PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Shortcut for switching layout conflictы with others shortcuts with this keys

PiaFraus
December 29th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Problem as I see it:

Keyboard layouts are switched by pressing keys. Not by releasing it.

This lead to situations like this:

If my key-sequence for switching is Ctrl+Shift, I couldn't use Ctrl+Shift+Any other key in Keyboard Shortcuts menu. Also Ctrl+Shift+S is not working for programs like GEDIT .

Same behaviour for others Keyb.layout.shortkeys.

Example:

In System->Preference->Keyboard->Keyboard->Layouts->Layouts options->Key(s) to change layout:
Shift+Alt
In System->Preference->Keyboard shortcuts:

I choose any line and try to press Shift+Alt+Z, instead of this I get Shift+Z. If I press Alt+Shift+Z, I get Alt+Z.

I tried to find anything similar to this problem, but can't. Any ideas how to make layouts switching only by releasing Ctrl+Shift?

My system:
Asus eee 1000HE with Ubuntu 9.10

nETPOBu4
January 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I can confirm this: its affects me too.

Dmitri S
April 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I've got the same problem in Lucid, Shift+Alt combination of switching keyboard languages conflicts with Eclipse refactor shortcuts.
For example when I try to rename a method, using Shift+Alt+R, the keyboard language switches only.

As I remember, in Karmic Shift+Alt and Alt+Shift combinations were different. And it allowed to use Eclipse shortcuts also, pressing Alt+Shift+R for example. But seems that now in Lucid it doesn't work.

simosx
May 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I've got the same problem in Lucid, Shift+Alt combination of switching keyboard languages conflicts with Eclipse refactor shortcuts.
For example when I try to rename a method, using Shift+Alt+R, the keyboard language switches only.

As I remember, in Karmic Shift+Alt and Alt+Shift combinations were different. And it allowed to use Eclipse shortcuts also, pressing Alt+Shift+R for example. But seems that now in Lucid it doesn't work.

This 'Alt+Shift' for switching layouts that works as soon as it is pressed is a known issue, and I think it will take long to fix. You need to investigate the X.Org project, the 'XKB' or 'XKB2' components.

Personally I got used to using 'LShift+RShift' to switch layouts, which solves all these issues. It should take you about a week to get used to Shift+Shift and never look back :-).