PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing Ubuntu & other Os

elaine81
December 30th, 2009, 08:04 PM
hi all ,

need help , the scenario is like this , i was helping my sis troubleshoot her compaq presario laptop , Original os Vistahttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=42885438#) , my sis format with Win 7 disc , everything was working fine for 1 or 2 mths , then suddenly , yesterday when she try to login window 7 , after the login screen , it stuck at a black screen with just a cursor. Today i try to format with Ubuntu , but installation only finish half way , then it say something about old hdd or watsoever , then auto boot to live cd , when i try to boot from my memory card which i hv created as a bootable usb drive for win 7 , but system will just prompt me "Remove disk & Other media , Press any key to restart" . My sister lost the win 7 disc , her vista was built in wan , last time change hdd , so lost , then my lappy also no dvd writer , therefore cannot burn win7 image to dvd , Anyone can help me think of other solution ?

dstew
December 30th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Boot the Ubuntu Live CD, open a terminal window, enter the command
sudo fdisk -lThat will show what partitions are left on the hard drive. Maybe you can still boot into Windows using grub, if it is still intact.

elaine81
December 31st, 2009, 05:55 PM
Boot the Ubuntu Live CD, open a terminal window, enter the command
sudo fdisk -lThat will show what partitions are left on the hard drive. Maybe you can still boot into Windows using grub, if it is still intact.

Thanks for ur help , but i am newbie in ubuntu , dun realli get you . Do you or anyone here know how to create a bootable usb stick in ubuntu , pls help ... thanks

dstew
December 31st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Do you have an Ubuntu CD?

elaine81
December 31st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Do you have an Ubuntu CD?

yes , i do , and rite now , my os id ubuntu 9.10 , but what i need is to create a bootable usb stick for my win 7 , thanks

dstew
December 31st, 2009, 07:26 PM
What OS do you want to put on the bootable USB stick? Do you want to put an Ubuntu Live CD system on it?

elaine81
January 1st, 2010, 05:05 AM
What OS do you want to put on the bootable USB stick? Do you want to put an Ubuntu Live CD system on it?

Nope wan to put win 7

dstew
January 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM
We can't help you with that. You might find some help in a Windows forum.