PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Can't launch Gnome/Openbox session

DannyBiker
December 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hello,

I installed Openbox on my Karmic and while the Openbox session works just fine, I can't seem to launch the Gnome/Openbox session. It just go back to the main log screen.

Is there a solution for this ? The problem seems to be known for several distributions now but I haven't find something really up-to-date (understand, for 9.10) and I don't want to mess up with my system files.

Thanks !:)

MooPi
December 30th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Are you logging out then trying to start a Gnome session? You should be using GDM for login. At the bottom of the screen should be a selector that gives you an option to change the session.

bailout
December 30th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Did you get a fix for this? I am thinking of installing ubuntu on my netbook and if gnome openbox would work I would stick with that rather than unr.

sisyphus1978
January 1st, 2010, 06:25 PM
I was having trouble with this. Installing openbox allowed login to an openbox session, but GNOME/openbox would just loop back to login screen. Basically load gconf-editor and change
Key:
/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager
To value:
openbox

MPowers49
January 3rd, 2010, 01:18 AM
I was having trouble with this. Installing openbox allowed login to an openbox session, but GNOME/openbox would just loop back to login screen. Basically load gconf-editor and change

Having the same problem. Openbox session works ok, but I loop back to the login screen when I pick Gnome/Openbox. Tried the above suggestion. No luck.

buddyd16
January 25th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I have the same problem does anyone have a solution?

J V
April 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Severely gimped asking for help :?