PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Xp not found with 9.10 install

andycrofts
December 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hi.
I've an ancient IBM T30 laptop which currently runs Windows XP. 40G HDD, 256Meg Ram. I try to install 9.10, but the partitioner tells me there is no other OS on the system. I've cleaned XP (relatively fresh install) and defragged it.
I do notice some messages regarding a problem with - IIRC - sr0, whatever that is, but upto the partitioner bit, it's OK. Disk checked, as is memory.
I've installed Karmic on this machine before, with the previously running XP, and it was fine. (I reinstalled, because XP was getting ridiculously slow. I only need XP for a few websites needing Active-X, like job agencies).
Karmic runs OK - albeit slowly - as a Live CD.
Any ideas?
I may try to install Jaunty. If that works, then upgrade from the net. However, it's a long process.

drs305
December 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM
You might try shrinking your Windows partition from within Windows, then using the manual partitioning for the Ubuntu install.

Here is a link to a YouTube video that shows how to resize the Windows partition. Hat tip to Robster2 for posting it in another thread. http://www.youtube.com/user/CoverlessTech#p/a/E8F1691C3779BDC3/2/cXZKRyvSqwQ Start watching at the 5:00 point.

Syndri
December 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
im not gonna lie your pc is probably too old
you might wanna go with Xubuntu
it uses xfce instead which will run alot faster

andycrofts
December 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
im not gonna lie your pc is probably too old
you might wanna go with Xubuntu
it uses xfce instead which will run alot faster
No, I've installed it before - no problem.

andycrofts
December 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Drs305. It'll take all night, however (partially depending on how many "cups of prohibition coffee" I take ;-)