PDA

View Full Version : Jazz and blues bands, could you guys recommend me some?

sapo
February 27th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Hi fellows, i mainly listen to progressive metal, but i m kinda getting bored of listening the same bands every day, but i m kinda selective about music, so its hard to something really catch my attention, but..

I m listening to the Paul Gilbert solo album a lot (Acoustic Guitar Samurai), and i ve been running the cowboy bebop soundtrack in an infinite loop latelly, but i dont know whats good and whats not about jazz and blues, there are too many bands, so i need recommendations... i ll try to explain what kind of stuff i like:

What i do like:

1 - I play the guitar, so i really love instrumental music and well played music.

2 - I like those kind of blues with a lot of solos.. that kind of stuff that make you stop what you are doing to listen to some solo (not just guitar.. anything that is played with heart and not to sell discs).

3 - About jazz a like those weird kind of jazz with crazy timmings and stuff.

What i dont like:

1 - Depressing music, i m alredy too depressed myself i cant stand listening to this kind of stuff.

2 - Music that just have lyrics but the instruments are just for background i dont like it too, for me the singer is just a necessary evil :mrgreen:

Please could you guys recommend me some bands, and songs.

thanx :twisted:

xequence
February 27th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Nomatter what music you like, listen to Pink Floyd.

Get The Wall in FLAC, or another lossless format.

fuscia
February 27th, 2006, 01:20 AM
django reinhardt was one of the best jazz guitarists of all time. his hands were burnt in a fire in 1928 ('29?) so it's pretty astonishing what he was able to do.

there's a whole pile of miles davis (trumpet player) you can choose from. the guy went through even more styles of music than he went through styles of clothing.

eric johnson might be to our liking. amazing technician who favors tube amps.

blues rock bands with great guitarists are numerous: cream, allman brothers, johnny winter, ten years after...there are so many i can't even think of them.

pat metheny (jazz guitarist) might be a little too spacey for you, but worth a try.

sapo
February 27th, 2006, 01:58 AM
django reinhardt was one of the best jazz guitarists of all time. his hands were burnt in a fire in 1928 ('29?) so it's pretty astonishing what he was able to do.

there's a whole pile of miles davis (trumpet player) you can choose from. the guy went through even more styles of music than he went through styles of clothing.

eric johnson might be to our liking. amazing technician who favors tube amps.

blues rock bands with great guitarists are numerous: cream, allman brothers, johnny winter, ten years after...there are so many i can't even think of them.

pat metheny (jazz guitarist) might be a little too spacey for you, but worth a try.
Wow thanx, i ll give them a try and post later what if i like or not :)

fuscia
February 27th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Wow thanx, i ll give them a try and post later what if i like or not :)

my pleasure. do post what you think as it will be helpful in making further suggestions. it's always difficult to guess another's tastes.

rudiz
February 27th, 2006, 02:13 AM
sudo apt-get install streamtuner

http://www.jazzradio.net

junior aspirin
February 27th, 2006, 02:22 AM
try the cinematic orchestra, or chris bowden. on the ninja tune record label, moden jazzyness.

junior aspirin
February 27th, 2006, 02:22 AM
*double post*

sapo
February 27th, 2006, 02:24 AM
my pleasure. do post what you think as it will be helpful in making further suggestions. it's always difficult to guess another's tastes.
Sure :)

xmastree
February 27th, 2006, 02:41 AM
i dont know whats good and whats not about jazz and blues,
There is no 'good and not', its' all down to personal taste.

My suggestion? Jan Akkerman. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Akkerman)

sapo
February 27th, 2006, 03:13 AM
There is no 'good and not', its' all down to personal taste.

My suggestion? Jan Akkerman. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Akkerman)
It makes sense, so i dont know what i ll like or not :mrgreen:

And thanx for the suggestion :)

cstudent
February 27th, 2006, 03:33 AM
One of the greatest finds I ever came across, Happy the Man. If you like weird time signatures, then you'll probably get into them.

http://www.happytheman.com/home.htm

briancurtin
February 27th, 2006, 04:01 AM
RL Burnside (blues)

Zeroangel
February 27th, 2006, 04:20 AM
I think that you will like Joe Satriani. He is a master guitar player but doesn't simply focus on shredding like Malmsteen does, his style is more diverse and has a little more 'soul'.

These songs are good for whetting your appetite.
- Speed of Light
- Flying in a Blue Dream
- Driving at Night
- Surfing with the Alien

MrChips
February 27th, 2006, 04:32 AM
John McLaughlin/Live in Paris (album)

Weird timing
Top notch playing
And a LOT of guitar solos

Check it out!

midwinter
February 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM
I love guitar. Some suggestions..

Scott Henderson - crazy blues/jazz guitar, I recommend the albums Live! and Well to the Bone, but all his stuff is great.
Eric Johnson - mentioned already, he's good though.
Robben Ford - amazing jazz/blues player.
Rory Gallagher - more blues than jazz, quite unique though.
Miles Davis - try some of the stuff with Mike Stern (We Want Miles, The Man With The Horn), hie earlier work is great too, just different.
Jeff Beck - ......
Danny Gatton - all guitar players should listen to Danny Gatton

also;
Brett Garsed
Vital Tech Tones
The Hellecasters
Wes Montgomery
Shawn Lane
Stevie Ray Vaughan (I hope you know him already though..)

matthew
February 27th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Okay, I looked this list over a few times and they're not all blues/jazz, but I couldn't bring myself to erase anyone here. I'll annotate a little as well

Stevie Ray Vaughan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My all time favorite...I wish he was still alive.

Al DiMeola
Wes Montgomery
Straight up jazz and very good at it

Les Paul
The man is a stellar guitar player and at 92 years old still holds down a weekly gig in New York!! He also invented most of the non-distortion effects in use today as well as multi-track recording and had a hand in the invention of the electric guitar.

Eric Clapton (especially Blues Breakers, Cream, Derek and the Dominos, and Blind Faith eras, but I still really like him)
Again, a personal guitar hero. He's not as fiery or flashy as when he was younger but he's still better than most of us will ever be. He also seems like a great guy since he got clean and sober in the 1990's.

Django Reinhardt
Gypsy jazz recorded in France in the 1920's-40's

Eric Johnson
Highly skilled, great tone. Sometimes he lacks in emotive qualties to my ears, though. YMMV

Gary Moore
Jeff Beck
Roy Buchanan
Joe Satriani
Wow. That's all I can say. Check them out.

Henry Garza from Los Lonely Boys
My favorite currently-recording and touring band and guitarist. The band is made up of three Mexican heritage men from Texas who are all stellar musicians and have a chemistry that is just amazing. I saw them live in Phoenix and they had no set list. They just huddled together after each song and chose something. At one point they shocked some of the members of the opening band by inviting them onstage to help perform an impromptu performance of Stevie Wonder's Superstition. Henry Garza plays like a combination of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana, and I'm not sure what else, but he's kept me in awe since their first CD came out in 2004.

Rev Gary Davis
Blind Willie Johnson
These two are from a similar era to Django Reinhardt. They were unabashedly Christian so if that might offend you look elsewhere. However, they were STELLAR guitarists in a country/acoustic/rural blues sort of way and they have been cited as influences by all the big "British Invasion" guitarists like Clapton, Page, Beck, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and lots more. The surviving recordings aren't always of the greatest quality, but the music is awe inspiring.

fuscia
February 27th, 2006, 05:20 AM
robert randolph is an interesting player in that he plays blues pedal steel. his stuff is very...i guess 'rousing' would be as good a word as any to describe him.
i'm glad someone mentioned jeff beck. like miles davis, he's probably messed with more styles than most. great player. his version of 'amazing grace' is special.

xmastree
February 27th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Nobody's mentioned Jeff Healey. "Not bad for a blind white guy"

briancurtin
February 27th, 2006, 05:39 AM
good mention on SRV. greatness right there

matthew
February 27th, 2006, 05:56 AM
robert randolph is an interesting player in that he plays blues pedal steel. his stuff is very...i guess 'rousing' would be as good a word as any to describe him.I second the nomination. Robert Randolph is excellent. He's the only person I have ever seen/heard that can play a convincing Hendrix on the pedal steel (among many other, more notable talents).

Also, I forgot to mention Robert Cray & Buddy Guy. I'm sure I'll remember more tomorrow.

fuscia
February 27th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Buddy Guy

buddy guy's a whacko! i second the nomination.

cstudent
February 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Just thought of another relatively unknown, but exceptional find. Howard Hart. Excellent guitar player from California. Discovered him a few years ago on mp3.com, when that site was worth something.

http://www.howardhart.com/

matthew
February 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Couple more...probably more to come later.

Derek Trucks (and his wife, Susan Tedeschi, is pretty good too) from the Allman Brothers. Trucks has several solo albums as well.

Havoc
February 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM
One man.... Roy Buchanan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Buchanan)

The guy is a god at playing guitar....Well, not as much of a god as Joe Satriani, but you get the picture.Try finding Guitar on Fire: Atlantic Sessions, where he plays reeditions of popular Blues songs, plus some of his own.

;)

Havoc
February 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Oh, and, Deep Purple can be considered a little bluesy, although It's probably not what you're looking for.

KingBahamut
February 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Hmmmm, well there as captain obvious --

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Walter Trout, Christ Duarte, Traffic, Robert Cray, Mental as Anything, Soul Coughing (refered to as Rock Slacker Jazz), Elmore James, Cowboy Junkies, Johnny Winter.

but if you like the classical sound at all, or baroque styled piano Jazz, Try some of the works of Liz Story, Gershwin (captain obvious again), Will Ackerman, George Winston, John Redborne, Ray Lynch, Bill Withers.

If you like the older styled Louie Big Band sound ,

Louie Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie, Max Greger, James Last, Glen Miller.

halfvolle melk
February 27th, 2006, 04:07 PM
No guitar music, but these are great:

Dave brubeck + Paul Desmond
Monty Alexander live at Montreux

sapo
February 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Oh, and, Deep Purple can be considered a little bluesy, although It's probably not what you're looking for.
I have all the deep purple, rush and led zeppellin, but between those 3 rush is my favorite :)

I want some raw blues and jazz :)

piedamaro
February 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Oh oh no-on ementioned greg howe....so:
GREG HOWE
if you like guitar you can't miss him. It's more on the fusion side tho.
and....
FRANK GAMBALE
palyed with chick corea, invented modern sweep picking technique.
Have fun!

sapo
February 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Guys, thanx a lot.. it will take some time to listen to all suggestion, but i ll give you feedback for what i m listening to.

Stevie Ray Vaughan of course i had and i love it, eric johnson i listened to him in the G3 album, but now i m getting his discografy.

I started to listem to cream and i liked it.. i didnt know that White Room was originally theirs, i love this song, i listened a lot the Demons and Wizards version of this song.

fuscia
February 27th, 2006, 04:41 PM
if you liked cream, you should try to get a hold of the live stuff. it's clapton at his best, in my less than humble opinion.

my favorite eric johnson cd is ah via musicom (guitarists should not be allowed to name their cds). and, if that live from austin tx is the same as his appearance on austin city limits, that would be good as well.

someone else mentioned john mcglaughlin earlier. if you want to give yourself a really bad headache, try some of the mahavishnu orchestra stuff. it was always a little jumpy for me, but you may like it. billy cobham is an excellent drummer.

Zeroangel
February 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Ah! I nearly forgot! You strike me as the type of person who might like Liquid Tension Experiment. They are very instrumental, and their guitarist is the same one as in Dream Theater (John Petrucci. Also, minus one James LaBrie, thank god.). They are kind of jazzy, but not really.

Can anyone name me a guitarist who plays with an old school blues flavor? And by bluesy, I mean Crossroads style.

matthew
February 27th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Can anyone name me a guitarist who plays with an old school blues flavor? And by bluesy, I mean Crossroads style.Take a look at this...great list and I can confirm the majority of the names listed.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_bluesguitar.html

fuscia
February 27th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Take a look at this...great list and I can confirm the majority of the names listed.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_bluesguitar.html

odd list. the blues vocal list is odd, too. they have bonnie raitt at #30 and john lee hooker at #38, eric clapton in the honorable mention section with no sign of jack bruce, and keith relf? wtf? still, there's certainly a lot of names to be looked into and any list is going to get some strange looks from somebody.

matthew
February 28th, 2006, 12:40 AM
odd list. the blues vocal list is odd, too. they have bonnie raitt at #30 and john lee hooker at #38, eric clapton in the honorable mention section with no sign of jack bruce, and keith relf? wtf? still, there's certainly a lot of names to be looked into and any list is going to get some strange looks from somebody.Yeah. I just found that list today and thought it was a good starting place--lots of ideas to check out.

piedamaro
February 28th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Ah! I nearly forgot! You strike me as the type of person who might like Liquid Tension Experiment. They are very instrumental, and their guitarist is the same one as in Dream Theater (John Petrucci. Also, minus one James LaBrie, thank god.). They are kind of jazzy, but not really.

Ah nice....
I love LaBrie listen him on the Ayreon cd, superb. Without him DT would be nothing.
The man of LTE is the legendary TONY LEVIN (he plays bass and the stick), he played the whole cd just JAMMING he didn't practice the songs.
My 2 cents of course.