PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transcode dnxhd to mpeg4

raccoonone
December 30th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I have a video encoded with dnxhd. But the file is hardly compressed at all and is ~4GB even though it's only 3min long. I tried to transcode it to mpeg4 using kdenlive, but it says that the render crashed. Is there a different program I can use for this?

Bachstelze
December 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
FFMpeg or Mencoder come to mind.

littlepeon
December 31st, 2009, 05:34 AM
not familiar with dnxhd...however have worked with hd video in the past and it produces huge files....
your not going to get anywhere trying to compress it more...kind of like trying to zip an mp3---not going to save much space....
havent worked with hd files in about 4 years...but if i recall the reason that they are so huge is that they carry mpeg/720/1080/etc data all together...u should be able to seperate out one stream and have a smaller file

good luck
-peon

raccoonone
December 31st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. So I realized that my problem is that I can't even play the file under Ubuntu. However, it plays just fine under Windows, so I know the file isn't corrupted.

Any suggestions how I can get it to play? I'm assuming I don't have the dnxhd codec for Ubuntu, but VLC and ffmpeg both claim that they support dnxhd.