PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu boots to CLI

jordanae
December 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I just got a new computer and decided to install Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit. My computer came with Windows 7 and so I dual booted saving Windows for gaming. In case it helps I installed them side by side so I could just choose them from the GRUB menu. But the problem I'm having is that when I boot up Ubuntu it goes straight into terminal. No GUI at all. I'm sure I downloaded the desktop version and I know that my computer can handle 64-bit.

I also ran apt-get install ubuntu-desktop to see if I had gnome and everything installed and it says that it is.

staf0048
December 30th, 2009, 11:25 PM
This might be worth a shot, try starting the gui w/

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Let us know if that does anything...

jordanae
December 30th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I couldn't type anything when I booted it up. The screen was flashing and not every key would work. I think it's just a faulty cd so I'll just install it from a new one. Can I uninstall Ubuntu and keep Windows 7 even though I did a side by side install?

wilee-nilee
December 31st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Of you have installed side by side removing Linux will leave you needing to update the MBR with the W7 install disc in order to access W7. You might just see if you can load Ubuntu onto a thumb or burn a new CD if you want both OS in the end.