PDA

View Full Version : Please Read Community Collaboration

Shpongle
December 31st, 2009, 04:22 AM
How about monthly competition threads for things like artwork , icons, wallpapers, scripts , system sounds , mockups , themes etc . basically I know we have *-look for themes and all but we could have a poll in each topic type per month , and the best ones would be chosen by us. we could package these chosen themes , icons etc as a community package also our way of giving back and it could be released at every new distro release.

It would help set a standard and create competition and innovation. if it kicks off it could go places!. I mean many of us are aware of the talented individuals in this community , now if we could work together we could make some really nice work . It can apply to any particular category or DE , we could have separate polls for different DE's. Its not proposing an alternative to gnome look and the rest , rather promoting the community spirit and building on that. We could also have programs too , I can code a good bit but im no use with artwork.

for example say we had an idea to work on a program , we could use a thread for that program , post the source make changes and repost with changes made highlighted, if there is a well defined outline and a standard set the system should work, also if there is mistakes there will be other users looking at it , and can change or implement more efficient code.

if it catches on well not only be a forum for help and chat with little areas of art and programming but an all round embodiment of what linux stands for as a whole. As for people who cant code or do art etc , they can learn from examples / give feedback on themes etc , make requests , brainstorm etc . theres no reason why we cant involve everyone who wants to be apart. We would all learn something in the process.

I would like to hear feed back on this from all types of users particularly those who would contribute to the effort. also I would like if there is a strong feedback to do this that the Mods would make these particular threads available in a community development / project or whatever place they see fit.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for your time.

Dill

Exodist
December 31st, 2009, 04:28 AM
How about monthly competition threads for things like artwork , icons, wallpapers, scripts , system sounds , mockups , themes etc .

I would like to see things like this. Maybe a little recognition to monthly winners and semi annually (every 6months) winner(s, possibly top 3 best submitions) get like a t-shirt or hat.

Shpongle
December 31st, 2009, 04:38 AM
I would like to see things like this. Maybe a little recognition to monthly winners and semi annually (every 6months) winner(s, possibly top 3 best submitions) get like a t-shirt or hat.

yea we could do something like that , but i suppose we would have to donate the money to that , no big deal if its split between lots of users. Also the package would have a list of contributers too , so the people would get recognition and could still have their own licences etc , but if a good theme maker hooked up with a good icon maker for example and someone to do some wallpapers we could release system wide themes that go really well and are pleasing to the majority of the users , we could have like a month for mockup submissions and then a vote on them and then like a month to do the work and voting would happen at the mockup stage and after the last submission. just some more ideas . but id really like to see this community become involved in some way !

Exodist
December 31st, 2009, 04:42 AM
For something of this magnitude to take off, it would require the consent and support of Canonical and the Ubuntu Development Team.

Shpongle
December 31st, 2009, 04:42 AM
i personally would be happy to help code on a project for free, i honestly dont mind. Im using other peoples themes etc so i have no problem with people using a program i make or contribute towards! , its all good ;-)

Shpongle
December 31st, 2009, 04:53 AM
For something of this magnitude to take off, it would require the consent and support of Canonical and the Ubuntu Development Team.
well thats why im trying to see if there is an interest , we could do it ourselves if the interest is there. We would have to start small and have lots of discussions regarding the best ways to go about it. but ultimately if it got a lot of recognition we could hopefully see it being officially included in the repos or have elements included in a distro release!. if it got half as much interest as the screenshot thread we would be off to a good start.Im sure its happening here and there , but if we work together we create a "development cycle", eg brainstrom -> mockups -> feedback -> initial work -> feedback + testing -> second release -> feedback + testing . . . . done! . Also all the ubuntu sites will cover it if it becomes a big project / series of projects and if other distro forums start then its more competition / innovation . Its just a cool thing to do in my opinion

noway2
December 31st, 2009, 03:41 PM
The Free Software Foundation has something like this, but that isn't to say that we couldn't have something like that here too, perhaps more directly oriented towards Ubuntu and its variants.

One key thing would be to make the project of a sufficient scope to attract a wide variety of talents. Some people would be good at creating artwork (icons, etc), while others would be good a programming, or debugging, writing documentation, etc. At the same time, the project would need to be simple enough, at least at first, to be feasible.

Any thoughts as to what needs currently exist?

Shpongle
December 31st, 2009, 06:09 PM
The Free Software Foundation has something like this, but that isn't to say that we couldn't have something like that here too, perhaps more directly oriented towards Ubuntu and its variants.

One key thing would be to make the project of a sufficient scope to attract a wide variety of talents. Some people would be good at creating artwork (icons, etc), while others would be good a programming, or debugging, writing documentation, etc. At the same time, the project would need to be simple enough, at least at first, to be feasible.

Any thoughts as to what needs currently exist?

there is no reason why we cant do it if people are up for it, to start all we need is threads in each topic , say we have a month for people to submit wallpapers , we could choose a theme topic or they could choose they're own. And after a month the votes would be in and the best one or two etc would be added to the package, we do the same for icons etc. the programs would work differently , as in they would have to be useful , but if we can get themes and artwork that would be great. If a mod could set up a section where this could collectively happen , It all the threads in the community project section it would be good. It doesn't need to be massive at first , but if it gets going It'll be good.

m0o
December 31st, 2009, 06:11 PM
Didn't the forums use to have a gallery before? I remember seeing some great screenshots and artwork on it.

aeon.flux
January 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I really like the idea to let people to "create" next edition of ubuntu. To be honest, I was just looking for this. I'm a kind of artist :) I'm studying a car design actually, but I was studying a graphic design for last 7 years. I heard about open source for the firts time this summer and I'm using ubuntu from this august and I love it! :D and I wana be a part of it! I've already tried to create some wallpapers for lucid lynx and it would appreciate if one day my wallpapers would be used...