PDA

View Full Version : ddwrt - is it legit?

piwacet
December 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Anyone know about this? Who makes it? What's their deal? Are they working with the Russian mafia to steal my credit card info? Safe to install?

Judging by their forums, they seem to have a large user base, which makes me think that if ddwrt was actually malware, it would have been discovered by now.

Icehuck
December 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
It's as safe to use as any other router software.

pwnst*r
December 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Anyone know about this? Who makes it? What's their deal? Are they working with the Russian mafia to steal my credit card info? Safe to install?

Judging by their forums, they seem to have a large user base, which makes me think that if ddwrt was actually malware, it would have been discovered by now.

it's perfectly safe. been using it for years. lol @ your post though.

bowens44
December 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
ddwrt is great! I have been using it for about a year or so.

FuturePilot
December 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
it's perfectly safe. been using it for years. lol @ your post though.

This

Frak
December 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
This
This.

Icehuck
December 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
This.

No, this.

starcannon
December 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM

I'm using ddwrt, so far its pretty cool. I do have to reboot my router every once in a while, but I had to before I was using ddwrt, so, /shrug no big deal. I will say the interface gets quite a bit more complex, and if one does not need, or does not want to learn about some of the features of more complex routers, then the oem firmware is probably the thing to stick with. However, if one wants "a real router", with a lot of the bells and whistles of routers costing quite a bit more money, then ddwrt is a very inexpensive way to get there.

I pay bills, shop online, etc... with mine, so far my bank statements look just as dismal as they did before I installed ddwrt.

CharlesA
December 30th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I use it on an older Linksys 54G router. Works great.

pwnst*r
December 31st, 2009, 12:19 AM
I'm using ddwrt, so far its pretty cool. I do have to reboot my router every once in a while, but I had to before I was using ddwrt, so, /shrug no big deal. I will say the interface gets quite a bit more complex, and if one does not need, or does not want to learn about some of the features of more complex routers, then the oem firmware is probably the thing to stick with. However, if one wants "a real router", with a lot of the bells and whistles of routers costing quite a bit more money, then ddwrt is a very inexpensive way to get there.

I pay bills, shop online, etc... with mine, so far my bank statements look just as dismal as they did before I installed ddwrt.

actually, if your router supports it and you want something not so complex (or you just won't use the advanced feature-set), try Tomato firmware.

Nevon
December 31st, 2009, 12:54 AM
I've been using DD-WRT on my Linksys WTR54GL for quite some time now, and so far it's worked miles better than the standard firmware. My router used to lock up, reset itself, overheat and just cause general mayhem. Now with dd-wrt and some configuration, it's working beautifully.