PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation error

dukehunter1
December 30th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I have tried to install both 9.04 and 9.10 on a dell inspiron e1505 and I can get through all the installation to when it actually starts the process. Between 45 and 50% on both releases it says there was an error copying files. I ran a disk check on both live CDs and the result is there is one bad file. The two disks were burned on two separate computers so it wasn't a burning problem. A week before I installed 9.04 with the same disk and it worked perfectly. Is this a disk drive problem on the dell? I was able to install DSL on the computer without problems. I have no idea what the deal is.

dukehunter1
December 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM
The error that comes up during the installation phase says "[error 5] input/output error" then it explains that it's usually caused by a faulty disk or disk drive.

ajgreeny
December 31st, 2009, 12:04 AM
Check the iso md5sum before burning again at low speed (max x4) and try again. It is obviously the bad file that is the problem, and you were perhaps just lucky that the one system did install OK with the current disk. It is probably not worth continuing with that however, so I suggest a check and download again, if needed using a bit-torrent client this time, as that will check that the iso is good as it is downloaded.

dukehunter1
December 31st, 2009, 05:59 AM
I did a disk check on both disks on another computer and they turned out fine so it appears it has nothing to do with a disk. Both disk were downloaded with a bittorrent client and burned at the slowest possible speeds.

ajgreeny
December 31st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Sounds like a hardware problem, in that case. Clean the drive or laser heads, perhaps, otherwise, I have no idea where to point you.

MelDJ
December 31st, 2009, 02:54 PM
maybe try making a live usb pendrive?