PDA

View Full Version : Emerging is fun! Go portage!

dragos240
December 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Lol. Got my base system installed, genkernel is a breeze. Got alsa working. Framebuffer working 100% Now all I need to do is install Xorg and GNOME. Apperently GNOME takes about 12 hrs to compile. It's worth it. My use tags are good, I got the hang of using rc-update. Now mplayer is installing, i hope to play all my songs in there, or maybe install moc. Either way, it's been pretty fun so far. Darn, I have way too much time on my hands.

autora
December 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
stop wasting your life kiddo :/

Paqman
December 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Sounds about as much fun as a root canal.

pwnst*r
December 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I have way too much time on my hands.

^^this.

forrestcupp
December 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Apperently GNOME takes about 12 hrs to compile. It's worth it.

Ha, ha. Yeah. You're main menu will be able to open a hundredth of a second faster! :)

Mighty_Joe
December 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
My comment (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8348463&postcount=12) is the same as the last time you posted about Gentoo. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1330907&highlight=gentoo)

Pogeymanz
December 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Lol. Got my base system installed, genkernel is a breeze. Got alsa working. Framebuffer working 100% Now all I need to do is install Xorg and GNOME. Apperently GNOME takes about 12 hrs to compile. It's worth it. My use tags are good, I got the hang of using rc-update. Now mplayer is installing, i hope to play all my songs in there, or maybe install moc. Either way, it's been pretty fun so far. Darn, I have way too much time on my hands.

Hey man, don't listen to the haters. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Gentoo is a lot of fun. I have it in a VM, but I didn't give enough disk space to compile Xorg! Whoops.

You took the easy way out with genkernel. It's way more legit to build your own. I still think that USE-flags are very weird, but fascinating. In Arch you'd have to compile those things out in every PKGBUILD.

Xbehave
December 30th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have it in a VM, but I didn't give enough disk space to compile Xorg! Whoops.
What is the point of compiling everthing if your going to loose that little performance gain by running it in a VM anyway?

It's way more legit to build your own.
Just because something is painful doesn't mean it's worth it (unless you enjoy pain ofc)

insane_alien
December 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM
emerging would be good if we had the time.

most people don't. they want updates to be quick and not have to tolerate the computer slowing down all day. fine for the enthusiast, not so fine for someone who just need to get some work done.

Bachstelze
December 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
lol genkernel

hessiess
December 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM
What is the point of compiling everthing if your going to loose that little performance gain by running it in a VM anyway?

Running Gentoo in a VM is good for learning about the lower level features Linux without the inconvenience of trying it on bare hardware. I have installed Gentoo like this, but it takes too much time to consider using it as a everyday distro.

deadalus.globalnode
December 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Way to go, I just recompiled my Slackware kernel over Christmas and am considering trying Gentoo. I agree It is fun and worth doing. perhaps I have to much time on my hands to.

aktiwers
December 30th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I apt-build on Ubuntu - its not waste of time in my opinion. I rebuild my entire OS with the flags i needed, and build a 2.6.32 kernel and optimized it for my need. Things does run more smoothly.

Yeah it takes time, but I have a terminal running on another workspace and it usually does it's stuff without any hickups. So its not wasting my time at all :P

Sabayon got me hooked on compiling stuff. They made a good tutorial here about build flags and other stuff:
http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=10578

Pogeymanz
December 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Just because something is painful doesn't mean it's worth it (unless you enjoy pain ofc)

You're assuming that the only reason people install Gentoo is for performance. I installed it to see how they do things. It's like a better version of FreeBSD, for me. Emerge is a great package manager and the philosophy of control and transparency is appealing to me.

Obviously Gentoo is not for you because you see that as painful. I like the control over my computer. I (unlike a lot of people) admit that I'm not ALWAYS working when I'm at a computer. I can tolerate an update taking a little while, especially a big package that would take hours to compile (seriously, 12 hours??). Also, you should never run updates when you expect to be working in ten minutes. Stuff breaks sometimes and you can lose hours to an update on any distro.

deadalus.globalnode
December 30th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Same here, the main reason I recompiled was to learn. The extra speed does help but it was not the main reason.

xuCGC002
December 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Don't you have school, or something? I'm assuming you're in winter break, but still, you seem to have too much time on your hands. Unless you're a dropout.

Xbehave
December 30th, 2009, 06:21 PM
You're assuming that the only reason people install Gentoo is for performance.
Well other than learning, most of the gentoo benefits (security, small install size (once installed), etc are pretty nullified when running in a VM.

Emerge is a great package manager and the philosophy of control and transparency is appealing to me.What do you mean? How is Emerge more transparent than apt or rpm?

I like the control over my computer. I (unlike a lot of people) admit that I'm not ALWAYS working when I'm at a computer.I'm the same way, i just don't enjoy pain while using it. I'm a fan of having a stable setup to experiment from not taking 12hrs to install a package is just a bonus :P

Also, you should never run updates when you expect to be working in ten minutes. Stuff breaks sometimes and you can lose hours to an update on any distro.What distros are you using? A simple update hasn't given me problems in years, I've only broken stuff when i've gone looking for trouble, in fact i'll often update before doing anything just to make sure i'm running the latest versions of everything.

Greg
December 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM
lol genkernel

That was my thought. I'm certainly no Gentoo expert, and it's never been my main system, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Xbehave
December 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
That was my thought. I'm certainly no Gentoo expert, and it's never been my main system, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?
isn't genkernel just like make localyrsconfig, it's just any easy way to sort your out your hardware dependencies you still get the fun of sorting out optimization and other kernel features

Greg
December 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM
isn't genkernel just like make localyrsconfig, it's just any easy way to sort your out your hardware dependencies you still get the fun of sorting out optimization and other kernel features

No, I'm pretty sure that it just gives you the generic kernel.

RATM_Owns
December 31st, 2009, 12:40 AM
lol genkernel
Agreed.

@Greg, no. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genkernel
It builds you a generic kernel which will work on just about any computer.

And screw GNOME/KDE. They're both ****** DEs and not worth anyone's time.
Use any of these three: Openbox, dwm (ALWAYS less than 10k lines of code! :D), XMonad

dragos240
December 31st, 2009, 12:50 AM
Agreed.

Use any of these three: Openbox, dwm (ALWAYS less than 10k lines of code! :D), XMonad

I couldn't disagree more. I love GNOME. Although, I still do love a good tiling wm.

RATM_Owns
December 31st, 2009, 02:34 AM
I used to use GNOME. I mean, my computer is newish, so I could easily run it. But I like Openbox more. It's just much better in my opinion.

Dwm and XMonad are just awesome. Dwm for it's minimality and XMonad because *insert ever-growing list of XMonad pros here*.

RiceMonster
December 31st, 2009, 02:43 AM
Apperently GNOME takes about 12 hrs to compile. It's worth it.

I can't imagine how it would be. This is why I have no interest in gentoo. The only reason I installed arch again when I set up a dual boot with Windows 7 is because I can get a complete, working system in 1-2 hours now (that includes KDE and everything). I'm really starting to become less interested in these "do it yourself distros".

Greg
December 31st, 2009, 05:30 AM
Agreed.

Isn't that what I said?

;;Confused

falconindy
December 31st, 2009, 05:33 AM
Let us know when you "emerge" from your basement.

I think this (http://funroll-loops.info/) is relevant.

nw2001
December 31st, 2009, 06:07 AM
Its nice to see every one is mature when it comes to others using different distros. /sarcasm

HappyFeet
December 31st, 2009, 06:59 AM
http://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/index_files/gentoo.jpg

judge jankum
December 31st, 2009, 07:06 AM
I think I'm about to emerge !!!!! NO WAIT!!! I'm goin' down!!!! Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

kevCast
December 31st, 2009, 07:47 AM
I don't understand why you made an Ubuntu install from source, but, it's your time, and your hardware.

Hope you have more fun with Gentoo than I did.

schauerlich
December 31st, 2009, 08:14 AM
If we tell you you're a real geek just like RMS will you stop posting threads like this?

dragos240
December 31st, 2009, 03:29 PM
If we tell you you're a real geek just like RMS will you stop posting threads like this?

No. And I don't think that you could stop 今幸福 either.

Zoot7
December 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM
I remember when I tried out Gentoo, it took me the better part of 3 days to actually get it set up to my needs. But I did find it very quick compared to openSUSE (which was my main distro at the time).
Debian Squeeze (to become Etch) was a breath of fresh air afterwards, despite being quite a bit slower in places. :)

I'm really starting to become less interested in these "do it yourself distros".
After hopping around between distros for the better part of a year now, I'm beginning to share this sentiment.

schauerlich
December 31st, 2009, 08:13 PM
No. And I don't think that you could stop 今幸福 either.

今幸福 just posts threads to post threads. He isn't constantly seeking validation or "geek cred".

Pogeymanz
December 31st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Well other than learning, most of the gentoo benefits (security, small install size (once installed), etc are pretty nullified when running in a VM.

That's all true. But I only have one OS on my hard disk and I'd rather try things in a VM than resize my partitions, etc. Especially because I don't need two Linux OSes for a dual boot. If Gentoo turns out to be better for me than Arch, then I'll just backup and have only Gentoo on my computer.

What do you mean? How is Emerge more transparent than apt or rpm?

I meant that Gentoo is more transparent than other distros. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm the same way, i just don't enjoy pain while using it. I'm a fan of having a stable setup to experiment from not taking 12hrs to install a package is just a bonus :P

I feel ya. You and I are just different. I've recompiled several apps in Arch just because I felt like disabling features and plugins that I don't need. Do I think there is any "real" practicality? Nah; I just like the fine-grained customization.

What distros are you using? A simple update hasn't given me problems in years, I've only broken stuff when i've gone looking for trouble, in fact i'll often update before doing anything just to make sure i'm running the latest versions of everything.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I guess when I think about it I only ever run into problems with Ubuntu's dist-upgrades or Arch updating Xorg/kernel.

dragos240
December 31st, 2009, 08:49 PM
今幸福 just posts threads to post threads. He isn't constantly seeking validation or "geek cred".

Well that's the same reason I post. I don't care about validation. I don't care about "geek cred", I just post what's on my mind here. Look at most of my posts, they're all about things that just happened, current events in my life. I post threads to entertain the cafe. Or just post what's on my mind at the time. Maybe ask for help here and there, maybe help someone out. I posted this topic to see if anyone else used gentoo, and liked the concept of emerge.

Exodist
January 1st, 2010, 06:25 AM
Well that's the same reason I post. I don't care about validation. I don't care about "geek cred", I just post what's on my mind here......
Keep posting mate! :)

chris200x9
January 1st, 2010, 07:01 AM
ports > portage

PurposeOfReason
January 1st, 2010, 07:18 AM
I lol'd a lot during this thread. First at the fact that installing everything is as easy as emerge [package] and then at genkernel.

I currently have two gentoo boxes, my main and server. The server will be going to debian because I can't get xbmc to compile and I'm really just sick of it so I'll probably take the desktop with it too. I'll be pissed if gentoo becomes the new arch. "ZOMG, on1y insta11 if your 1337. S000 H4RD."

Khakilang
January 1st, 2010, 07:33 AM
Sound like fun but its time consuming.

RiceMonster
January 1st, 2010, 09:06 AM
I lol'd a lot during this thread. First at the fact that installing everything is as easy as emerge [package] and then at genkernel.

I currently have two gentoo boxes, my main and server. The server will be going to debian because I can't get xbmc to compile and I'm really just sick of it so I'll probably take the desktop with it too. I'll be pissed if gentoo becomes the new arch. "ZOMG, on1y insta11 if your 1337. S000 H4RD."

It's more or less the "old arch".

http://funroll-loops.info/.