PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wallpaper changer with some extras

mikeliketrike
December 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I've recently built a digital photo frame using Ubuntu and keeping Gnome as my desktop environment. Everything's working great on it and glScreensaver does what I need it to do.
But I want to keep playing with it.
I want to add extras that other people's digital photo frames don't have. Screenlets would let me do that pretty easily, but they're behind glScreensaver and Feh when it runs in full screen slide show mode.

My thought is that I'd hide all the "regular" stuff on the desktop (icons, cursor, panels) and just change the wallpaper every 10 seconds or so. I'll throw a screenlet clock and maybe the weather on there and it'll be awesome.

Is there a program/script that will allow me to recursively pick a random wallpaper (I've got 17k+ pictures) from a directory every x seconds?

Feh's the first thing that came to my mind, but I don't know how to make it do what I want it to.

Thanks!

.nedberg
December 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM
In KDE4 you can select a folder to use for a slideshow... Not sure if it works recursively as I have never tested it. KDE4 also has "screenlets"!

nilarimogard
December 30th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Try Desktop Drapes (sudo apt-get install drapes) or this script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1344787

Gourgi
December 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM
sudo apt-get install wallpaper-tray
;)

mikeliketrike
December 31st, 2009, 12:14 AM
sudo apt-get install wallpaper-tray
;)

Woo hoo! Wallpaper try it is. It works perfectly.

So if anyone reading this after searching for something like diy digital photo frame or linux photo frame, use wallpaper tray. Use it instead of feh or a screensaver, it does the same function (rotates through pictures) but gives a lot more functionality.

I don't know if there's a tutorial spot in Ubuntu forums but using wallpaper tray along with screenlets to make an "above average" digital photo frame should be included.

Gourgi
January 2nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
glad you liked it , i use it too and it is just perfect for its purpose.
it should be included as default IMHO.

mikeliketrike
January 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
It's perfect for a digital photo frame, the only thing I don't like about it is it's a little CPU heavy.