PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a Desktop or Laptop

MooPi
December 30th, 2009, 05:22 AM
It seems that there is more interest these days in laptops. I have a netbook but use it rarely. My curiosity is what are you using and what would you prefer. I love my desktop and prefer it to any laptop. My reasons are I get so much more for my money in a desktop than any laptop could offer. I build my own and am able to pick and choose the best components for Linux. I never have compatibility issues for this reason. So tell what do you want to use and what are you using. Why you use it would be great as well. My computer is an AMD Athlon II X4 620, Asus motherboard /AMD 770 chipset/Geforce 9500Gt Vid, 2 gig ddr3, Lite-On DVD-RW, Rosewillg wirelessNIC, Acer 22"LCD . Total for my rig is in the neighborhood of $600 US dollars. It was recently purchased through Newegg.

RiceMonster
December 30th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I use both.

If I had to have only one though, I'd go with a laptop. Desktops are easier to upgrade and are often more reliable, but you don't get portability. So by that alone, I'd choose a laptop.

pwnst*r
December 30th, 2009, 05:35 AM
both. and since i'll never have to choose between the too, i'll keep it that way.

superspak
December 30th, 2009, 05:50 AM
i have both, but currently my desktop needs a new mobo, so the laptop works just fine for everything i need, even though its 4.5 years old haha

Gramps
December 30th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I have had a laptop for so long that I don't know if I could do without one. I also have a desktop but I don't use it very often except for printing, it has my printer connected to it. I also have a netbook that I carry with me mostof the time. In fact my wife and I both have laptops. If I really had to choose I would go with the laptop for the convience.

lisati
December 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I have a laptop and two desktops. For a short while I had two laptops and two desktops.......

For most day-to-day stuff I use my laptop, and normally only use my main desktop to help with backups. My other desktop is an older machine that I sometimes use for playing around with (currently hosting a SMALL and BORING web site http://lisati.myftp.org but this might change without notice)

steveneddy
December 30th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I have used a laptop exclusively for the last three years.

I like the power of my laptop which rivals most desktops and I really enjoy the portability.

I couldn't use a netbook due to the size. The screen is a little small for me, I'm getting old and losing my ability to see small type without use of glasses.

I will order a new System76 laptop after the first of the year. Probably whatever replaces the Serval Performance.

Skripka
December 30th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Tower and netbook. Tower as a 22" LCD panel and full keyboard and mouse, as well as computing power are to get things done. Netbook for on the go needs.

MasterNetra
December 30th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I use both myself. Laptop for everyday + work and a desktop for storage...though ironically my labtop stores more.

MooPi
December 30th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I'm seeing the pattern I expected but am surprised that people would shell out twice as much for a comparable laptop. I guess I'm a cheap bashtard.
Get it Bashtard.:P

pwnst*r
December 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM
wth is a labtop?

lisati
December 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM
wth is a labtop?

A computer you'd use in the science lab? :) (Sometimes when listening to my Samoan acquaintances I can't tell if they're saying "b" or "p" - their language has no "b")

MasterNetra
December 30th, 2009, 06:13 AM
wth is a labtop?

lol a common spelling mistake I do it all the time myself. They mean Laptop.

pwnst*r
December 30th, 2009, 06:27 AM
odd.

dmizer
December 30th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Thought this thread could use a poll.

Have fun.

Geezer60
December 30th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I'd go with a desktop. First, I don't travel much anymore, second the desktop is downstairs and no one goes down there but me. Ahhh the peace and quite. :)

MooPi
December 30th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the poll !

RiceMonster
December 30th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I'd go with a desktop. First, I don't travel much anymore, second the desktop is downstairs and no one goes down there but me. Ahhh the peace and quite. :)

You can't use a laptop downstairs?

MooPi
December 30th, 2009, 06:42 AM
You can't use a laptop downstairs?
Someone could move a laptop upstairs, or is it they could move the basement upstairs.

oldsoundguy
December 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM
pretty hard to haul around a 24" wide screen laptop .. if they even would ever exist.

I just like the ability to upgrade and change a desktop that is not available on a laptop .. and at a CHEAPER price.

Portability? I don't play games so the only need I have for such can be met by a PDA or a smart phone for eMail and web surfing.

Knowle
December 30th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Both. Since I've had my laptop though my desktop has become neglected. :(

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 30th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I have a gaming laptop. Of course, I don't play any games on it, not until StarCraft 2 or Black Mesa come out that is. I'm at university though, so I'm kind of glad I've got something that takes up a little less space. If I had my own place and the time and money, I'd like to build a high end desktop.

fromthehill
December 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
laptop only, I have close to no spare time so a desktop would be useless to me
I do have a desktop(well 8), but I don't have time to use them (not even to sell them)

I do use a cheap celeron 220 matx board with 2x1TB disks for downloading and backup

MooPi
December 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I have a gaming laptop. Of course, I don't play any games on it, not until StarCraft 2 or Black Mesa come out that is. I'm at university though, so I'm kind of glad I've got something that takes up a little less space. If I had my own place and the time and money, I'd like to build a high end desktop.

I'm anticipating Black Mesa as well, Half-Life with great graphics. My nephew wants to play games but wants a laptop instead of a desktop. I'm trying to convince the boy that a laptop played consistently will wear out much sooner and cost much more that he can afford. He doesn't have the money for even a middle tier laptop. I'm probably going to throw him an older desktop to refurbish and beef up to play games.

HappinessNow
December 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
both.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 30th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I haven't read through any of the posts here.

But it's my opinion that the majority of people who use laptops don't actually need them. With a laptop your making a major sacrifice of computing power in the name of being able to unplug your computer from the wall socket and do anything you want anywhere you want for the two hours that the battery will last before you have to plug into an electrical outlet again. I was watching the movie 28 Days Later last night and unless I was on the run from zombies and could somehow recharge it through my car's cigarette lighter I can't think of any reason why I'd need to have a laptop.

I go to college and a lot of the students got laptops before coming. But rarely do the students even bring their laptops to class (the school provides computers for us to use) and they just end up sitting at the dorms 95% of the time. I guess the argument is that when you go home on the weekends you don't have to go through the bother of unplugging all of your computer components and making trips out to your car. But for the price to performance ratio your sacrificing on buying a laptop I think I'd rather buy a desktop system and have to deal with lugging the thing around once a week.

</rant>

LowSky
December 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
At home its all about my desktop. Work issued me a laptop and I use it only occasionally at home. My Netbook got a lot of use when I was taking classes, but now its only used sometimes as a music hub when I want to listen outside or in my basement of my house.

witeshark17
December 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I use both. I prefer the laptop a bit for obvious reasons; it's cool to see internet from a coffee bar. :popcorn:

RiceMonster
December 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I haven't read through any of the posts here.

But it's my opinion that the majority of people who use laptops don't actually need them. With a laptop your making a major sacrifice of computing power in the name of being able to unplug your computer from the wall socket and do anything you want anywhere you want for the two hours that the battery will last before you have to plug into an electrical outlet again. I was watching the movie 28 Days Later last night and unless I was on the run from zombies and could somehow recharge it through my car's cigarette lighter I can't think of any reason why I'd need to have a laptop.

I go to college and a lot of the students got laptops before coming. But rarely do the students even bring their laptops to class (the school provides computers for us to use) and they just end up sitting at the dorms 95% of the time. I guess the argument is that when you go home on the weekends you don't have to go through the bother of unplugging all of your computer components and making trips out to your car. But for the price to performance ratio your sacrificing on buying a laptop I think I'd rather buy a desktop system and have to deal with lugging the thing around once a week.

</rant>

How do you know they actually need the computing power they're "sacrificing"? I mean, unless you're a big time gamer, I don't think anyone else is going to be effected by not having a space shuttle for a computer. My 2 year old laptop gives me more than enough computing power for what I want to do. The only thing that's really out of the question is high end games.

SuperSonic4
December 30th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Desktop for the following reasons (I use my laptop a negligible amount to consider it as used compared to the desktop)

Cheaper
Easier to upgrade components
Faster for intensive tasks
Easier to change/install more components (I have 4 CD drives and 3 HDDs - wouldn't happen on the craptop. More optical drives is excellent for direct CD copying or burning from a Live CD)
Easier to connect extra peripherals to
7.1 sound OOTB

Only downside is portability but I rarely go online outside my room (don't like people looking over my shoulder at what I consider to be a private conversation)

Roasted
December 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Both.

No matter how much you want to argue it, you always get better value in a desktop. I can get a ton more power out of a desktop for less than an even semi comparable laptop. However, I couldn't live without a laptop either.

I like my desktop for dual screen usage, main storage, file server access, etc. My laptop just kind of leeches files off of my main desktop file server and does little things.

I love both of them so much that I couldn't live without either. However, I acknowledge what the pros/cons are of each option and utilize their pros to the max.

mali2297
December 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I own two laptops: a desktop replacement and a netbook. I do not feel the need of a more powerful computer. I rather save space on my desk, and in my bag. The netbook is really handy when on travel. I do not own a car so everything that I want to bring with me I must carry.

jomiolto
December 30th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Laptop only. I wouldn't mind having a nettop (I don't like noisy and power hungry desktops), but they're generally not available around here :(

The only thing that actually bothers me about my laptop is the single core processor. I'd like to have at least two cores (preferable more :P ) for multi-threaded programming. The screen is also smallish, but 1280x800 is enough if that's all you have :P

blur xc
December 30th, 2009, 11:04 PM
It seems that there is more interest these days in laptops. I have a netbook but use it rarely. My curiosity is what are you using and what would you prefer. I love my desktop and prefer it to any laptop. My reasons are I get so much more for my money in a desktop than any laptop could offer. I build my own and am able to pick and choose the best components for Linux. I never have compatibility issues for this reason. So tell what do you want to use and what are you using. Why you use it would be great as well. My computer is an AMD Athlon II X4 620, Asus motherboard /AMD 770 chipset/Geforce 9500Gt Vid, 2 gig ddr3, Lite-On DVD-RW, Rosewillg wirelessNIC, Acer 22"LCD . Total for my rig is in the neighborhood of $600 US dollars. It was recently purchased through Newegg.

Both- for work I use a laptop, dell precision m6300, cost a bit over $5k when purchased...I would have opted for a desktop, but that's a LOT harder to carry on a plane when I ahve to travel for work...not that the m6300 is an ultra portable computer either. It's about as heavy as my desktop...

my main home pc is a desktop, my first custom build. Sadly, it's got more oomph than the laptop, is more expandable (duh), and only cost $1000. To be fair, that price didn't include a keyboard, mouse, or monitor, which, obviously did come w/ the laptop.

The video card in the laptop is better though, I think, than my desktop video card.

BM

SchizmWolf
December 30th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I *have* a desktop, but it's so old and outdated that I get frustrated with it easily (it has a Pentium II processor, for cripes' sake). Haven't used it in years. Frankly, my laptop is much more convenient and powerful; I can take it anywhere, and, living in dorms, it's more space-smart that a bulky tower.

gsmanners
December 30th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Desktops are much better. They may not be as portable, but at least they aren't filled with unreliable, overpriced hardware.

aaaantoine
December 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Laptops. I temporarily had a desktop, but the graphics card broke and I stopped using it. So, just laptops.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM
How do you know they actually need the computing power they're "sacrificing"? I mean, unless you're a big time gamer, I don't think anyone else is going to be effected by not having a space shuttle for a computer. My 2 year old laptop gives me more than enough computing power for what I want to do. The only thing that's really out of the question is high end games.
Everyone benefits from more power, whether they know it or not. Say you have the choice between buying a $1000 desktop or a $1000 laptop. The desktop is going to be vastly powerful than the laptop. Even if you don't do a lot of intensive tasks on your computer, the power (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD space) it takes to run applications is going to increase as the years go by. If you bought the laptop you'll have to upgrade to a newer computer to do those same tasks sooner than if you had spent the same amount on the more powerful desktop. So desktops are less wasteful and more cost effective.

gjoellee
December 31st, 2009, 12:43 AM
We have 6 laptops in the house. We just gave away our desktop.

MooPi
December 31st, 2009, 01:26 AM
We have 6 laptops in the house. We just gave away our desktop.
I'd hate to see the bill for those laptops.:neutral:

drawkcab
December 31st, 2009, 02:05 AM
Laptop, netbook and nettop as htpc

venator260
December 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Both. And they're both outdated, lol.

In 2005, a laptop with comparable power to the desktop that I bought from Dell would have cost much more than the $800 (US) that I paid for it (that price includes mouse, monitor, keyboard, and a freebie printer). It still runs Ubuntu quite nicely. I only feel limited by the 512Kb of RAM, which is a 50 dollar fix (and just as soon as I have 50 spare dollars, I'll fix it).

I also find my laptop very useful. Being able to remove myself from distractions and go to the library in college no doubt boosted my GPA. And now, if I want to use the computer in another room of my apartment or somewhere else entirely, it's not a problem. Ubuntu One and Pandora have made this even more convenient, as I can have a common spot to put my documents, and I have music wherever there's a wireless connection. But I still find it nicer to have the extra storage and power of my desktop when I can.

doorknob60
December 31st, 2009, 07:31 AM
I voted Desktop only, though ironically I'm on my laptop right now :P I use my desktop 9% of the time though, so yeah :)

HappyFeet
December 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM
I can't see shelling out big money for a laptop. I'm home most of the time, so using my quad core desktop makes more sense to me.

I have a 12" IBM lappie and run puppy on a flash drive, but only use it once in a while. I can live without a computer if I go out.

zipperback
December 31st, 2009, 07:36 AM
I have both a laptop and a desktop system.

Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5050 with 64bit AMD MK68 processor.

Desktop is HP Pavilion with AMD 64bit Phenom X4 processor.

Both running Ubuntu.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

dhysk
December 31st, 2009, 07:44 AM
I voted Desktop only, though ironically I'm on my laptop right now :P I use my desktop 9% of the time though, so yeah :)

9 or 90? either way I'd say thats a both.

Me both. If I'm at home I kick everybody off my desktop. Nothing like dual 21 inch monitors. However I'm forced to travel a lot so I do use my laptop quite often. Oh, and nothing can beat the usefulness and mobility of a laptop especially when on the carper.

Khakilang
December 31st, 2009, 07:58 AM
Just in case I need that extra speed desktop is much easier to upgrade. Like graphic card, RAM, CPU and extra hard disk. The price is cheaper and easier to maintain. I use Laptop mostly when I am out and need to access the internet from a Wifi area. Its expensive and much to upgrade and more expensive to maintain. So I handle my laptop with care.

premamotion
December 31st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Both, but I preffer Ubuntu on laptop!

e-Gee
December 31st, 2009, 11:16 AM
and netbook and 2 more desktops and one server all Ubuntu

SuperSonic4
December 31st, 2009, 09:59 PM

Seconded on that - the laptop is good for trying out [testing] :guitar:

I just upgraded the desktop's ram for about £70 and it has 16x that of the laptop

dragos240
December 31st, 2009, 10:01 PM
I use a desktop at my main home. And a laptop at my other home.

alakazam
December 31st, 2009, 10:16 PM
Both

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 31st, 2009, 10:21 PM
In my house the are:
a) Three desktops; two HP desktops for the grandchildren. I also use one of the HP desktops to test new releases and distro hop. I have one Lenovo for a family multi-media/server.
b) Six laptops/netbooks; one Dell laptop for me, one Asus eeePC netbook for the wife, one eMachine laptop for the wife, one Toshiba laptop for the oldest daughter, one HP laptop for the youngest daughter, one HP laptop for the son.

Both :)!!!

They are all various single boot, dual boot, or triple boot configurations of; *Nix, XP, and Vista. One of the desktops has XP and *Nix, and two have Vista and *Nix. One laptop has XP, and two have Vista. The rest are all *Nix.

deadalus.globalnode
December 31st, 2009, 10:25 PM
I have four desktops and two laptops, all of which are at least 10 years or so old:). I am hopping to get a laptop soon and then that will be pretty much the only one I use.

user1397
December 31st, 2009, 10:36 PM
I have a core 2 duo desktop with fairly decent components.

I think my next computer will be a laptop with a solid state drive, but I want to wait till they become as cheap or cheaper than HDDs.

Zoot7
December 31st, 2009, 10:44 PM
I use a Laptop for everything except games, for those I've a homebuilt Quad Core desktop.

Matthewthegreat
January 1st, 2010, 12:45 AM
I didn't know what to put down. I have a desktop and a netbook so I went with both. I had a laptop but I sold it. I like desktops better then laptops.

RandomJoe
January 1st, 2010, 06:32 AM
I use both. At one point several years ago I had gotten to where I was primarily working off a laptop, then built a very nice desktop. Used that until recently, and found I missed the portability, thus now have a new laptop for the primary machine.

I tend to "vegetate" when I sit at the same desk all the time. Gets very difficult to be creative or do much thinking after a while. It's nice being able to just pick up the laptop and move elsewhere. Kick back in the recliner, sit at the dining table, lay down in bed, even head outside and sit in the yard!

I have definitely been spoiled on multi-head, though. I have run as many as four displays on the desktop system! And I plug the laptop into an external display and use it along with the built-in display when sitting at my desk.

suman_kol
January 1st, 2010, 10:34 AM
desktop only.

Eldera
January 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
Different people have different needs. This thread is a good example of everybody using what works for them.

I now use laptops only. I am 74 and need to compensate for some physical changes. My feet swell and I get backaches when I sit at a desktop. I can use a laptop in an easy chair with my feet on a footstool. I gave away a desktop just a month ago because using it was too painful, literally.

I use a laptop rather than a netbook because a 15.6 in screen is better for my eyesight, which is also changing, and a medium sized laptop is not to heavy to hold.

I just have to be careful not to grab my AC cords instead of my yarn when I am knitting. :lolflag:

Barrucadu
January 1st, 2010, 01:39 PM
I currently only use a laptop, though when I go to university I plan to build myself a fairly powerful desktop.

The Real Dave
January 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Desktop, I've plenty of them, but no laptop :( I'm currently hunting for something in the <€100 region. I mean, 256Mb of RAM would be plenty :)

lais
January 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
voted for "Desktop Only" by mistake. Meant to vote for "Laptop Only".

quickdraw
January 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
I have both a laptop and a "desktop". I primarily use my laptop, since my "desktop" is actually connected to my television and is used as a all-around entertainment PC.

mamamia88
January 1st, 2010, 04:18 PM
i have a 17" laptop that i use as a desktop and i use my netbook around the house to surf the web etc