PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Totem for You Tube Video

carolina
December 30th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and have been using Totem to play downloaded Audio files with no problems . However , if i try and use Totem to download a You Tube Video after copying and pasting the url provided by You Tube nothing happens within Totem . I did update video codecs , etc .

Any suggestions welcomed

Thanks

:(

HappyFeet
December 30th, 2009, 02:20 AM
How did you install flash?

carolina
December 30th, 2009, 03:28 AM
How did you install flash?

To tell the truth i can't remember for certain but think it was via an upgrade . Totem will play on - line videos . It's just that i would like to be able to download and play later as i have very poor connection for playing on - line .

I do see the option within You Tube to embed video but not familiar with that either . Is there a specific application you can recommend that will allow me to embed that runs well in Ubuntu ?

ron999
December 30th, 2009, 03:43 AM

Robster2
December 30th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I have had problems with Totem I use Mplayer or Movie Player.

Do me a favour and try this.

Applications>Accessories>Terminal

Code

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Run that and try totem again.

carolina
December 30th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I have had problems with Totem I use Mplayer or Movie Player.

Do me a favour and try this.

Applications>Accessories>Terminal

Code

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Run that and try totem again.

Did as instructed and no errors but Totem still doesn't respond . Guess i will just have to download to hard drive at 3am because of my connection speed. :)

carolina
December 31st, 2009, 04:46 AM
Problem Solved !

Found a fix by installing FireFox add - on Download Helper & then going to videolan.org and installing VLC media player for my version of Ubuntu .

Don't know why it works so well but so far it looks good as my download speeds have increased significantly . I have tested by playing in Totem and videos run fine . Excellent add -on based on my limited experience with it .

I have pulled videos from You Tube , Google and even some small stand alone sites with no issues . I especially like the fact that the application will convert , if necessary , to the proper format for playing .:)