PDA

View Full Version : smart way of reading file in Python ?

krypto_wizard
February 27th, 2006, 02:28 AM
I have the folowing input file. The first number is the value of the variable on the right hand side after the "#" sign.

1024 #max_number_of_nodes
1024 #total_stream_packets
256 #packet_size
4 #play_time_of_one_packet
5 #max_concurrent_upoads
5 #max_concurrent_downloads
3072 #max_upload_speed_of_server
256 #dedicated_speed_per_connection
8 #max_nodes_in_alliance
4 #max_number_of_alliance
30 #temporal_time

I wrote a functions as follows, and I thought it was really raw (I am newbie to python so bear with me). Could you suggest me some smart way of reading file with lot of variables. Thanks.

def read_input_file(filename):
f = open(filename, "r")
while True:
line = f.readline()
if (not line): break
var = line.split()
max_number_of_nodes = int(var[0])
line = f.readline()
var = line.split()
total_stream_packets = int(var[0])
ine = f.readline()
var = line.split()
packet_size = int(var[0])
line = f.readline()
var = line.split()
play_time_of_one_packet = int(var[0])
line = f.readline()
var = line.split()
max_concurrent_upoads = int(var[0])
line = f.readline()
var = line.split()
max_concurrent_downloads= int(var[0])
line = f.readline()
var = line.split()
max_upload_speed_of_server= int(var[0])
line = f.readline()
var = line.split()
dedicated_speed_per_connection= int(var[0])
line = f.readline()
var = line.split()
max_nodes_in_alliance= int(var[0])
line = f.readline()
var = line.split()
max_number_of_alliance= int(var[0])
line = f.readline()
var = line.split()
temporal_time= int(var[0])

psychicdragon
February 27th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Here's a slightly simpler solution:

import re

FILE = "bo.txt"
f = open(FILE, 'r')
string = f.read()
f.close()

string = string.rstrip('\n')
lines = re.split('\n', string)

var = {}
for line in lines:
(value, key) = re.split('\t+?\#', line)
var[key] = value

print var

There are probably even better ways to do this though.

Ozitraveller
February 27th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Or you could do the read on a set size, say read 1000 chars at a time, and adds the string to some type of data structure (stack) or even an array. And on another thread have a small process to monitor the stack, and if there is something there, do the the splitting. It might even be worth giving the statck a bit of a head start, by say don't start processing anything on the stack until there are 5, 10, 20 items waiting there, just so the file reading doesn't catch up with the splitting. Anyway just an idea. :-)

Tip: if you want to process really large files the buffered approach is a more efficient way.

LordHunter317
February 27th, 2006, 06:57 AM
The best idea, unless the file is much to large to hold into memory is to read the file line by line, then parse it into records and values. As for how to do that in Python, beats me.

Virak
February 27th, 2006, 07:14 AM
def read_input_file(filename):
file = open(filename, "r")
vars = {}

for line in file:
value, name = line.split()
if name[0] == "#":
vars[name[1:]] = value

file.close()

return vars
^ That's how I'd do it.

krypto_wizard
February 27th, 2006, 07:16 AM
thanks for all the responses

krypto_wizard
February 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I like your approach. A quick question since all the variables and their values are in as a dictionary, how to get them as an actual variable.

For ex when I say

print max_upload_speed

It gives me error.

How to fix this.

Here's a slightly simpler solution:

import re

FILE = "bo.txt"
f = open(FILE, 'r')
string = f.read()
f.close()

string = string.rstrip('\n')
lines = re.split('\n', string)

var = {}
for line in lines:
(value, key) = re.split('\t+?\#', line)
var[key] = value

print var

There are probably even better ways to do this though.

thumper
February 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
how about this one liner?

dict([(x[1][1:], int(x[0])) for x in [x.split() for x in open('input.txt')]])

:)

krypto_wizard
February 27th, 2006, 05:52 PM
awesome!!!

How to get the variable names which are dictionary keys to be as variable names of the python program ?

how about this one liner?

dict([(x[1][1:], int(x[0])) for x in [x.split() for x in open('input.txt')]])

:)

Van_Gogh
February 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I like Virak's solution the best, it's the most readable and the way I'd do it too. It'll run into difficulties if there's ever an empty line though, but that's nothing a try/except clause won't fix.

Thumper's solution is very cool though, but too dense for my taste: I have to struggle to completely understand it all.

How to get the variable names which are dictionary keys to be as variable names of the python program ?

That'd be a bad idea even if it's possible. You'd not know what your variable names would be, so how could you ever know what to do with them after you get them in your program? I'd suggest using dictionaries and just reading its values when you need them. It's easier too.

krypto_wizard
February 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I am still looking solution for

" How to get the variable names which are dictionary keys to be as variable names of the python program ?"

Could somebody explain it

I like Virak's solution the best, it's the most readable and the way I'd do it too. It'll run into difficulties if there's ever an empty line though, but that's nothing a try/except clause won't fix.

Thumper's solution is very cool though, but too dense for my taste: I have to struggle to completely understand it all.

That'd be a bad idea even if it's possible. You'd not know what your variable names would be, so how could you ever know what to do with them after you get them in your program? I'd suggest using dictionaries and just reading its values when you need them. It's easier too.

thumper
February 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM
How about this... Values is a class that initialises member variables defined by the named parameters of the constructor. Using the ** operator we can expand a dictionary into named parameters.

class Values(object):
def __init__(self, **kwds):
self.__dict__.update(kwds)

The __dict__ member is a dictionary that contains the member variables for the object.

If you don't like complex list comprehension then do it in two steps. It is more readable that way. I was just being a smart ****.

>>> fileinfo = [x.split() for x in open(filename)]
>>> fileinfo
[['1024', '#max_number_of_nodes'], ['1024', '#total_stream_packets'], ['256', '#packet_size'], ['4', '#play_time_of_one_packet'], ['5', '#max_concurrent_upoads'], ['5', '#max_concurrent_downloads'], ['3072', '#max_upload_speed_of_server'], ['256', '#dedicated_speed_per_connection'], ['8', '#max_nodes_in_alliance'], ['4', '#max_number_of_alliance'], ['30', '#temporal_time']]
>>> mapinfo = dict([(x[1][1:], int(x[0])) for x in fileinfo])
>>> info = Values(**mapinfo)
>>> print info.dedicated_speed_per_connection
>>> print info.max_concurrent_downloads

The first list comprehension statement reads each line from the input file and creates a list of the split lines. split by default splits on whitespace which is what we want in this case.

The second statement builds a dictionary from a list of key value pairs. x[1][1:] says to take the second item of x (which is our text "#variable_name") and slice that from the first item, which removes the #. The second part of the tuple is the integer representation of the first part of the split line.