PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How to reinstall gnome-core?

Putnam11
December 31st, 2009, 06:11 AM
So a few days ago I tried to resize my partitions to give windoes more space using gparted, but I thought it failed... Yesterday it couldn't mount the filesystem so I ran ubuntu in maintenence mode and ran fsck. I can use ubuntu 9.10 now, but can't access any directories, such as computer, home, pictures, network, etc. Every other program runs fine. I tried typing nautilus into terminal and wow! Segfault! So I want to uninstall and reinstall gnome-core. I tried to remove via Ubuntu Software Center, but it says 'Waiting for other software managers to quit.' Nothing else is running afaik.
here's the nautilus error

bridger@laptop:~$ nautilus

(nautilus:2331): Eel-CRITICAL **: eel_preferences_get_boolean: assertion `preferences_is_initialized ()' failed

** (nautilus:2331): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'UploadFinished'

** (nautilus:2331): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'DownloadFinished'

** (nautilus:2331): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'ShareCreateError'
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
Segmentation fault
bridger@laptop:~$

so yea, halp!

Jekshadow
December 31st, 2009, 07:44 AM
Why remove gnome-core, instead of nautilus itself?

This is just the generic reinstall command I use, so be warned that removing nautilus may remove your entire GUI, leaving you with a command line only system. To reinstall the desktop, just type 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop' into the command line.

Short version:

sudo su -c 'apt-get remove nautilus -y && apt-get install nautilus -y'

Long version:

sudo apt-get remove nautilus
sudo apt-get install nautilus

Jekshadow
January 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Now I'm getting the same exact error, down to the character.

Here is what is left in my dmesg:

[ 539.551623] nautilus[3097]: segfault at 7f40d416dff8 ip 00007f40dbe6c6bd sp 00007f40d416dff0 error 6 in libc-2.10.1.so[7f40dbd9b000+166000]

I purged nautilus and installed it, and the same problem occured.

What happened immediately before the problem started is I had accidentally caused an infinite loop in a threaded python program, causing both of my cores to 100%, resulting in a frozen system. When I hard restarted my computer, everything worked except nautilus, which began giving me the error.

Putnam11
January 1st, 2010, 10:58 PM
well good-luck, Im ditching this laptop tomorrow, installing winblows fully then giving it to my dad, I bought a $1200 computer :DDD:P