PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update error "could not get lock"

GkProf
December 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
When I try to install updates with Update Manager I get this error:

E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the download directory

This in 9.04.

Any remedies or suggestions much appreciated. Relative beginner (I just dabble in Ubuntu), so please don't assume too much.

MelDJ
December 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
are you running synaptic/add remove while you are running apt-get? that might be the cause
or maybe you could change your software server

GkProf
December 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Not sure. I go to System > Admin > Update Manager, then click Install Updates. That's when the error pops up.

MelDJ
December 30th, 2009, 05:05 PM
does this happen all the time? if you reboot your computer and run update manager, does this happen?

GkProf
December 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
It happened last time I booted Ubuntu, but didn't have time to mess with it then. Today when I booted and ran updates i got the same error as before I rebooted.

MelDJ
December 30th, 2009, 05:08 PM
maybe you can try
sudo pkill apt

GkProf
December 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM
OK, looks like that might have worked. Ran the command in Terminal and then Update Manager, and it's proceeding to install updates as I type this.

Have time to expalin what's going on with this situation? Am I going to need to redo this each time?

MelDJ
December 30th, 2009, 05:16 PM
i think another instance of apt-get didn't close properly. since, only one apt-get can run at a time (synaptic, add/remove, update manager are all types of apt-get) update manager wont run. hence we use pkill to terminate apt-get.

GkProf
December 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the explanation. The last 2 replies aren't showing up in my browser here, but I got the via email. Thanks for your help.