PDA

View Full Version : Open Source/Linux in the Public

audax321
February 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I was just watching House M.D. Season 1 Episode 16 and noticed that towards the end Allison Cameron, one of House's employees, is using OpenOffice on her laptop with the Nimbus Roman font. Although the show was probably just trying to avoid showing anything Microsoft related possibly due to copyright issues I just started thinking if this occurs more often? Have any of you seen blatent open source/linuxy things in public? :-k

bonzodog
February 26th, 2006, 11:19 PM
An episode of 'Bones' on TV the other night, there was a laptop clearly running linux, as it actually did the whole boot sequence thing, with the start up list in framebuffer, then went to what I thought might have been Gnome, though with a very fancy analysis program running.

aysiu
February 26th, 2006, 11:32 PM
The new Roving Mars propaga... documentary features a lot of Sun Microsystems running what appears to be Linux.

Stormy Eyes
February 26th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Trinity used SSH in the second Matrix film.

briancurtin
February 27th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I was just watching House M.D. Season 1 Episode 16 and noticed that towards the end Allison Cameron, one of House's employees, is using OpenOffice on her laptop with the Nimbus Roman font. Although the show was probably just trying to avoid showing anything Microsoft related possibly due to copyright issues I just started thinking if this occurs more often? Have any of you seen blatent open source/linuxy things in public? :-k
i will have to look for that, i have the DVDs. i love that show more than life.

BWF89
February 27th, 2006, 01:23 AM
There was a commercial for some kind of business oriented firewall or anti-hacker thing and this guy was trying to break into a network useing Fedora Core and some kind of command prompt.

Attack of the Show and Call for Help on G4 use Firefox as their browser also.

That's all I can think of right now.

augied
February 27th, 2006, 03:13 AM
In the Veronica Mars episode "Weapons of Class Destruction" there's a scene that starts with two people arguing over operating systems. One is trying to get the other (a mac user) to try Ubuntu. Unfortunately the Ubuntu user turned out to be the bad guy in the episode.

mstlyevil
February 27th, 2006, 04:13 AM
I have seen KDE being used on CSI Las Vegas.

aysiu
February 27th, 2006, 04:13 AM
In the Veronica Mars episode "Weapons of Class Destruction" there's a scene that starts with two people arguing over operating systems. One is trying to get the other (a mac user) to try Ubuntu. Unfortunately the Ubuntu user turned out to be the bad guy in the episode. Wow! Seriously? Ubuntu? That's cool.

alinuxfan
February 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM
i will have to look for that, i have the DVDs. i love that show more than life.

Yeah me too....but i don't have the DVDs yet....hmmm, need to bug the wife :p

that is cool...I like bones and CSI and my wife watches Veronica Mars....today turned out to be a good day
haha

joflow
February 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I've seen alot of OS in public (but not on TV).

Saw an hoary CD lying on my desktop at my school's multimedia center. I have no idea who put it there, but it was kind of neat as I had never seen a ubuntu ship-it CD before (I must say, they are professionally packaged)

My school also encourages people to install OpenOffice and Firefox. Lately, I've been seeing Firefox EVERYWHERE. Seems like every student with a laptop is using firefox.

Gustav
February 27th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Not really open source but...

In Jurassic Park (or is it Lost World?) a girl is looking at a computer with a 3D-gui a la Hackers (You must have seen that one!) and she sais "I know this, this is Unix".

mostwanted
February 27th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Not really open source but...

In Jurassic Park (or is it Lost World?) a girl is looking at a computer with a 3D-gui a la Hackers (You must have seen that one!) and she sais "I know this, this is Unix".

I think it's the first one :)

lol @ those 3D interfaces. It's screams nineties hollywood production.

BTW, that avatar of your's is cool :)

Gustav
February 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Thank you.