PDA

View Full Version : GAH!!! What song is this?!!

Arktis
February 27th, 2006, 03:00 AM
This is driving me nuts... I was tinkering with my guitar and something I was doing sounded really familiar - and now I have this tune stuck in my head with NO idea about who it is or what the words are. :-k

So I made a short midi of what I think the beginning is, plus a small tab. See attatchments. Someone has to know this... I believe it is a popular song and will be recognized even if I was a little off when I made the midi and tab.

bluevoodoo1
February 27th, 2006, 03:29 AM
I played it on my guitar... and like you, it sounds familiar but I can't think of the band/title. (It sounds like it should be in 6/8 so I edited the barlines in the tab)

Sutekh
February 27th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Wish I knew what it was, I'm going to be humming it all afternoon.

MrChips
February 27th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Just happened to have my guitar handy.

*plays tab*

hmm...same here. Sounds familiar, like a 50's tune maybe?

Dunno but I like it! *plays more*;)

Jedeye
February 27th, 2006, 04:29 AM
hmm tried on guitar had no idea :) of course my guitar skills are not up to par

Arktis
February 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM
No, it's definately not a 50's tune...

Edit:I decided to do a quick recording. Too bad I couldn't get the quality to be un-crappy. Still, I think this is going to really help get this solved. See attatched file. Oh, and sorry if I am a little off. I can never play right when I am actually trying to record something. It's a curse...

bonzodog
February 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I **think** it may be the opening bars to "Don't Cry" by Guns 'n' Roses...

fuscia
February 27th, 2006, 02:03 PM
even after figuring it out on 5string openG, i still didn't recognize it. (of course, i may not have figured it out as much as i so smugly thought.)

woedend
February 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
hey artkis...no idea yet but did sound familiar...but you play really well and it sounds great...make a longer one...even if it just repeats lol i like it :) Any idea of genre/year? I went through about 600 songs on my collection and only came up with 2 near matches, but not exact.

majikstreet
February 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM
hm.. I'm downloading that Guns and Roses song to check... whatever it is, I like it :D

I downloaded a song called "don't you cry tonight" but I dunno if it's the same song lol... they didn't sound much alike.

SolidAndShade
February 27th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I think I remember that song... I lived for a few months with someone who constantly played Jack Johnson and John Mayer, and I think I recall that music as being associated with one of those guys. I've done my best to block those memories out, though, so I can't tell you anything more.

Arktis
February 28th, 2006, 01:48 AM
No, I just checked out all their music through online track previews. I'm going to give up. I'll hear this again on of these days and then I'll know. Until then, it's time to stop wasting forum bandwidth. Thanks anyways, guys.

xequence
February 28th, 2006, 01:53 AM
hm.. I'm downloading that Guns and Roses song to check... whatever it is, I like it :D

I downloaded a song called "don't you cry tonight" but I dunno if it's the same song lol... they didn't sound much alike.

Its called "Don't Cry" I think, and I dont believe it is that song...

woedend
February 28th, 2006, 02:12 AM
artkis, please tell me the time era and the genre, girl or guy(if you know). Its bugging me to no end too Ill figure it out but i need hints here.

Arktis
February 28th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Its called "Don't Cry" I think, and I dont believe it is that song...
Whoa, yeah, definately not. Anyways, I'm over it. I'll hear it again sometime.

artkis, please tell me the time era and the genre, girl or guy(if you know). Its bugging me to no end too Ill figure it out but i need hints here.It's a guy, kinda alternative music if I had to put a label on it. You know, that half-raspy-but-not-quite style of singing. I've heard it a few times down at the local pub, so I know it's on their jukebox. It's only a matter of time before someone plays it again while I'm down there. Heh.

Bandit
February 28th, 2006, 02:33 AM
My guitar skills rate as horrible, but it looks like the first part of "Stairway to Heaven, LedZepilin"

Arktis
February 28th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Hahaha, no way. ;)

Bandit
February 28th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Hahaha, no way. ;)
I said they were horrible :D

Arktis
February 28th, 2006, 02:41 AM
touché :p

Arktis
February 28th, 2006, 03:17 AM
A friend of mine says that this is in fact a Jack Johnson song and he's like 100% sure. He is currently looking up which one. So, points go to SolidAndShade for figuring this one out. Nice!

Anyways, I was appraently a little off, but it does basicly sound like that song. Here (http://fsphost.com/ubuntu/try%202.ogg)'s a longer version as requested (higher quality). Again, sorry for being off... heheh, I just can't play right when recording stuff.