PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] karmic kde locks up keyboard/mouse

maestrobwh1
December 30th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I have an issue with karmic on a t43 Thinkpad where the keyboard and mouse buttons (the cursor still can move) stop responding. Pressing the powerbutton prompts a logout and I wait for the 30 seconds to go by and logout restarts the login dialog. Logging back in solves the problem. THIS IS NOT A HARD LOCKUP THEN.

This is a thinkpad that has upper and lower mouse buttons on the touchpad. At some point, there was no support for the lower set (stopped working). I am not sure if this is related.

[edit]
Running Kubuntu, but I find other posts similar to this issue that also happen in gnome and they seem to involve laptops. Please read below and if you see something like I listed in the next post and you have a usb mouse you can plug in and this lets you regain access to the desktop, post back. I want to gather info to file a bug.

I did a fresh install since this became so annoying. I am now seeing the same exact thing!

Help?

cybergalvez
December 30th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I don't think its your think pad, I am having the very same issue with the gnome desktop on my desktop

maestrobwh1
December 31st, 2009, 02:54 PM
The only think that I can do other than hit the power button to logout is unplug or replug a usb mouse. This also seems to "fix" the issue temporarily.

I also installed "gsynaptics" and deactivated the touch pad when I am using the mouse.

[I think] There is something recent with something to do with the touchpad and a recent update.* The bottom 2 buttons on the thinkpad are inoperable most of the time (when the pad is activated via gsnaptics), however sometimes one or the other will work. The upper two always work.

*I have an IDENTICAL machine that I have not "updated" in several weeks, and that one works fine and all touchpad hardware works as expected all of the time.

I think I should report a bug if others are seeing something like this.

[edit]
Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-mouse/+bug/501942