I started up FSlint earlier and it seems to be working. But by that I mean doing something. I accesses different drives at different times (activity indicators) and I can see it checking md5 checksums. But It's bene at it for about 4 hours now (working on about 2TB if data). But, there is no GUI output so far (well, no changes). It just has a red stop button, implying that it hasn't finished. It isn't frozen.

Is that normal? Should I stop it? I'm a little worried that it is actually doing something productive and I might have to start it over again.

any ideas?